SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281257 - 02/11/10 02:55 PM Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I know there are many present and former organ players here, so let me ask:
1. Would you consider using a double-manual arranger?
2. If you did, would you play more like an oranist again?
3. Would you consider pedals?
4. What would you require in a 2-manual arranger?

#281258 - 02/11/10 03:24 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If it could be kept to the weight of a Nord C1/2 (under 35 lbs), I'd want the top manual 61 keys organ action (velocity can be ditched on organ sounds), and bottom manual 76 note weighted hammer action.

Bottom manual must be able to be split.

No bass pedals.

Black or polished walnut finish.

Under $4000.

Ian

#281259 - 02/11/10 03:55 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If it could be kept to the weight of a Nord C1/2 (under 35 lbs), I'd want the top manual 61 keys organ action (velocity can be ditched on organ sounds), and bottom manual 76 note weighted hammer action.

Bottom manual must be able to be split.

No bass pedals.

Black or polished walnut finish.

Under $4000.

Ian

It was starting to sound like a Roland Atelier until you mentioned under $4,000...

#281260 - 02/11/10 04:28 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
It was starting to sound like a Roland Atelier until you mentioned under $4,000...

Yes, and under 35 lbs as well.

Of course it would have to have all the Super Articulated voices, including the new SA Organs, plus mega voices and other Yamaha goodies.

I could live very happily with PSR-S910 action on top, with P-85 action on the bottom.

The S910 only weighs 25 lbs....a P-85, 25 lbs, even though it's weighted graded hammer, both instruments with speakers, no less.

Drop the P-85's number of keys down to weighted 76, and lose the speakers and amps in both it, and the PSR...yep, it could be done....whether it ever will or not, is another thing.

One can dream.

Ian

PS...Ateliers are very nicely designed, but way too heavy and, of course, they don't have the Yamaha sound/features that I love.

#281261 - 02/11/10 05:45 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
For some the answer is Yamaha D-Deck.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4nHH1cloc&feature=related

I think the DDK7 is a T2 in steroids and some other features, the screen is totally different. I did not see S.A.2 sounds.

Options are the Pedals, stand,etc.

I could be persuaded if is not over priced.

------------------
mdorantes

#281262 - 02/11/10 06:22 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I did a check and the Yamaha Stagea D-Deck is about the same price as the Tyros3. Did you know that Yamaha don't sell the psr s910 and Tyros3 in their own country? For the price of the psr s910 you can buy a Yamaha Stagea Mini in Japan. And Yamaha don't sell the Stagea models to our countries.
See a demo of the Stagea Mini at http://www.youtube.com/user/yamahacorporation#p/search/0/QW82sEW4ISs

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-11-2010).]

#281263 - 02/11/10 06:45 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
cassp Offline

I've looked longingly at the Stagea's, they are a great design. Hammond-Suzuki has some interesting keyboards too, also not available in the USA. I always felt a compact Hammond with arranger features would be the bomb.

OT - I'm a little disappoined that my XK-1 only has Epiano and clav alternate voices because a decent acc piano sample would make it a great stand alone keyboard.

#281264 - 02/11/10 07:28 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
I did a check and the Yamaha Stagea D-Deck is about the same price as the Tyros3. Did you know that Yamaha don't sell the psr s910 and Tyros3 in their own country? For the price of the psr s910 you can buy a Yamaha Stagea Mini in Japan. And Yamaha don't sell the Stagea models to our countries.
See a demo of the Stagea D-Deck at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4nHH1cloc

That's true in Japan high end arrangers aren't available. I think the Psr and Tyros line have the Yamaha organs engine in a different console. I've made a 3 manual organ out of a pair of arrangers (a Psr 900 and a Korg Pa500) a MS for Vsts and a Pk5 pedal. The Korg is a very good controller and soundsource but the Yamaha is amazingly easy converted into an organ and has special features specifically designed for that purpose such as controlling the bass line of the style independently from the chord played by using the pedals.
Actually a 2 manual arranger IS an organ without pedals. The advantage of using arrangers to make an organ is that I keep upgrading it and using the best from different manufacturers.

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#281265 - 02/11/10 07:34 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

OT - I'm a little disappoined that my XK-1 only has Epiano and clav alternate voices because a decent acc piano sample would make it a great stand alone keyboard.

A nice acoustic piano, rhodes, clav, and jazz guitar added to the top manual of the C1 wouldn't bother me either (as long as nothing else was touched - although I wouldn't cry if they added drawbars but no extra weight - but then they'd have to change the size of it to put them in the proper place - arrggggg, just no win).

chas

#281266 - 02/11/10 07:48 PM Re: Would you play a 2-manual arranger?
cassp Offline

Victor, do you have pictures?

Most double keyboard set ups are not as ergonomically fluid as an integrated double manual. I would consider something up to 40 lbs (18kg) if it had its own keyboard cover, ala Farfisa combo compact. Stand separate. 49/61 keys minimum, but 61/61 or 61/76 would be preferred. I could definitely do with less sounds IF the soundset was excellent; same with styles. just let us add either thru user banks via USB. Pedals optional, drawbars required.

I'm pretty much set with the arranger I've got now. At this time there's nothing out there shaking the tree; no new, gotta have features. Other than switching for switching's sake, there's no reason to go out and buy a different arranger. A double manual arranger would wake me up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online