SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#216459 - 02/11/07 06:28 AM Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
ricardo_portugues Offline

Recently, I bought a Yamaha Tyros2 and I’m very happy with it. The only problem is that I don’t like the sound resulting from playing GM midifiles. The instruments work very well standalone but not together. For me, the main problem is the volume relation between instruments, some very high and others very low. Ok, now you can say, “You should use some computer based sequencer and modify volumes and other stuff until it become fine”, but this is a lot of work. I’ve tried to change GM reset to XG reset and the result was the same because GM sounds are integrated into XG. I’ve tried also to change to GM2 reset and the volumes become better but the effects are exaggerated.
I’m considering buying a sound module to play the midifiles and use the Tyros2 for the instrumental parts and style based music where the Tyros2 is unbeatable. Based on what I saw in this forum Roland and Ketron are the best for playing midifiles. So, I think Ketron SD2 will be good for what I’m looking for because it is cheaper than Roland Fantom XR.
What I really want to ask you is:
1 – Do you have any other solution for resolving this annoying problem of Tyros2, avoiding to buy the sound module?
2 – If you already have this set (Tyros2 and SD2) please tell me if they work well together?
3 – Is the Fantom XR best than the SD2 to play GM midifiles?
4 – If you have a SD2 can you please give me your email and I will send you some midifiles and you give me the MP3 results?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Ricardo Português

#216460 - 02/11/07 07:55 AM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have an SD5 which is the same sound engine of the SD2, send me those files and I will send you the mp3

#216461 - 02/11/07 10:16 AM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
To me, GM Midifiles always sounded best and most balanced on Roland equipment, especially the Sound Canvass & derivatives (including the G1000), even the JV1010. It's as though they were volume-balanced for those instruments....maybe they were???

This is not to say that Roland instruments sound better; just that GM files seem to sound better when played on/by them. JMO.

chas

#216462 - 02/11/07 11:29 AM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
There is a song playback option which automatically revoices Midi files to use the "optimal" voice; this might help.

In general I process GM files using the "MidiPlayer" program created and supported by Michael Bedesem, which does a good job of remixing / revoicing GM files to be a better match to the Yamaha sound set. See here for a link to MidiPlayer and other useful stuff: http://www.svpworld.com/psr_software.htm

#216463 - 02/11/07 12:53 PM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ricardo,
how were you planning on playing the actual midifile
ie via a pc with sd2 as soundsource

or via the Tyros midied to sd2? in which case you'd have to make sure all the midi settings will work.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#216464 - 02/11/07 01:18 PM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I use the Ketron MidJay to play my midi files. It does a nice job and it only weighs 7 1/2 lbs.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#216465 - 02/12/07 02:49 PM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
ricardo_portugues Offline

Frankieve, I will email you some midifiles. Thanks.

Chas, I use commercial midifiles created by a portuguese company and I think they use a Roland JV1080. All of my midifiles doesn't have volume problems in my old Technics KN6000. I hope my midifiles sound ok in SD2 because it is much cheaper than Fantom XR that is currently the only solution I have from Roland. Thanks.

MacAllcock, I will try it as soon as possible and I hope it can be a solution for my problem. Thanks.

Rikki, I'm planning to use SD2 as a slave of Tyros2. Tyros2 MIDI OUT A to SD MIDI IN. Song parts 1 to 16 mapped to MIDI channels A01 to A16 with song local control off in Tyros2. Thanks.

Joe, I think Ketron MidJay is very useful for people who want to use it as a standalone midifile player or eventually connected with a MIDI keyboard to play some instrumental parts. In my case, I want to continue to use Tyros2 as master keyboard and midifile player and use SD2 only as sound module. You like MidJay and I think I will like the SD2, because the sound set should be seemed. Thanks.

#216466 - 02/12/07 03:22 PM Re: Tyros2, SD2 and midifiles
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Probably the best GS implementation (because, lest we forget, they invented it!) comes from later Roland products, up to the SC880Pro, and derivatives.

The original SC55 Sound Canvas was the first truly successful all-in-one box, and created an explosion of GM SMFs, pretty much all written (and voiced) on this. It was the de facto standard, and it still astounds me that anyone (including even Roland, now!) can bring out a GM/GS product that cannot play SMFs as well as this ancient module!

Roland continued to improve on the SC55, until the SC880Pro and derivatives, including arrangers up to the G1000 (SC88Pro engine), but the rot started to set in when they changed to the XV-series, which had some mix problems when given raw GS files, and nowadays the Fantom-based products (including G70/E80) just don't sound right without tweaking.

Fortunately, Roland seem to tacitly acknowledge this by including the best SMF tweaking tools on the planet in their arrangers, so adjusting your SMF make the best use of the new sounds is relatively painless. But the further we get away from the old GS format, the harder it becomes to realize (and remember) the potential of a true, cross-platform MIDI exchange format, the initial promise of GM/GS....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online