SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153667 - 01/20/06 08:45 PM Just Back From NAMM
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
First, I spent some time today with AJ and my friends at Ketron. I loved the new SD5. It's buttons look more modern than the SD1 and the 16 little switches off to the left side over the lower keys is a great addition. These buttons can be set to be functions, GM track on and offs, individual drum on and offs and even quarter tone tuning buttons. I also loved that the 0 -9 buttons below the display which are also used to select style catagories can be used a Registration bank buttons. After selecting a bank, the 16 buttons I just talked about become registration numbers 1 -16. So, you can have 10 banks each with 16 choices, or if you wish, you can still have registrations called up the old Ketron way by just choosing 01 - 198.
The Riff mode, although only able to be auditioned on about 5 of the styles currently, really worked well. After playing approx. 2 measures of chord changes, you can stop playing the left hand, hit the riff button and start playing melody on the keys and the chords continue to play and as you play more notes, the riff mode kicks in and adds extra parts to the style and if you play less notes, it gets more active in it's style play. If you hit keys harder, things change as well.
I only hope Ketron listens to me and brings the price of this product out for quite a bit less than the estimated price was told to me today. They quoted a list price of around $2995.00 and I suggested it needs to be in the Yamaha PSR3000 price range. The keys feel great, they are semi weighted just like the SD1+, but still, the price needs to be adjusted in my opinion. We will have to wait and see.
The new styles are very good and the sounds are SD1+ quality. The 128 polyphony is a great improvement. This was the only new product.
AJ also showed me his EXP board which will now be available through the Ketron Distributor. I will be buying one of the 2 SD!+EXP keyboards from the show, so if any of my So. California customers want to come in next week and check it out, I'll be ready for you!

Korg had no new products in the arranger keyboards but they did however have a new software update for the PA1X models, version 2.53. Korg also had two new synth style keyboards called the X50 and the micro X. Both feature usb, triton sounds and software bundled with them to enable editing on a computer and for using the new sounds as a software synth with full control. The X50 has 61 full size keys and the Micro has 25 full size keys. Both are velocity sensitive.
Roland showed the new low end EXR model which will retail for $699.00. I was hoping for $299, but oh well!

Yamaha really did a great job of demoing the Tyros2. They had 2 of their design team hear from Japan giving demos and receiving ohs and ahs from those attending.

I especially like the new Yamaha DGX505 re-do which now has 88 hammer weighted keys and will be available in July. This model is called the YPG625.

Behringer came out with a digital piano in a wooden cabinet with stand and 3 pedals, 2 track sequencer, pull down cover and a MAP price of $499.00. The action is decent but not great, but for the price.....wow!

Casio only had a new 88 key portable piano with wooden stand, roll down cover, ZPI sound source, 3 pedals and the speakers built into the lower cross panel of the stand and can be mounted on the front or the back side for about $699.00. The action felt great! The model is called the PX-700.

The Roland G70 was being displayed and demo'd but I was there at the wrong time to get a demo. I'll be back on Sunday to ask questions.

I told Yamaha how much a 76 key model of Tyros 2 was needed and they agreed with me but made no promises. I also found out for those interested that the samples you load in or play into the Tyros can be made into user drum kits but not in the standard way but rather as a custom voice with different samples on different keys and then this custom voice can be used in a style but not on track 10 but rather on track 9 which is usually the percussion track.

I am no longer selling Generalmusic products at my store and didn't go to their booth this year.

With my back still recovering from back surgery last month, that's all I could see in one day. I'll report more after Sunday.

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 01-24-2006).]
(Retired 2021)

#153668 - 01/20/06 08:56 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
MrEd Offline

Hi George.
Your detective work is very much appreciated.

Speaking of Behringer, do you remember back to the last NAMM, where the new Ultratone keyboard amps were announced ...

The amps never became available (or on backorders or something liked that)

Do you know why they did not get into the hands of the public?

#153669 - 01/20/06 09:10 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
George, thanks for the SD5 review, sounds like an exciting board. That riff mode is interesting, although I'm not sure if I really 'get it'. The best I can see is for something like "Evil Ways"... do a few measures of Gm and C7 and then jam for as long as you want? Any hint on the status of Ketron's flagship replacement, a KB with Midjay components? Thanks again, George; now go rest your back.

Glenn

#153670 - 01/20/06 09:42 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hello George Kaye,
It seems that your first impression of the 88 hammer-weight replacement of the DGX is positive. Since you are a trusted person on the SZ arranger forum I think it's time I started saving my pennies for a new keyboard.
Of course, there are a lot of questions I'd like to ask regarding voices, styles, storage media and presence of a line output (I really hate my DGX for not having a line out).
I hope this matter will have been clear by the time this keyboard is available on the market.
I wish you fast recovery form the back surgery.

George V.

PP Please let me ask a quetion re Yamaha keyboards in general. Why there is so much time (6 mo) between the announcement of a keyboard and its market release?

#153671 - 01/20/06 10:22 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi George,

Thanks for your quick review!

I would like to know if Yamaha displayed their next generation Clavinova series.
Their new CVP 4xx series is due this year that is supposed to carry the Super
Articulated voices of the Tyros 2.

#153672 - 01/21/06 05:54 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Well I hope Yamaha release the T3 or whatever it will be called with 76 notes in around 3 years. If a 76 note T2 comes out later this year myself and loads of others will be totally p'd off with them. There's no way I would part exchange a T2 just to get the extra keys, even though I prefer 76 notes it would be too much to lose for us all. They should start supporting the people who have purchased a T2 already by bringing out new styles and features on the operating system updates and leave the 76 keyboard for next time.

#153673 - 01/21/06 07:04 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good report George. Stay well, and I'm looking forward to your next post.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#153674 - 01/21/06 07:12 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
. They should start supporting the people who have purchased a T2 already by bringing out new styles and features on the operating system updates and leave the 76 keyboard for next time.

76 keys is very important to many players it should of been addressed and offered long ago by Yamaha along with a better keybed too, how long will people tolerate their rquests until they stray to other companies?.....as far as more styles?
I think they have offered so many as it is to cover every application, heck I have 20,000 syles here alone, do I use most of them ? NO!! Do many of them stink? YES...plus you can convert thousands of other manufactures too..... plus you can edit exsisting ones & create your own NEW ones in style creator also, a great feature many people DONT EVEN USE!.....this whole style thing is so overblown. Too many people worry about different styles vs learning how to play better, that should take front row over all else in performing music.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-21-2006).]

#153675 - 01/21/06 09:38 AM Re: Just Back From NAMM
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Thanks George, your report and input is appreciated as always.

Graham

#153676 - 01/21/06 12:58 PM Re: Just Back From NAMM
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
As always George you have given an informative and detailed review of new NAMM products. Thank you so much for letting Yamaha know that there is a big percentage of Arranger players who would prefer a 76 key Tyros2. Keeping it in the forefront of their minds may finally persuade them to make a 76 key Tyros2/3. I can certainly wait three more years if necessary for a Tyros3 or whatever it will be called by then. A 76 key Tyros2 in six months would be nicer yet, but since Yamaha isn't giving any promises I am hesitant to hope for something as soon as six to nine months.

Btw, the people who bought a Tyros2 knew full well that it had only 61 keys when there was not even an inkling or hint of a 76 key Tyros2/3 on the horizon. And for that matter there is STILL no inkling or hint of a 76 Tyros2/3 by Yamaha's very own words at NAMM. To say that Yamaha is doing a disservice if they release a 76 key Tyros2 in a few months to those who bought the current 61 key Tyros2 is absurd. If you wanted 76 keys you should have bought 76 keys to begin with is how I look at it. I for one am holding out. I have a Tyros but I refuse to get a 61 key Tyros2/3. Others have said the same thing but relented. Is that Yamaha's fault?

Also if you would prefer a 76 key Tyros2/3 I'm sure you could sell your current Tyros2 on eBay or wherever for a minimal loss and then turn around and buy the forementioned 76 key Tyros2/3 if Yamaha decides to come out with one in six to nine months.

If indeed Yamaha decides to come out with a 76 key Tyros2/3/etc., at all.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-21-2006).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online