SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281282 - 02/12/10 05:29 AM How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Several members have commented in recent months about cutting back on the number of performances they do annually. Some have done it for health reasons, others, for a variety.

Here's a question for the group:

If you anticipated cutting back your performances by 25% next year, what criteria would you use?

Would it be the lowest paying gigs?

Would it be the ones furthest away from home?

Would it be the later evening gigs?

Would it be the ones where getting paid seems to be a constant issue?

Would be it where the client isn't prepared? (ie room not ready, furniture needs moved, etc.)

I imagine for most, it would be a combination of several of these. I'd like to hear how others would handle this.

Cheers-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#281283 - 02/12/10 05:35 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill, the answer is too tied to your REASON for wanting to cut back. Different reason, different answer. But certainly, a 'hassle getting paid' would certainly be near the top , no matter what the reason for cutting back.

chas

#281284 - 02/12/10 05:59 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Bill, the answer is too tied to your REASON for wanting to cut back. Different reason, different answer. But certainly, a 'hassle getting paid' would certainly be near the top , no matter what the reason for cutting back.

chas

For me, its a dramatic change in our finances. Patty's about to graduate with her Masters in Nursing and already has offers that will take her into the six figures. I average about 425 jobs a year. I wouldn't mind a little more time off and Pat's insistent that I need to cut back. We don't have expensive tastes, plus we're soon to be down to just one child (of three) left at home.

Health wise, I'm fine...

I'm ballparking a goal of around 350 or so jobs for 2011. I'll do some cd projects on the side, so recouping at least some of the revenue I lose by doing fewer shows is very likely...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#281285 - 02/12/10 06:09 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill
Since money is not the sole criteria, I would simply cull them from the bottom up. The least favorites could be for any of your above reasons. We are all different, but, if the job isn't fun to play, I simply discard it. Life is too short.
Bernie

#281286 - 02/12/10 06:20 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
cgiles Offline

Wow, 350 gigs is still a lot. BTW, congrats to your wife. Hopefully, HER workload (and stress level) won't increase too much in any new job situation. Oh, and the two kids that have moved out; make them sign a written statement that they won't be moving back in .

As to your original question, with money not really being a factor, just think about which ones you enjoy least (for whatever reason). Those are the ones to cut.

chas

#281287 - 02/12/10 06:22 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
cgiles Offline

Bernie's post must have popped up while I was typing, but I see we're on the same page.

chas

#281288 - 02/12/10 06:30 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Wow, 350 gigs is still a lot. BTW, congrats to your wife. Hopefully, HER workload (and stress level) won't increase too much in any new job situation. Oh, and the two kids that have moved out; make them sign a written statement that they won't be moving back in .

As to your original question, with money not really being a factor, just think about which ones you enjoy least (for whatever reason). Those are the ones to cut.

chas

It has been a long, long hard climb but she'll be done in early June. Stress wise, she'll likely take a new position at one of her current clinical sites, so she'll know the people, the surroundings, etc. She won't have to juggle school, clinicals, work and family anymore, so it will be a dramatic net reduction in stress. Toss in the financial impact, that's another reduction in stress we're really looking forward to.

Good responses...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#281289 - 02/12/10 06:37 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess it depends on who you are handing the reins over to... Got a protegé? An understudy? Do you want him (or her) to continue to like you?

You might want to drop a combination of good and bad (just to be fair).

But if you are leaving the AD's to their own devices, drop the ones YOU hate the most, no matter the money or convenience (if you hate them, the money and convenience didn't matter, anyway).

#281290 - 02/12/10 08:33 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My cutbacks are going to be simple. I'm concentrating on 2 house gigs, maintaining my high profile regulars...usually corporations, horse farms or government/non-profit organizations I have on-going business with.

I'm turning down as many one-nighters as I can. Hopefilly, that will put me in the 250 job range...about 5 a week. That will include three nights at one restaurant, Sunday at a country club and the "fun" stuff... long-standing parties and dinners for clients I really like, some concerts with the local jazz arts organization, some charity work, etc. Of course, I'll still have my 10 or so films and the scores, which are my bread and butter and my best outlet for writing (both scripts and music).

Just tired of moving equipment so much.

Russ

#281291 - 02/12/10 08:35 AM Re: How to select clients to drop...How would you do it?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
And with the extra time, I'm going to think a little before I hit the "send" button, so I stop sending double-posts.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 02-12-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online