SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#277060 - 12/02/09 12:46 PM Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi guys.

Here's a little something that you might find interesting, but first I need to be explain what's going on here so you can understand all this. I'm posting this so people will know why I keep banging on about how much more advanced the KORG sound engine is compared to the competition.

Here's an original tune I wrote and performed on a KORG Triton Studio. http://www.irishacts.com/leanbh-mo-chroi/Track%2011%20-%20Cainteach.mp3

Every single sound you can hear in the tune, and I mean everything is the result of me sampling two girls singing scales into a microphone.

By that I mean I would start with the lowest note the girl could sing and she would hold that note for a few seconds. The I would record the next semi tone up and keep going until I reached her top note.

I then took theses individual recordings and assigned them to notes on a keyboard so when I pressed the keys, I'd hear the girls singing the note I was pressing.

From there then I used the sound engine of the KORG to warp the sounds into a large combination of different sounds which resulted in everything I needed to create that tune you are listening to.

So everything you hear is the result of two girls voices computerised. No other material was used, no factory sounds, no nothing. Just two girls voices.

From this work and other voices I recorded I even released a Sample CD of all these sounds which will load into most KORG keyboards.
http://www.irishacts.com/ezypal/index.php?do=catalog&c=korg_triton_%2526_pa_series_libraries&i=vocal_assault

Regards
James

#277061 - 12/02/09 12:53 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
Irishacts Offline

Here's another original tune. Everything you hear except for the Twinkle Bell notes that come in at the Chorus are produced using the same methods I explained above.

http://www.irishacts.com/leanbh-mo-chroi/Track%2009%20-%20Neamhai.mp3

Regards
James

#277062 - 12/02/09 12:57 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
Irishacts Offline

One last example..
Here's what the voices sound like mixed with factory sounds and drums.

70% of what you hear are human voices warped by the Engine, the remaining 30% are factory sounds and drum kits.

http://www.irishacts.com/leanbh-mo-chroi/Track%2005%20-%20Banphrionsa%20Faye.mp3

Regards
James

#277063 - 12/02/09 01:15 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Nice work James, There is no doubt that Korg’s editing capabilities are at a high level (probably the best, compared to other keyboard companies). They have great sounds, especially the layered pianos, Rhodes & my fav was the i3 strings. (JMO)

But I see the Korg, especially PA2X more of a studio arranger, than a gigging arranger, not that it can’t be used as one. I know many people use them and before everyone jumps down my neck. I find with all those great Korg sounds (and they are great), Korg does not do enough to produce better quality styles. This all subjectable and based on different tastes, Yamaha has really improved with the mega voices and the guitars really bring a nice touch to their styles. Ketron (pre-audya)!! Drums and bass are in your face and styles just come alive like a band (remember pre-audya) Audya is a whole other discussion. Roland…(hasn’t released anything new to compare too) plus I’m bias ( I hated my g1000).

I wish Korg with all these great sounds would only produce better styles. Just my thoughts….

PS I'm not trying to start a mine is better than yours but as James opinion of Ketron and the audya (which I respect) is his. But I also would like to add korg keyboard to my giggs but I find 'others' better suited for my playing style than what Korg has release at this moment.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 12-02-2009).]

#277064 - 12/02/09 02:11 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:

I wish Korg with all these great sounds would only produce better styles. Just my thoughts….

I have several on-line friends using Korg arrangers, and that has been their biggest, and pretty well their only, complaint.

Do you think the same might be true for Audya, although, they do have their older models that have plenty of great styles that you could use in the former?

Ian

#277065 - 12/02/09 02:20 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
mc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I have several on-line friends using Korg arrangers, and that has been their biggest, and pretty well their only, complaint.

Do you think the same might be true for Audya, although, they do have their older models that have plenty of great styles that you could use in the former?

Ian

I put the audya aside only because everyone will jump on the "issues". But from what I heard online a playing one for a couple of hours the styles are extremely high quality. Just WOW, are the only words I can think of. The previous model always had great styles and very "band" like. But the Audya just sounds like a band, it hard to tell the difference.

#277066 - 12/02/09 02:25 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
Irishacts Offline

Hi mc

Quote:
But I see the Korg, especially PA2X more of a studio arranger, than a gigging arranger, not that it can’t be used as one. I know many people use them and before everyone jumps down my neck. I find with all those great Korg sounds (and they are great), Korg does not do enough to produce better quality styles. This all subjectable and based on different tastes, Yamaha has really improved with the mega voices and the guitars really bring a nice touch to their styles. Ketron (pre-audya)!! Drums and bass are in your face and styles just come alive like a band (remember pre-audya) Audya is a whole other discussion. Roland…(hasn’t released anything new to compare too) plus I’m bias ( I hated my g1000).

Those are all totally fair comments and something I respect. We are all individuals with certain needs and tastes as you said. The story with the Audya is a different matter and has nothing to do with sounds or styles. It's purely about what Ketron has done if you ask me.

Quote:
PS I'm not trying to start a mine is better than yours but as James opinion of Ketron and the audya (which I respect) is his.

I totally understand and even the purpose of this thread is not a mine is better than yours story either. It's simple meant to be a demonstration of just how advanced their sound engine is.

When you say you want better styles, what do you mean exactly though because the only difference I really see between Korg styles and other makes of keyboards is that the KORG styles tent to run much longer before they loop back to measure 1, where Yamaha styles for example are usually always in around 4 measures long.

Is it not better to have a style that runs more like a performance than a loop ?. Or are we talking about something entirely different ?

Regards
James

#277067 - 12/02/09 02:54 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Sounds good. You have done some excellent work with the sampler.

But the sound engine used, is the sampler, not necessary the on board sounds and not an arranger.

Good work however.

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 12-02-2009).]

#277068 - 12/02/09 02:58 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I originally had a song posted, but I feel that maybe it lead changing the direction of the thread.

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 12-02-2009).]

#277069 - 12/02/09 03:07 PM Re: Example of just how powerful KORG engines are.
mc Offline

Ok, let me get into "better quality" styles. I not am saying that all of styles are not useable. There are plenty of styles that sound good but as a whole think the styles should really stand out, in your face.

The drums have improved over the PA80, they sound much more real the sampling is much better. But I think it is the actual style assembly and/or the actual recording of each track, drum, bass, accomp. 1,2,3 etc that needs improvement.

The things that I would be looking from Korg is a much a fuller style. More a live band feel, plus a latin section overhaul.

KETRON SD5: 0:00- MERENGUE 0:30- SALSA 1:28- SLOW SWING 2:20- TENOR SAX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAUfsWF60V8

Latin Salsa http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa2x_demo.html?en

If you go to each demo section of the Korg and The Ketron http://www.ketron.it/demos/index.asp?lNum_idDemo=2 http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa2x_demo.html?en

There are some similar styles for each brand. Compare the sd5 styles assembly.

I would like to here your thoughts on comparisons.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online