SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219713 - 10/03/04 10:23 AM OT - How to cook fresh tuna
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sorry, this has nothing to do with music but some of you guys on here, seems I've deduced you are good cooks by your comments.

Got a big slab of fresh tuna. How can I cook it? At Sam's Club they were giving samples and the lady was just using a hotplate skillet and I think she just put some seasoning on it and sprayed Pam in the skillet. I don't have any Pam but I might have some real butter. And oils and margarine.

#219714 - 10/03/04 10:39 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
The best marinade, imho, is a combination of 2 tsps olive oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tsps soy sauce, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp ground ginger. Leave it to soak in for at least 30 mins.

Grill on the barbecue! 5-6 minutes a side on medium high heat, for a big slab.

Play your arranger while grilling and you're back on topic.

------------------
Graham

[This message has been edited by PraiseTheLord (edited 10-03-2004).]

#219715 - 10/03/04 10:46 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Heck, I don't have any honey.

#219716 - 10/03/04 11:24 AM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
How about brown sugar then?

------------------
Graham

#219717 - 10/03/04 12:24 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
Dnj Offline

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,fresh_tuna,FF.html

#219718 - 10/03/04 01:16 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Here are a couple recipes from my cookbook that I hope to publish in January.

CHARBROILED BLUEFIN TUNA

Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats the taste of fresh, charbroiled, bluefin tuna. One taste is all it takes to become addicted to this incredible delicacy. However, the secret to its incredible taste is the word fresh. Don't buy vacuum-packed, frozen tuna from the grocery store and expect it to taste like fresh tuna–it just doesn't work that way. Fresh tuna, one that was caught within the past 48 hours and immediately buried in ice, tastes fantastic. Tuna that has been frozen, previously frozen or has been in the frig for more than a couple days, is unfit to eat.

INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs. fresh, bluefin tuna fillets (cut into inch-thick steaks)
1 cup Yoshida Gourmet Sauce or ginger teriyaki glaze
Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
salt
lemon pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Place fresh tuna steaks in a plastic container and cover with gourmet sauce. Cover the container and refrigerate, allowing at least 30 to 60 minutes for marinating. Now comes the tricky part. Unless your gas grill was specifically designed for grilling fish, you'll have to find a way to prevent the fillets from falling through the grate. I found a simple solution to this age-old problem. An ordinary cooking cooling rack sprayed with a liberal coating of pam works just fine. Merely place it over the standard gas grill grate and wallah, you can now grill fish and vegetables without worry.
After marinating the steaks, place the tuna on a preheated grill over medium heat, sprinkle on a little salt, lemon pepper and just a pinch of Old Bay seasoning. Broil for approximately five minutes per side or until the meat easily flakes. Serve hot with twice-baked potatoes, garden salad and your favorite wine. Superb!

CHARBROILED YELLOWFIN TUNA

During mid summer, anglers from New York to North Carolina catch large numbers of hefty yellowfin tuna. Here's a time-tested recipe that will transform those tuna steaks into a gourmets delight.

INGREDIENTS:

6 one-inch thick tuna steaks (fresh–not frozen)
1 small bottle ginger teriyaki glaze
salt
pepper
garlic powder

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse the fillets thoroughly in cold tap water, pat dry with paper towels, place in a shallow bowl and marinate in teriyaki glaze for approximately 20 minutes. While the steaks are marinating, fire up the gas grill, spray the grate with non-stick cooking oil that's specially formulated for gas grills. Decrease the flame to medium/low, carefully place the steaks on the grill and baste with marinate. Sprinkle on a little salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste, turn the steaks, baste and season again, and cook for approximately five minutes or until the meat flakes easily with a fork. Serve hot with baked potato and early peas covered with mushroom sauce,

GRILLED TUNA KEBABS

If you're lucky enough to land a big bluefin or yellowfin tuna, there good news and bad news. The good news is you likely have sufficient tuna steaks to feed the Bosnian Army, or at least most everyone in your neighborhood. The bad news is that fresh tuna doesn't lend itself well to freezing for extended periods. My best suggestion is to call the neighbors, friends and relatives and invite them over for a tuna cook-out.

INGREDIENTS:
tuna steaks
Vidalia onions
zucchini squash
red bell peppers
pineapple chunks
cherry tomatoes
Yoshida Gourmet Sauce
Montreal Steak Seasoning

DIRECTIONS:
Cut tuna steaks into cubes, place them in a large bowl and marinate with gourmet sauce for 15 to 30 minutes. Slice and cube zucchini squash and all other ingredients except tomatoes into one-inch squares. Impale ingredients on metal skewers, or bamboo skewers that have been soaked in warm water to prevent burning. Grill over low heat, basting frequently with gourmet sauce until tuna is lightly browned. Serve hot over a steaming bed of rice.

Enjoy Yall!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#219719 - 10/03/04 02:59 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Ok,
So now how's about that there kick-a-poo joy juice recipe? Hmmm??
I could really use a pick-me-up the way things have been going lately.

#219720 - 10/03/04 04:06 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
The best marinade, imho, is a combination of 2 tsps olive oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tsps soy sauce, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp ground ginger. Leave it to soak in for at least 30 mins.

Grill on the barbecue! 5-6 minutes a side on medium high heat, for a big slab.

Play your arranger while grilling and you're back on topic.

Wow, a late night, not enough sleep, whatever. I meant SALMON. I hope your recipe works cuz I already had it marinating when I remembered I posted it as TUNA.

#219721 - 10/03/04 04:36 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Now you tell me! Ok, here's one for salmon:

GRILLED TERIYAKI SALMON

There's nothing that compares to the taste of grilled, fresh fish, particularly during the dead of winter. Unfortunately, obtaining fish that truly fresh this time of year is next to impossible. Short of driving to Key West and trying your luck at catching grouper or snapper, talk with your grocer about farm-raised Chilean salmon. They're shipped fresh daily and the quality ranges from excellent to outstanding. The fillets are skinless and completely free of bones, something that's rare these days.

INGREDIENTS:

1 two to three-pound salmon fillet
1 cup lite soy sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tblsp. lemon juice
1 cup teriyaki sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Rinse fillet thoroughly in cold tap water, pat dry with paper towel, cut into serving size pieces, then place in plastic container. Mix all above ingredients and pour over fillets, making sure that all surfaces are covered. Allow fillets to marinate for approximately 15 minutes. Then fire up the gas grill, and slowly grill the over a low flame, basting every few minutes with marinate. Grill until the meat is firm and flakes easily with a fork. The remaining marinate can be heated in a small saucepan and thickened with cornstarch dissolved in cold water. Serve fillets hot and garnish with a sprig of fresh parsely.

And, for Kickapoo Joy Juice:

GARY'S KICKAPOO JOY JUICE
(STOVETOP KAHLUA)

This is a page from the book of Lil' Abner, the comic strip that those of us who are over age 60 loved for many years. If you'll recall, the concoction that was being brewed by one of the characters in a backwoods still was called "Kickapoo Joy Juice," after which this particular recipe was named.

4 cups water
5 cups granulated sugar
4 cups vodka
˝-cup instant coffee (dry measure)
1 Tsp. vanilla extract

Using a large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add one cup of sugar, dissolve, then stir in instant coffee until it is completely dissolved. Add the remaining sugar and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes, allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, add the vanilla and vodka, stir and you've just created the best tasting kahlua ever. It tastes great on the rocks or when used to make a white Russian. Enjoy!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#219722 - 10/03/04 05:13 PM Re: OT - How to cook fresh tuna
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Wow, Thanks for sharing Gary.
It actually sounds very good.
Isn't there some kind of bean (kahlua bean?) used in making the authentic kind?

And btw, I am only 52 and remember reading Al Capp's Lil' Abner till probably into my early teens or thereabouts.
One need not be over 60 to remember that strip.

------------------
The old Newb

[This message has been edited by OldNewb (edited 10-03-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online