SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#118774 - 07/22/03 12:01 PM . for all you computer gurus...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... I will sometimes download a file from a midi site, which is said to be a midi file but the file extension is html ... can this be converted to .mid ? .. just changing the extension does not allow my kn6 to read it...
thnx,
t.

#118775 - 07/22/03 01:10 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey USA,
Right click on the file you want to down load and then click "save target as" and in the file name you should see yada.mid ir yada.midi. If you see yada.html your downloading a web page and not the file... Give it a shot..
DJ

#118776 - 07/22/03 01:14 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
... I will sometimes download a file from a midi site, which is said to be a midi file but the file extension is html ... can this be converted to .mid ?

Hey Tony,

I've seen this happen and although I don't have any concrete answers, we can speculate a bit.

I think most of the time it's simply bad coding...The person responsible for creating the web page and writing the proper anchor tags doesn't always check to see if the links are correct and working. And, I'm not exactly sure if some web servers out there will substitute a small .html file for a link that doesn't work.

Here's another example....I've been searching for a copy of Alabama's Angels Among Us on Vanbasco's for the past few weeks. If you were to go this page and give this query a try, you would end up with many hits, the first four being relevant. But you could not right-click on any one of those four links and do a SaveAs without getting a .html file. You would have to click on the link to the actual web page and from there find the appropriate midi file that you could then right-click and save. And yet there are times when the link to the actual midi file does show up on the Vanbasco Search page and therefore right-clickin' would work.

Lots and lots of stuff to learn about metadata and how search engines track down, sort, and use it.

I've never had any luck renaming a .html file to a .mid and getting it to work. Bottom line (IMHO), you never got the intended .mid file in the first place.

Hope this helps.

mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 07-22-2003).]

#118777 - 07/22/03 06:36 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
tony mads usa Offline

If I read this right, when I right click and "Save file as" I should also see the web page the midi came from and try to access that page to find the midi file? ...
t.

#118778 - 07/22/03 08:31 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
No Tony, you don't. Tony you left click the 'link' TO the midi file. When you get to the page that HAS the midi file "then" you right click the midi file and choose "save as" or "Save Target As". A window should pop up so you can save the midi file, etc., in the directory folder or sub folder of your choosing. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mike

#118779 - 07/23/03 06:14 AM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
tony mads usa Offline

... thanks all .... I've downloaded midis from lots of sites, and the only ones I've had a problem getting are these guys with the .html extension....
t.

#118780 - 07/23/03 01:12 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
Nick Locke Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
I've seen this too. It's when the person creating the web page has tried to stop you saving. In essence, he/she is redirecting the request through a cgi program (look for "cgi" in the url).

Looks like an HTML page with an embedded object (Quicktime or whatever) to play the midi.

Get the HTML page up, do a view source. Dig through the source to find the call to the object. That should have the real address of the midi file "hidden" within it. Cut and paste that address into the browser and all should be well.

[This message has been edited by Nick Locke (edited 07-23-2003).]

#118781 - 07/23/03 07:21 PM Re: . for all you computer gurus...
Vquestor Offline

I believe I have heard of a small program
that does this for you. I will try to find
out.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online