SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251655 - 12/21/08 09:27 PM OT ... Accidents will happen ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
So I'm taking some 'stuff' down from the rafters in the garage on Saturday ... I'm on the ladder and I've got a box in my hands ... thinking I am on the bottom rung, I go to step down to the floor ... only problem is that I WASN'T on the bottom rung but the one up from that ... so I step down ... and keep going down until I am laying on the floor of the garage ... I collect my thoughts and it seems all body parts are functioning so I stand up ... things seem fine until I go to raise my right arm ... apparently I stuck my arm out to break my fall and I must have injured my rotator cuff based where the pain is coming from and also the fact that I cannot raise my arm without some pretty bad pain ... So it will be off to the Ortho Doc on Monday to get checked out ...
The ONLY fortunate part is that my Christmas 'rush' is over, and I was not planning on playing this NYE ...

The whole thing was due only to my own carelessness in not WATCHING what I was doing .. so ..
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!! ...
t.

#251656 - 12/22/08 04:26 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
Dnj Offline

Tony,

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you get well soon & wish you a speedy recovery.
If all else fails a nice two week Caribbean cruise will surly benefit you ...

#251657 - 12/22/08 05:19 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, Sorry to hear about your mishap. Good luck with Dr. B, we know you're in good hands with him.

#251658 - 12/22/08 05:28 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I thought this was going to be a thread about Elvis Costello...

When I was a kid, my brother and I would (purposefully)summer-sault (sp?) down a carpeted flight of steps at our house...

We thought it was fun...

Now, it would no doubt kill us...

Good luck at the Doc, Tony...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#251659 - 12/22/08 06:18 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
t - sorry to hear of the mishap, especially at this time of year. I hope your injury is minor and can be repaired quickly and less painfully than the hurt. In any case, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year.

#251660 - 12/22/08 07:00 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

While it is possible you have torn a rotator cuff, it is more likely that you bruised some muscles. The best therapy is alternate cold packs, about 20 minutes every hour for the first day, then switch to moist, warm heat. Avoid aspirins because they could cause the injured tissue to bleed, which would make things worse. Most non-aspirin pain killers will be just fine.

The next part is easy. Keep the arm immobile, keep it warm, and relax for a week or two. A green banana Margaretta or two doesn't hurt either.

Good Luck at the sawbones,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#251661 - 12/22/08 08:58 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
And I thought I was the only one that did that Tony.

Yep, ladders can be dangerous and if you lose your orientation or sense of balance bad things can and do happen. Thank the Lord I've never broken any bones or torn any ligaments falling off a ladder but I've had my share of close calls and have also gotten caught in the "last step??" on the ladder type scenario.

Hopefully the Doc will have some encouraging news for you when you see him Tony.

All the best,
Mike

#251662 - 12/22/08 09:05 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear your bad news. I've been dealing with a rotator cuff problem for a few months now... frozen shoulder and a few low grade tears. Mine came from tennis and not acting my age (never have and never will). I have surgery scheduled for New Year's Eve. Asked the doc if he'd be sober, he asked 'What time you scheduled for?' I said '8am' He said 'probably'

Good luck and keep us posted.

Glenn

#251663 - 12/22/08 10:02 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, it is the rotator cuff and an MRI tomorrow will tell the extent, but the Doc doesn't think it's torn all the way through ... hopefully some painful therapy will help and I won't need surgery ...
I will see the Doc next week for results ...

Glenn ...surgery NYE ?!?!? WOW ... but I got a laugh from the doc's comment ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-22-2008).]

#251664 - 12/22/08 10:08 AM Re: OT ... Accidents will happen ...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sorry to hear that, Tony. I had a slew of questions to ask you about joint replacement surgery (since you've been through it), now I guess I can throw in some rotator cuff stuff as well .

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online