SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215621 - 02/05/04 09:34 AM Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Dnj Offline

I was at a job last week.....when I got there another small trio was unloading to play in another room besides the one I was performing at in the Banquet Hall.
When the keybord player takes his KB out of the car its wrapped in a White BEDSHEET and carried it inside that way under his arm!! His Speakers looked like they were thrown off the Empire State Building all scratched Yikes!!!
My point is everytng I own is covered and I take care of it so it looks like new two years later, but when I see sloppy transpotation, banged up gear, guys dragging stuff along the floor because they wont buy a Cart or Covers or whatever it just annoys me...whats your opinion?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-05-2004).]

#215622 - 02/05/04 09:52 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I don't play out (yet), but I do have to move my keyboard from location to location at times. I have kept the orignal box and packing. Whenever I move my keyboard, I pack it exactly as it was orignally boxed. The box is wearing out, but the keyboard is in perfect condition. Well, except for a small piece of styrofoam on the inside display. No damage, but very annoying.
Starkeeper

#215623 - 02/05/04 10:00 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Dnj Offline

Starkeper get yourslf a nice cordura zippered cover...I use a nice thick "LEVYS" soft case I got from George Kaye ....its perfect, super thick, has great big utility pockets on each end, lightweight, and a pocket inside also, Black!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-05-2004).]

#215624 - 02/05/04 10:08 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
The Accordionist Offline

I'm with you Donny.

The first thing I get when I get a new instrument is the hard case for it. I bought the hard case for my Ketron XD3, had a cover made by LeCover for my MotionSound KP-200S, and bought a $400 case for my new accordion. I cart everything and CAN'T STAND the look of banged-up, scratched-up, duct-taped gear. To me it looks unprofessional and obviously causes the gear to perform poorly over time.

On a side note, I'm the same way about vehicles and most other things I own. I hate when I get in a car and it has tons of fast food bags in the back, old french fries on the floor, newspapers everywhere, CDs on the floor and their cases thrown on the back seat. To me it represents a certain style of person - usually one I have difficulty getting along with.

Tommy

#215625 - 02/05/04 10:11 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would NEVER think of transporting my gear, especially the kb without a cover ... My power amp is an old Peavey (I can't remember the model #) and when I bought it they didn't make a cover for it ... I cut the top flaps off the original shipping box, cut a slit in the bottom for the handle of the head and then got the widest black electrical tape I could find and covered the box with the tape ... Now all I do is drop the box over the head...
With the price of good gear these days, I can't imagine 'pros' especially, not taking care of it ...
Dnj .... was their performance as sloppy as the gear? ...
Starkeeper ... If you're going to keep using the kb box, you might want to think about covering it with duct tape or something similar to strengthen it, keep rain and snow off, etc. .... otherwise, once you start making some $$$ playing out , get a proper case...
t.

#215626 - 02/05/04 10:29 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Donny and Tony,
Ok. will do.
Starkeeper

#215627 - 02/05/04 10:31 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Dnj .... was their performance as sloppy as the gear? ...

I'll put it this way Tony at least they kept the beat when they WER'NT taking a break!

#215628 - 02/05/04 11:05 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DNJ. Yes I fully agree. I don't play out, but when I was in sales on the road I always kept my speaker samples in mint condition.
It just says so much about your professional approach when you and your gear is kept smart.

Graham UK

#215629 - 02/05/04 11:05 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I'll put it this way Tony at least they kept the beat when they WER'NT taking a break!

Man, now THAT p*sses me off (I know, better p'd off than p'd on) ... in this age of DJs and karaoke, when some of us are busting our butt to get people to hire "live music" you get guys who spend more time off the stage than on ... My sister-in-law went to an office Christmas Party at a catering hall ... the weather was really bad that night and a number of people did not show, or showed up late ... The next day when I asked my s-i-l about the party, music, etc. she said that four out of the five piece group showed up ... they were supposed to start playing at 8PM, they didn't start until 10PM, although they were set up much earlier than that ... they played a 30 minute set and took a break that had lasted 45 minutes when she left to go home ... She did say that what they played during the 1/2 hour was good, just not enough of it ....
t.

#215630 - 02/05/04 11:18 AM Re: Please Cover your Equipment!!! Argggg!
Dnj Offline

Man that bothers me also.....what could be better then playing music? I have been known to stay up on stage 3 hours straight...more often I do 40-50 min sets at dances....one hour shows are just that, a FULL ONE Hour, and dinner dances, Weddings, etc.. you have to go with the flow of he affair regarding dinner courses served, speeches, award presentations, etc you might play a half hour then break while they eat that course, then go back on after dinner two hrs straight... it depends,
each job is different during a four hr gig.....but to take exorberant breaks while people just sit there waiting to dance or listen is Robbery!!!!
Arggggg.... I hate that!!!! ....

But then again it gives me more work ..because the are not hired again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online