Hey! How many in the bar play guitar?

Posted by: loungelyzard

Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 12:09 PM

Been seeing quite a few guitarist on the forum. Just wondering how many, and if anyone has switched from guitar to keyboards because of thumb problems?

Also why is it so hard to play lefthand on the keyboard after 60 years of playing the fretboard with the left hand??

Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 01-30-2005).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 01:03 PM

Pose,

The transition from a guitar to a keyboard was a piece of cake. I still have a couple great guitars, but I'm gonna' sell them soon. One is an Ibanez 6 string acoustic that I've had for 20 years, the other is a Yamaha 12 sting acoustic that I've had for about the same length of time. Both are in new condition. Any bidders?

Gary
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 01:07 PM

Hundred dollahs ....
Posted by: shboom

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 02:02 PM

Topic: "Hey, how many in the Bar, play guitar?

Lots of us...

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 01-31-2005).]

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 02:27 PM

Good looking Rick!

Uncle dave (see your 100 and raise ya 50 cents) but only if he pays shipping to calif.pose
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 04:57 PM

Dave, that'll cover the case and one set of strings, but the guitar is extra!

Gary

Gary
Posted by: DonM

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 05:31 PM

I used to, but I never was that great. Also played drums and bass. My first instrument was trumpet. I WAS pretty good at that.
Now I play all of them, but on the keyboard.
I still have one guitar around here somewhere.
I had some great ones in the past including, 59 Fender Strat and Gibson L7.
DonM
Posted by: Smokey

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/30/05 06:25 PM

I play Guitar and mandolin. Have two of each. I started on Hammonds about five years ago. Then went to arranger keyboards cause I out lived anyone that would play the music I like. I have two sons. One plays drums and a DJX II board the other plays bass and guitar. But I just can’t wrap around their type of music. My keyboard plays what I want when I want. Still have’n fun.
Smokey
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 12:38 AM

I learnt piano when I was young then switched to guitar in the late 60s when I was a teenager. Just because I loved the instrument.

Then in the 70s the Fender Rhodes pianos and analog synths began to arouse my interest. In the 80s when I was recording backing tracks at home to record my guitar playing over MIDI arrived and was the perfect way to use computers to program drum and instrumental tracks. My first MIDI computer was a Commodore 64 running "Digital Studio" with a Sequential Circuits MIDI interface. Then I became addicted to electronic keyboards. In the 90s the internet became public so in 1994 I got sick of always having to search for software and files so I put my bookmarks online and called it Synth Zone.

Now I still play second guitar and keyboard in a rock/blues band around LA and Ventura County in Southern California called Red Rhythm . I switch between guitar and keyboard mid song so both feel natural to me though I feel most at home playing a guitar, guess it's the wood and natural resonance of the strings that I love.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-04-2005).]
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 04:29 AM

Guitar is my main instrument. Been playing acoustic guitar since I was 13. Still amazed at how much I don't know. Thousands of players blow me away. Just last night, watching this folk singer dude and thinking man, what the heck is he playing? Chords. Jazzy chords. Played with several altered tunings, retuning often. Fingerpicking was just sensational. Had wonderful fingernails, which I canNOT grow. Played a '52 Martin and man, did it sound good.

I took piano lessons when age 10, made it a year. The town hoodlum called me a sissy and I quit the next day. Practice was boring anyway. Dad bought me a guitar.

Bought a keyboard couple of years ago and I just play by ear but ooh, I love it. I really need to get better. I can play an arranger and look like I know what I'm doing but to just sit down and tear up a piano, not there.

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
The town hoodlum called me a sissy and I quit the next day.

There ain't nothin' SISSY about mastering a craft like music. 100 bucks says the town hoodlem couln't do it!
Posted by: The Pro

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 06:40 AM

I started playing with a toy Emenee chord organ very young, around the age of 5, and began taking lessons at 9. I was very driven and practiced all the time (maybe because I was so bad at sports) and went through private teachers quickly. By the age of 14 I was playing professionally, both solo gigs (with an arranger organ - I even won my junior high school talent show with one!) and in local teen bands - one of which was very popular. My parents decided that since I was doing so well they would start my younger brother on guitar. He took lessons for three months before coming home one day and handing the guitar to my mother and saying "I quit". I picked up his guitar and have played ever since, mostly acoustic. I'm fairly proficient and have played guitar in many bands along with my keyboards, which have always been my primary instrument. Today I have an Ovation acoustic/electric and mostly play guitar for my own recordings and amusement.

BTW: noone else in my family is even remotely musical - something we've all puzzled over. It was lucky that my father and his mother decided to buy me that little chord organ when I was young.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 07:40 AM

On my single jobs, I keep a nylon string Goden on the bandstand, and play 15-20 solos a night.

Play 4-5 jazz jobs a month with a trio-play an L-5 or 335.

Play in a variety band several times a month. Play a Parker Fly.

Buy lots of guitars that appreciate in value and depreciate every single dollar over time
for the tax deduction. Problem is, I'll have to pay capital gains if i can ever bring myself to liquidate.

Like my keyboards, but LOVE my stringed instruments. Started playing guitar in 1956. Took up keyboard in 1972 when my long-time B-3 player retired and I started doing a single.

russ
Posted by: shboom

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 08:32 AM

Nigel....
put a headband on that photo and you could pass for Mark Knopfler.
Nice pic.

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
There ain't nothin' SISSY about mastering a craft like music. 100 bucks says the town hoodlem couln't do it!

You should see him. He's 53 and looks 73. We had a multi-year reunion recently and I asked someone "Who is that old man over there?" They said (him). I was shocked. Everybody was shocked. Alcoholic.

Addendum: After he called me a sissy and I quit, a few years later, I was seriously into sports. Football especially. Band guy wanted me to join the band. Nope. I'm the QUARTERBACK, I'm not going to play in the band.

The band dude recruited a graduated quarterback that also played in the band. He approached me and told me "Ever notice how many girls there are in the band? You've never been on a band trip have you? Because YOU'RE NOT IN THE BAND, dummy. We have a great band, you would love it. (They did.)

I joined, started on trumpet, then he put me on snare drum. I had a ball! That was a great time. We had a great band, for little bitty town, we kicked some butt.

Awhile back, I heard "In The Mood" on Lawrence Welk Show that my mom was listening to. I commented that we used to play that number. And I mean, well!

I need to look up that band director, I think he's still alive.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 10:27 AM

Did you go to school at Plain Dealing?
DonM

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 01:28 PM

Nigel:
Your a man of many talents!
Put on a auzzie outback hat,you could be crocodile dundie (Paul Hogan)

I have a bunch of grandkids over on the SW corner.

Liked your funky music mp3. Must have done this tune a thousand times in 80's bars in the bay area.

I've got 6 guitars all fenders except one (1978 ovation that's maybe been played a hour total). Only play one, a fender mustang I bought in 1967 at a yard sale for 35 bucks it looked like it had been around the horn 3 times. refinished and set it up, installed two gibson humbuckers and a new set of tuners the parts we're over 3 hundred bucks at that time, but I would'nt sell or trade this guitar for anything I've ever seen and played. Never found another guitar player that could play it though, some can't handle the ernie super slinkies (9's) the rest can't keep it from distorting, about 3/32nd of a inch at the twelve fret. Takes a gentle touch but it's nice. The old mustangs are a sleeper in my opinion, some don't like the 1/2 in shorter scale, I love it (alows me to stretch out on some chords) most claim they don't stay in tune, They don't know how to set them up, (But from the factory, Fender did'nt either) (when set up right they have the best tremelo out there, and they stay in tune.) I'm a dyed in the wool Barney kessel and Tony Matola kind of guy, but have played it all, flemenco to chicken pick'en.Been Playing guitar for 63 Years, started in 1942. Now My thumbs are gone can only play maybe 20 percent of what I use to and then for only a few minutes and the left hand starts to swell up. Stopped playing music for several years, missed it so bad, so took up the keyboard about 3 years ago, really miss the guitar, but now I can play by myself, I still play guitar a little but most all the musicians around here are country, so I usually play the mandolin or bass ( still hard to find bass player's that show up) I've got a studio full of old Fender gear, they call me the Fender man around here, thought about selling some stuff, but You can't get the sound I like without the old gear. I sold half of my favorite amp about 10 years ago, I used to use 2 duo showman reverbs with vibrato heads setting on 2 of the big cabinets with 2 15's and a horn in each. I had installed 2 8" fender speakers in each head. These rigs sat on each side of the stage when we did large jobs. I controlled each from a pedal board I built up ( had 8 footswitches along the front) and three of the first built Morleys pedals.

Glad to hear from fellow members who still or use to pick. some setting on a fortune in gear.

Gary Last offer, trade you a mandolin case (no lid) A accordian MIssing a few keys, and bellows might have to be re/duct-taped. and a trombone that got ran over (a little)

Cheers....Pose

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 02:17 PM

DonM, yowza.
Posted by: jamman

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 01/31/05 09:13 PM

started with gtr(1986),switch to keys in 87(classical piano training for 3 yrs) ,though I play/played both and KB(which pays me better) (and gtr in hardrock/blues band)I have to say that nothing better than bending strings with your fingers and made that sound in realtime .as we all know in a band situation gtrist (actually bassist)usually got the best chicks since they can move on stage.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-31-2005).]

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 02/02/05 09:34 PM

Ipulled out my Taylor tonight, just for some variety and the room LOVED it. I did the last set on guitar, and played about 1/2 of it with no accompaniment. Beatles, Eagles, Cat Stevens, JT ... that soft rock stuff. Then I fired up the MP3 backings that I made up on kb with backing vocals and had a ball with that for a while. I'm glad I did it .... it was a nice change of pace from the sterile, predictable sound of the kbs. There's just so much MORE energy from an acoustic guitar. My psr3k can't produce anywhere NEAR the dynamic range that I can get with just 2 hands and a pick on real strings.
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 02/03/05 12:31 PM

Was this topic reposted? I replied to this topic and don't see my reply now. I'm just asking because I've been having lag problems on the Zone lately. I wonder if my computer is finally about to die on me. The wife and I just had to reformat the damn thing just about a month ago.

Squeak
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 02/03/05 12:57 PM

I doubt it squeak
Look at the topice below.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010078.html
Posted by: royandreno

Re: Hey! How many in the bar play guitar? - 02/03/05 03:05 PM

Ok, back from duty in England, and yes, I play the guitar, and I always bring a strat with me on trips along with the
Line 6 Guitarpod!
With reference to Nigel and his headband, I'm auditioning for a Dire Straits tribute band next weekend, should be fun I hope....

------------------
Roy-Andrč