SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238206 - 07/15/08 03:55 PM KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
to the genesys Offline

Has any one used this board? What about as a controller keyboard.

Thinking of it to control my Gem xp module.

#238207 - 07/15/08 07:45 PM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man, that's a pretty expensive controller! Are you also buying it for use as a synth or comp tool? The 76 midi controller option is quite limited as well (with what's currently available). The most common one I often see is the CME controllers. I think you can get the CME-UF70 for $469. The Korg TR76 is going to run you a hefty $1,299
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#238208 - 07/15/08 11:09 PM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
to the genesys Offline

Yes I have considered if I wanted it for just its controller features it would not be a good buy.

But it would come in handy as a synth; giving me some Korg sounds. Also, the size and weight for transportation the TR 76 looks atracktive even over the CME.

#238209 - 07/16/08 04:17 AM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
squeak_D Offline

Then I say go for it The TR is a very nice synth. Plus you'll get those Korg strings! Using it as a controller you'll also get "aftertouch" with the TR.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#238210 - 07/16/08 06:02 AM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
to the genesys Offline

Does any one know about the built quality. And what about the key feel of the TR 76.

#238211 - 07/16/08 06:12 AM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
squeak_D Offline

The build quality is pretty good. Key action is always going to be subjective though. It'll hold up to road use.., keep in mind the TR is Korgs budget line, so the quality isn't going to be comparable to their top synths (BUT) The TR series does have a good build and the buttons feel fairly solid. The key action is typical non weighted synth action. You're not going to get any piano feel from the keys, but they're better than the PSR line. $1,299 is a great price for a budget 76 key workstation too. Plus with the Korg TR line you have the option of "adding sampling". Some other budget line workstations (cough, cough YAMAHA MO SERIES) do not offer any expansion at all. Some people are a little iffy about the 62 note poly on the TR's but keep in mind the TR's synth engine is 2 elements, where you'll find others such as Roland and Yamaha can run up to 4 elements (in turn making it easier to blow your poly in a mix)

#238212 - 07/16/08 12:45 PM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
I have a Tr 61. Itīs a good synth specially for synth sounds not as good for acoustic instruments. I like the strings, the bells, the drums some guitars and a few pianos. There are not many saxos nor flutes nor trumpets but plenty of synth sounds that are very good. Itīs a light and quite well built keyboard with channel aftertouch. If you are used to arrangers itīs very different and difficult to program things having to press many buttons to do it. I would NOT recommend it as a controller keyboard. If you need a controller buy one. You can set up a Program (single sound) or a Combi (up to 8 sounds)or a Sequence (up to 16 sounds)and play internal and or external sounds but you can't make changes easily on the fly in the way we play arrangers. For example if you play a Combi with internal and external sounds you can't turn on or off the external keyboard with one switch. Everything has to be pre programmed. Sorry for my English. Ask me if you have any questions.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#238213 - 07/16/08 01:57 PM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man, that's a pretty expensive controller! Are you also buying it for use as a synth or comp tool? The 76 midi controller option is quite limited as well (with what's currently available). The most common one I often see is the CME controllers. I think you can get the CME-UF70 for $469. The Korg TR76 is going to run you a hefty $1,299

Little bitty Squeaky One, does the CME-UF70 make it easy to call up control changes? Also, do you know how much it weighs?
Thanks,
DonM

#238214 - 07/17/08 03:11 AM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vagro:
I have a Tr 61. Itīs a good synth specially for synth sounds not as good for acoustic instruments. I like the strings, the bells, the drums some guitars and a few pianos. There are not many saxos nor flutes nor trumpets but plenty of synth sounds that are very good. Itīs a light and quite well built keyboard with channel aftertouch. If you are used to arrangers itīs very different and difficult to program things having to press many buttons to do it. I would NOT recommend it as a controller keyboard. If you need a controller buy one. You can set up a Program (single sound) or a Combi (up to 8 sounds)or a Sequence (up to 16 sounds)and play internal and or external sounds but you can't make changes easily on the fly in the way we play arrangers. For example if you play a Combi with internal and external sounds you can't turn on or off the external keyboard with one switch. Everything has to be pre programmed. Sorry for my English. Ask me if you have any questions.

Thanks I guess I will be using the TR76 for its 76 key capabilities. My Genesys xp as I have come to find out it does not have good midi compatibility. So I have concluded that the only way I will be controlling the xp is from onboard the xp and a six foot pedal. How easy would you think it would be to have the arranger playing on the xp and have a sound from the Korg playing in the right hand?
Also I was just wondering why is the TR 76 not heavy?

#238215 - 07/17/08 04:46 AM Re: KORG TR 76 AS CONTROLER KEYBOARD
squeak_D Offline

Don, It's supposed to be easy to set up CC's on this unit (but "supposed to be".., I use as a loose phrase) because what one person considers easy, the next may not. The key actions is semi-weighted too. What I thought stands out on the unit is a "wireless midi interface". The weight is at 11.8kg, and I think that translates to about 25-26 pounds. If you take a closer look at the CME's you'll see a familiar design on the end caps and and panel buttons. You'll see a very strong favor of the Yamaha Motif Classic If you look at an up close pic of them you'll see how much control you really get.., as there are quite a few sliders and knobs. Many with preset assignments too such as ADSR, Low/High pass filter, and so on. Many of these newer midi controllers are shipping with editor software, but I'm not sure about this model.

I got to speak with a guy who owns one a week or two ago, and was able to run up and down the keybed a bit and check out a few other things on it. I think he was using his to control a Kurzweil Module. The action felt pretty good to me. I asked him how hard it was to set it up for his module and he said he did it in a matter of minutes. The unit also has dedicated sequencer control buttons on the panel too. The unit looked rather nice as well.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-17-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online