Just prior to the anniversary of my 50th year in the business, I have decided to dramatically alter my approach to performing.

I am leaving my 4 night a week job outside on a restaurant patio after 13 seasons.

* The years in the business have resulted in major damage to the tendons in both arms and in bones and joints in both arms and hands.
Surgery could eliminate some pain, but could result in losing speed and dexterity.I've been told to stop playing upright bass and to cut back on my schedule.

* Heat, rain and equipment damage are major issues.

* This job requires the use of two complete sound systems (six cabinets), guitar, keyboard, lights, stands, etc., which have to be carried in and out and set-up every night.

* The pay is $150.00...much less than my corporate and state government jobs pay.

On week-ends, I have one hour to break down one job and set up at another across town.

I'm basically going to cut my schedule in half and do the easy inside stuff (2-3 nights a week). I've already arranged for 2 nights through the next 6 months. It will be the first time in nearly 50 years that I don't have a multiple night per week "home".

I'll really miss it, but can't risk further physical problems, which would adversely the writing, photography, music scores and film
production I do in the daytime.

This is a sad transition for me, but a necessary one.

Getting old is a BITCH!

Russ