SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269887 - 08/22/09 02:19 PM Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

I did an outdoor gig for a senior center today. When I arrived, there was a lady (who after the show told one of the seniors that she is booked into 2012) who was singing over MP3s with the Bose compact.

I thought she sounded pretty good. The sound wasn't perfect, but it had good presence in my opionion. It was my first time hearing this kind of Bose system.

Now I don't get a chance to hear myself perform. I was kind of nervous that my FBT's wouldn't cut the mustard. Also this lady had a very polished act, and mine is more quirky, so I was nervous.

My show went off very well. After I took my stuff down, I went to a table that had five seniors, and I told them that I was thinking of getting the sound system that the previous lady had, and I asked if my system sounded as good. One lady said bluntly, "Don't! Your system sounds much better. She sounded brassy, and you had a much more balanced sound." They all agreed that my system sounded much better.

Now I realize that we had different mics, that we are comparing her backup tracks to my Yamaha arrangements, and that she might not have been eq'd properly. Her setup was minimal, and I didn't see her mixer or FX system.

But I was happy to hear that my gear stacked up well, especially since I spent almost $1200 on these two speakers.

See http://www.fbtusa.net/files/Test_Report_10inch_Pow._Speakers_Tools_engl1.pdf for more info.

Beakybird

#269888 - 08/22/09 02:28 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

If I were in your shoes, I would contact Bose, or go to the local GC and purchase an L1 Compact, take it home and try it out, using YOUR SETUP. As you are well aware, the number of performers that have any sound system knowledge at all is very small. It's very likely that she did nothing other than plug in her MP3 player and mic, adjusted the volumes and said to herself "Sounds good to me!" Give the Bose L1 Compact a try--you have 45 days to make up your mind, and if you don't like what you hear, take it back for a full refund--no questions asked. I know of no other manufacturer with that kind of offer.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#269889 - 08/22/09 03:12 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You need a pair of compact's, thats the way to go.

Impuls

#269890 - 08/22/09 06:48 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
You need a pair of compact's, thats the way to go.

Impuls

+1.

Anything less and your playing in Mono. Virtual Stereo no more exists than Anti Ageing Cream. It's just marketing lies.

Two L1's sound seriously sweet. 6 of my friends are all paying with a pair now and two of them even doubled up on the Bins. What a sound...!!!!!

The L1's are fantastic, but you really nead a pair to hear the potential.

Just like listening to a speaker in mono vs stereo. You get as better idea of how it sounds in stereo.

James.

#269891 - 08/22/09 07:24 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
A pair of Compacts would still be cheaper than a new L1 mkI. If stereo is what you're after, two Compacts might be a winning duo. In that case, I would definitely consider a small stereo mixer or even the ToneMatch.

#269892 - 08/22/09 07:59 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I've read that people using the Tonematch have experienced improved quality of sound, even on tradtional speakers.

It might pay you to check it (the Tonematch) out.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269893 - 08/23/09 06:52 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

Why should I buy the Compact when the system I have already sounds great and already is in stereo.

Of course, two compacts will sound better than one. And four FBT Maxx 2A's will sound better than two. Or my Maxx 2A's with a small subwoofer, like the subwoofer that goes with my Logitech Z-5500, will sound better than just the two speakers.

Beakybird

#269894 - 08/23/09 07:26 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Why should I buy the Compact when the system I have already sounds great and already is in stereo.

You don't. Not unless your going to buy a two of them so you can play in stereo.

This is exactly why all the Ladies thought your sound was better. As I said, Virtual Stereo does not exist just like Anti Ageing Cream does not exist. Just just marketing hype.

Regards
James

#269895 - 08/23/09 08:59 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I've owned more than a dozen, high-quality, sound systems during the past two decades--all of which sounded good at the time, and they all served me very well during the time I used them. Until I took the Leap Of Faith and purchased the L1 I had no idea what could be accomplished using today's technology.

I HAVE used a pair of L1s, and yes, they sounded great. However, a pair of L1s didn't sound twice as good as a single L1. Not only did it add to the load I was already carrying, but additionally, the setup time increased as well. And, after setting up a pair of L1s, with a system placed 4-feet on each side of the keyboard, the only person that really benefited from stereo was ME! It only took a few seconds of walking throughout the huge venue to determine that the only perceptible change was in overall volume--the stereo effect was lost just 10 feet in front of the stage. AND, the audience could have cared less whether I was playing in stereo or mono--they were there to have a party and dance the night away, which is what they did. The second L1 went back to the place it was purchased the following day, and I have never looked back.

If you already own a sound system that sounds as good as the L1, provides the clarity and equal distribution of volume, then there is absolutely no reason for you to buy one--stick with what you have.

The Z-5500 is an outstanding, conventional, 5.1 surround-sound system. Performers throughout the world have been using them since the system became available--including myself. It's powerful, extremely clear and crisp, lightweight, and inexpensive. It can be modified to improve the midrange sounds, which both myself and Pose have demonstrated, the speaker connections can be changed to facilitate easier and faster setup times, and despite claims by non-owners about the system not being able to stand up to a heavy performance schedule, it seems to have held up quite well for thousands of full-time performers that are currently using it at a variety of venues.

The choice is yours. Stick with what you have, or try something new.

Good Luck on your decision,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#269896 - 08/23/09 09:31 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Larry,

The Z-5500 is an outstanding, conventional, 5.1 surround-sound system. Performers throughout the world have been using them since the system became available--including myself. It's powerful, extremely clear and crisp, lightweight, and inexpensive. It can be modified to improve the midrange sounds, which both myself and Pose have demonstrated, the speaker connections can be changed to facilitate easier and faster setup times, and despite claims by non-owners about the system not being able to stand up to a heavy performance schedule, it seems to have held up quite well for thousands of full-time performers that are currently using it at a variety of venues.

The choice is yours. Stick with what you have, or try something new.

Good Luck on your decision,

Gary

Thanks Gary:

Using the Z-5500 alone would never be an option for me. Too many pieces. I don't think the sound quality is that great either. I did bring the subwoofer with me for an outdoor performance at a festival where I was competing with a lot of other noise, and my two FBT's plus the Z-5500 subwoofer sounded very good.

I am pretty happy with what I got.

I would be curious to hear how the L1 Model 2 sounds, not the compact. As it is twice the price of my two FBT's, I would be surprised if it didn't sound superior. But maybe my two FBT's with the Logitech subwoofer could give it a run for it's money.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online