SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79485 - 01/30/05 12:09 PM Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Been seeing quite a few guitarist on the forum. Just wondering how many, and if anyone has switched from guitar to keyboards because of thumb problems?

Also why is it so hard to play lefthand on the keyboard after 60 years of playing the fretboard with the left hand??

Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 01-30-2005).]

#79486 - 01/30/05 01:03 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

The transition from a guitar to a keyboard was a piece of cake. I still have a couple great guitars, but I'm gonna' sell them soon. One is an Ibanez 6 string acoustic that I've had for 20 years, the other is a Yamaha 12 sting acoustic that I've had for about the same length of time. Both are in new condition. Any bidders?

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#79487 - 01/30/05 01:07 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hundred dollahs ....

#79488 - 01/30/05 02:02 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Topic: "Hey, how many in the Bar, play guitar?

Lots of us...

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 01-31-2005).]

#79489 - 01/30/05 02:27 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Good looking Rick!

Uncle dave (see your 100 and raise ya 50 cents) but only if he pays shipping to calif.pose

#79490 - 01/30/05 04:57 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, that'll cover the case and one set of strings, but the guitar is extra!

Gary

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#79491 - 01/30/05 05:31 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to, but I never was that great. Also played drums and bass. My first instrument was trumpet. I WAS pretty good at that.
Now I play all of them, but on the keyboard.
I still have one guitar around here somewhere.
I had some great ones in the past including, 59 Fender Strat and Gibson L7.
DonM

#79492 - 01/30/05 06:25 PM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
I play Guitar and mandolin. Have two of each. I started on Hammonds about five years ago. Then went to arranger keyboards cause I out lived anyone that would play the music I like. I have two sons. One plays drums and a DJX II board the other plays bass and guitar. But I just can’t wrap around their type of music. My keyboard plays what I want when I want. Still have’n fun.
Smokey

#79493 - 01/31/05 12:38 AM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I learnt piano when I was young then switched to guitar in the late 60s when I was a teenager. Just because I loved the instrument.

Then in the 70s the Fender Rhodes pianos and analog synths began to arouse my interest. In the 80s when I was recording backing tracks at home to record my guitar playing over MIDI arrived and was the perfect way to use computers to program drum and instrumental tracks. My first MIDI computer was a Commodore 64 running "Digital Studio" with a Sequential Circuits MIDI interface. Then I became addicted to electronic keyboards. In the 90s the internet became public so in 1994 I got sick of always having to search for software and files so I put my bookmarks online and called it Synth Zone.

Now I still play second guitar and keyboard in a rock/blues band around LA and Ventura County in Southern California called Red Rhythm . I switch between guitar and keyboard mid song so both feel natural to me though I feel most at home playing a guitar, guess it's the wood and natural resonance of the strings that I love.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-04-2005).]

#79494 - 01/31/05 04:29 AM Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Guitar is my main instrument. Been playing acoustic guitar since I was 13. Still amazed at how much I don't know. Thousands of players blow me away. Just last night, watching this folk singer dude and thinking man, what the heck is he playing? Chords. Jazzy chords. Played with several altered tunings, retuning often. Fingerpicking was just sensational. Had wonderful fingernails, which I canNOT grow. Played a '52 Martin and man, did it sound good.

I took piano lessons when age 10, made it a year. The town hoodlum called me a sissy and I quit the next day. Practice was boring anyway. Dad bought me a guitar.

Bought a keyboard couple of years ago and I just play by ear but ooh, I love it. I really need to get better. I can play an arranger and look like I know what I'm doing but to just sit down and tear up a piano, not there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online