SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#151527 - 09/12/07 08:47 AM G70 Live arranger recording #2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks to Scott Yee's request and song inspiration, here is my my live, one-pass, arranger recording of CRAZY LOVE.

This has been an excercise in learning how to use the G70 too. I now know a lot more about the G70's strenghts and shortcomings. Overall there are numerous more strengths. This song took several practices to understand better how to start and end songs. As you can tell, the ending is still not what I want but I think I'm close and when I play it live on the job it should end correctly.

The vocal drop-outs you hear toward the end are me trying to check or set up the next transition. I'm not as pleased with my harmonizer work on this take, but it's a one-take recording.

I understand tht I can and should use several tracks to properly record this song as I want. I would put the organ on a separate track and would probably use a little piano too. I was so busy while playing this song that I totally forgot to use the upper 2 and 3 voices as I planned. I also did not adjust the arranger volumes as I did on the first, so drums and bass are a little quieter. But I've spent too much time and frustration (see my previous threads) just getting thru this song.

My thanks again to Scott Yee whose rendition of this song inspired me to do an alternate version. Stylewise they are not that similar, but I think you can compare the two keyboard arrangers for sound quallity.

The nice thing I can do on the G70 that would take too much time to attempt on a Yammie is, I can change the instruments in the style with a touch of a button using the Cover feature. But the Yamaha was easier to maneuver around, for me (PSR2k).

To take a listen, click on the weblink and then go to Crazy Love. Feedback accepted, just no tomatoes...

http://cassp50.googlepages.com/links

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-12-2007).]

#151528 - 09/12/07 11:57 AM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi cassp

Usually I don't listen to the uploads of songs at forums, but now and then it happens.
I have to say I like this sound, and for one reason or another.. it made me think of
"The Band" when listen to your perfomance.
There is something in this G-70 sounds who give me the same "live" feeling as Ketron SD1
and SD5, soft and warm analog atmosphere, not cold/sharp and "CD'ish"

Thank's for sharing, nice performance.

Happy Playing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#151529 - 09/12/07 12:09 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
cassp Offline

Funny you should say that; I had the same feeling playing it. I recently recorded The Weight using an SMF, but this song has a similar chord structure and feel. Go and lissten to Scott Yee's version (http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016160.html); it's a little more pop oriented and doesn't sound as much like the Band. Maybe it's just my take on the song. Thanks for listening

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-12-2007).]

#151530 - 09/12/07 12:15 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
cassp

Gunner Jonny hears " the Band ",.......I hear " Van Morrison "

I really enjoyed listening to this,... The part that I do not understand is, I have been reading your messages about how frustrating you get playing the G70 and I had this impression that you were really fighting the keyboard, to make it work..

WoW !!! I cannot wait to hear your next tune after you master the G70, !!!! This is good stuff cassp !!

From your neighbor in Windsor Ont
Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#151531 - 09/12/07 12:54 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
cassp Offline

It is, after all, a Van Morrison song. There's so much more to Morrison's music than Brown Eyed Girl. I love the way he phrases his words and the funk in his beats. Yeah, I tried to emulate that.

One thing that I have trouble with on arrangers is finding a style to go with a song like Crazy Love. Maybe that's why I get frustrated, because these things aren't really made for songs like that - and I like doing songs like that. Last night at band practice we tried to put together the Allman Brothers' Midnight Rider - no luck finding even a compromise style. I guess some might argue that you should just use the drum beats; that might be easier, but then I could have bought a drum machine.

Thanks for the compliment. If you're into driving into Wyandotte on the 21st, we'll be playing downtown for Third Friday agaiin from 6-9 pm.

------------------
www.cassponline.com/

#151532 - 09/12/07 12:56 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
....Go and lissten to Scott Yee's version....

Jupp, I just did, and also took time to listen to some of the other
of Scott's songs while visit.

I'm always upright, no matter what, and so I wil be now.

Well, I find Scott's version not as much my style of music as your version.
Also (strictly my personal meaning) I find your way of singing much more
like it comes stright from your heart, emotional, while Scott sounds more
like "reading" the lyrics he sing without give expression to anyting more
than just "technically" sing it.

Happy Playing & Singing
GJ

Btw,
Myself I still sing like a bird, but as you all know:
Magpies and Crows are birds too!
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#151533 - 09/12/07 01:02 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Cass, thanks for giving us the opportunity to hear your rendition of Crazy Love. Enjoyed your take on the song. It's always interesting to hear different member's take on the same song, and in this case, on different keyboards, yet recorded in the same live auto-accomp mode performance manner. Good to hear that you are getting the hang of G70 live recording. Whether one sounds more like the band or not is another matter, and left up to individual opinion and taste.

Ok, for more ease in listener direct comparison & comment, here are direct links to both Cass & my rendition's of "Crazy Love":

Crazy Love , performed by Cass on Roland G70

Crazy Love , performed by Scott on Yamaha Tyros2

Scott

#151534 - 09/12/07 01:03 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
Dnj Offline

Gunnar at least your being honest....everyone has a right to their own opinion.

#151535 - 09/12/07 01:15 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
cassp Offline

Scott, thanks for the kind words. There was no intent at one-upsmanship or anything, and that's just the way I would sing if I hadn't heard your version. I am more of a bluesy singer than you, but I thought your version was very good. Maybe it says something about the styles we choose. As I said previously, a lot of these types of songs are not covered by arranger styles.

As for getting a hang of the G70, a lot of my frustration come from my own stupidity. The rest of the frustration comes from what these arrangers DON'T DO. What they do is amazing, if I would just stay within the parameters.

Hey, anyone else want to make a version of Crazy Love? Let's see how many different styles we can hear. BTW, I used another Live Band style, Night Ballad.

Lastly - Scott, how did you do those links? I want to be able to do that too.

------------------
www.cassponline.com/

#151536 - 09/12/07 01:18 PM Re: G70 Live arranger recording #2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
GJ...you didn't need to duck...wow..I am surprised..

I do agree with you..I know Scott gives 100 percent and gets an A for effort..

Scott you didn't ask, but I always thought you should work on your "selling the song"..

If you do..You can be in the same class as several other folks here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online