SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174239 - 06/21/07 08:56 AM Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I know off topic, but there are quite a few drummers here too. Have you seen the Roland V-Drum Lite electronic kit? Pretty interesting kit. However, take a close look at the position of the sound module itself..... Now ask youself this.., does this position increase or decrease the life expectancy of that module? If you ask me, they couldn't have put that module in a worse place. I "predict" many "unintended" hits to be taken by the module due to its location.
http://rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=890&ParentId=60
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#174240 - 06/21/07 09:01 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Dnj Offline

Squeak Im sure its been tested many times by many Pro Drummers in pre design. Thats where I would want it for sure....dead center.

#174241 - 06/21/07 09:17 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
squeak_D Offline

I've talked to a few drummers who share the the same opinion about the position of that module, and would much rather see it to the left. Actually this kit was brought to my attention via email by a fellow drummer--who also pointed out the placement of the module. I think they should have added another extension arm under (and between) the hi-hat, and snare brackets.

Look at it like this. This kit is supposed to be a "Lite" version meaning the price will be "Lite" as well. This opens the market of V-Drums to budding drummers. How many budding drummers who are still working on their skills do you think will be whacking the hell out of that module

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-21-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#174242 - 06/21/07 09:31 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Dnj Offline

Squeak dont jump the gun without even trying it out in a live situation...its also possible the module can be removed and be put on a extended clamp or maybe a lite side stand.....its not a big deal.....price is irrelevant if it makes you happy

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#174243 - 06/21/07 09:41 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You think THAT'S dumb...? How about this one...
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=537&ParentId=61

Anyone know why this wasn't designed upside down? (Other than Roland can increase repeat sales by making it easier to hit the controls this way around?)

#174244 - 06/21/07 11:42 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Anyone know why this wasn't designed upside down? (Other than Roland can increase repeat sales by making it easier to hit the controls this way around?)

I think you're all underestimating the accuracy of a drummer Your remarks are exactly the same as if someone would say "Look at that keyboard! Those keys are way too close to eachother! Why isn't there a gap between each key? This way you're bound to hit a wrong one!"

Let me tell you that a skilled drummer (and I think I am one, with more than 30 years experience and training knows exactly where the heads are. He can play his drums with his eyes closed (and sometimes you actually have to do so if the lighting guys decide it's fun to turn on ONLY the strobes) and still play exactly where he wants to. Center-head, rimshots, edge-hits, you name it, he'll play it. I am sure that once I get used to the position of each head, I would never ever hit the module.

#174245 - 06/21/07 11:46 AM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
squeak_D Offline

Well in the end it's just personal preference really. I just wonder how Roland decided on placing the module dead center, when for some time the norm has been to the left of the player, and (not) in the "zone of play".

Again keep in mind that all of us drummers were a "budding drummer" at one time. The V-Drums are VERY popular, however also VERY expensive too. Clearly the purpose of this kit is to make the V-Drums affordable and obviously the price will be attractive to someone just polishing off their skills. So with an individual like this (who will also be part of the targeted market), it greatly increases the chances of missed hits (which happens to noobs often), and that miss shot can easily hit the module which is again obviously in the line of fire. I fear for this module itself in the hands of less experienced players

Here's a good example. I've played many electronic drum sets, and with the module to the left. You can still keep the flow going (while in a comfortable playing position), and make changes on the fly with the module using your left hand. Having it dead center would require you to do a more uncomfortable arm crossover to make changes to that module.

Again example: When making changes to the left you can still easily keep the beat going (with your right hand) as you alternate between the hi-hat and snare, while using your left hand to make quick on the fly changes to the module. This is something you also see done a lot with left placement modules.

If you have the module dead center and you wanted to make changes using your (left hand) you would have to do a quick pull back, and cross over your right arm to access the module. It's either do that or alter your on fly changes by doing a quick switch (using your left hand) to alternate between the hi-hat and snare to free up the right hand to make changes.., which can be odd to someone who's a right hand dominate drummer.

Hope that makes sense.

#174246 - 06/21/07 12:06 PM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
squeak_D Offline

I personally can't wait to find this unit in a store as I'm a very big fan of the V-Drums I just know that (me personally) if I owned this kit I would rig up an attachment that would place the module to the left lowered and between the hi-hat and snare pads.

For me..., left placement modules are what I'm used to when making changes on an elctronic drum kit. I dont want to do a pull back, and an arm crossover to adjust the module with my left hand.

#174247 - 06/21/07 12:07 PM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

man thats some piece of gear ....controls on top or not....great demos to watch a pro play!! But I guess some one will say hes faking it....or its like using smf instead of styles eh?

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-21-2007).]

#174248 - 06/21/07 08:44 PM Re: Drummers: Roland's new V Drum Kit...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I dunno... all those keys next to each other. And you know what? After 40 years of playing, I still occasionally hit the wrong one!!

Of course, when I make a slip up (they happen!), nothing breaks. You make ONE slip up with either of these tools with a 2B in your hands, you'll be lucky if it doesn't break.

It's kind of like saying that, as long as you are a professional race car driver, you ought to never have an accident. But of course, 99.9999% of all the cars being driven are not in the hands of race car drivers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online