SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#269897 - 08/23/09 10:24 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
I HAVE used a pair of L1s, and yes, they sounded great. However, a pair of L1s didn't sound twice as good as a single L1.

You can't measure sound like that anyway. Adding more speakers does not double the quality.

The difference here is between mono vs stereo.

The bose systems are fantastic either way, but playing in true stereo makes a world of a difference to clarity and the separation of sound.

Anyone used to playing with a pair wouldn't play with just one set in a smaller venue. Well, that's what my friends say.

#269898 - 08/23/09 02:03 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

Adding more speakers doesn't double the quality, but it does improve the quality.

What is the Bose tower anyway but a bunch of tiny speakers, so the premise is that a bunch of tiny speakers improve quality and are superior to two pa speakers.

Anyway, I thought that the Bose Compact is overrated. I'm sure two of them would sound fantastic, but then, for my purposes, you're talking about serious money and serious setup time. For those who have the $$ and time, it might be a good choice.

Also, I think that a speaker like the FBT, that in critical tests was rated the very best 10" speaker made, paired with a Logitech subwoofer would probably sound just as good as two Bose compacts and one Bose subwoofer. Do the people who use two compacts pair it with two subwoofers?

Beakybird

#269899 - 08/23/09 04:24 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

And, after setting up a pair of L1s, with a system placed 4-feet on each side of the keyboard, the only person that really benefited from stereo was ME! It only took a few seconds of walking throughout the huge venue to determine that the only perceptible change was in overall volume--the stereo effect was lost just 10 feet in front of the stage. AND, the audience could have cared less whether I was playing in stereo or mono--they were there to have a party and dance the night away, which is what they did.
Gary

Gary, I wish I could sum up things the way you do.

(Remind me to buy you a drink if I ever make it over to the good 'ole USA)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269900 - 08/23/09 04:34 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hellboy,

Sounds like a winner to me. Green Banana Margaretta, stirred--not shaken. And, if I ever make it Down Under, the drinks are on me. Haven't been there since 1960, when I was a 20-year-old kid setting up a satellite tracking station in Woomera, SA. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then--the tracking site was in the middle of nowhere and I lived in a Hostel for about two months until the job was complete. I met a lot of wonderful people there, including a beautiful, young lady I almost married. WOW! How time flies.

Thanks again for the offer,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#269901 - 08/23/09 08:12 PM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Most of us have stereos in our houses with the speakers no further apart than that (4ft away from center - 8ft total)... Often they are closer than that.

I guess we can all go and sell one of the speakers, if we can't hear any difference beyond ten feet.

Things like this are easy to test. Make two CD tracks from a CD rip. Leave one stereo, and make the other mono, and panned to one side. Play them both back to back, and get over ten feet from your stereo. Notice a difference?

#269902 - 08/24/09 12:31 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
hellboy44 Offline

Oh hell yes, things have changed completely.

We have indoor plumbing now.

(Still waiting for Electricity....... )

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269903 - 08/24/09 02:00 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, I'm not looking for the perfect stereo sound at the back of the room, but I WOULD like a nice spacious sound (kind of what you would hear if you were listening to a REAL band) for those on the dancefloor...

And that is what my PA achieves. I have certainly been out front listening to my sequences, playing (from direct recordings), and break CD's. And I can DEFINITELY hear it is stereo from considerably further back than 10 feet! Admittedly, I tend to place them further than 8 feet apart (usually play duo, anyway!), but most venues are capable of that even if you are playing solo.

#269904 - 08/24/09 05:13 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
In the brief few days that I've owned the Compact I have changed my mind regarding the Bose L1 line. They are definitely a new direction in technology and they definitely do produce some very satisfying sound out of those contraptions. And they are relatively expensive for what they do.

I've used many good PA systems and there is no doubt one can be completely satisfied with the output of a well EQ'd and setup system. I thought my recent small setup of CM-30's and an EV sub (if necessary) was quite good. it was only three pieces and a few cables. The Compact, though, is my new system of choice. Why would I pay $1000 to replace a perfectly good system? I think I can only explain it by saying that the sound is appealing, the weight factor is way in my favor and, hell, I guess I just plain ol' like it.

I feel that those who are happy with their present systems should probably stick with them, but should make every effort to listen to a Compact used in a similar circumstance to your own and then try one for a job or two. It's a very subjective decision and only you can justify the payout/payback equation. I happened to sacrifice a keyboard for my Compact and am happy I did.

#269905 - 08/24/09 06:03 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
hellboy44 Offline

BTW Gary, seeing as you mentioned your Background in the Land of Oz, you should definitely check out a movie called "The Dish".

It's a "Gentle" Comedy about the story of how the Parkes Observatory was used to relay the live television of man's first steps on the moon, during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969.

Not exactly the same "what and when" you were doing back in '60, but you would undoubtedly get a (little) kick out of watching it...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#269906 - 08/24/09 08:42 AM Re: Bose compact vs. FBT Maxx 2As
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Hellboy--I'll check it out.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online