Recently, I bought a Yamaha Tyros2 and I’m very happy with it. The only problem is that I don’t like the sound resulting from playing GM midifiles. The instruments work very well standalone but not together. For me, the main problem is the volume relation between instruments, some very high and others very low. Ok, now you can say, “You should use some computer based sequencer and modify volumes and other stuff until it become fine”, but this is a lot of work. I’ve tried to change GM reset to XG reset and the result was the same because GM sounds are integrated into XG. I’ve tried also to change to GM2 reset and the volumes become better but the effects are exaggerated.
I’m considering buying a sound module to play the midifiles and use the Tyros2 for the instrumental parts and style based music where the Tyros2 is unbeatable. Based on what I saw in this forum Roland and Ketron are the best for playing midifiles. So, I think Ketron SD2 will be good for what I’m looking for because it is cheaper than Roland Fantom XR.
What I really want to ask you is:
1 – Do you have any other solution for resolving this annoying problem of Tyros2, avoiding to buy the sound module?
2 – If you already have this set (Tyros2 and SD2) please tell me if they work well together?
3 – Is the Fantom XR best than the SD2 to play GM midifiles?
4 – If you have a SD2 can you please give me your email and I will send you some midifiles and you give me the MP3 results?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Ricardo Português