SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62350 - 01/19/06 01:29 PM SD CARD QUESTION
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have a 256 SD card 2/3 filled with all kinds of files. I also have all of my favorites loaded with shortcuts all over the card.

I don't want to rearrange the files with KN7000 Explorer as it will destroy my Favorites placement.

If I backup a copy of my card in two different files, it would seem I could rearrange one copy the way I want it, and restore it to an empty card.

Am I missing something ?

#62351 - 01/19/06 02:21 PM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Bernie - Yes you can do what you describe.

In SD Explorer BACKUP your SD card choosing a name that will identify to you that this is the original SD CARD. You will now keep the SD card as it is with your favourites in place.

Put this SD card on one side you will not need to touch this again for the next step.

YOUR NEW SD CARD
Create a new blank folder (NAMING THIS WHATEVER YOU WISH, e.g. COPY SD CARD?

Mouse Cursor on the BACKUP copy you have just made,

Right Click with mouse,

Choice of options menu appears the top item of which is "Restore SD Card"

Browse for folder options appear.
Cursor down to the new folder you have just made and then Click on OK and your restored SD card will restore to the new folder.

You can now re-arrange your COPIED SD card into any order you wish.

On completion of this - BACKUP this version and then you can RESTORE it TO THE NEW SD CARD.

You have two versions now - original and the newly rearranged one.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-19-2006).]

#62352 - 01/19/06 03:16 PM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you, Joan, for the detailed instructions. With this, I believe I can do it without messing up my card.

Bernie

#62353 - 01/19/06 05:25 PM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I bought a second 256 SD card ? different make. The first was Panasonic, the new one is SimpleTech.

I have the Trial program for KN7000.

1-I used drag and pate in my window explorer.
2-I also tried using the trial program as it was described.

On my computer I can see the files ?if I open those files I can see the Technics files. In the keyboard shows no files ? message is this file is empty.
????????????????????
I am missing something and I haven?t the slightest clue. I remember seeing this topic a while back -- ????

Thanks for any help, John C.

#62354 - 01/19/06 05:26 PM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Please do not read this it is a dupe of above.

I bought a second 256 SD card ? different make. The first was Panasonic, the new one is SimpleT

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-19-2006).]

#62355 - 01/20/06 02:48 AM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Joan Offline

Hi John - not sure what you mean BUT

You say you have Windows XP so the SDExplorer FULL version does work if it is set up correctly.

I cannot comment on the TRIAL version as I only ever used the earlier BETA versions and it is well over a year since I used those. I know it has been changed since then anyway.

Question: When your card is in the KN7 can you tell from the MEMORY USAGE whether the files are there but just cannot be seen?

On the KN7 with the card in the keyboard - If you save something to the SD CARD when it is in the KN7 does this make any differance? Can you see anything other than this last save?

Other than these suggestions John unless you can send me an example folder or I get a better Crystal ball I cannot help any further.

Can anyone else?

MESSAGE TO BERNIE - Hi there, when I gave the instructions to you about backing up card etc., I was explaining how I would personally would do this.

I choose to move/delete/copy in Windows XP because it is much quicker than using the actual SD card. HOWEVER some users are not so computer literate and would probably prefer to do this directly on the SD card when it is in the READER. This is perfectly acceptable but it is much slower.

If you have two card readers you can have an SD card in each one and COPY/MOVE across that way - this is very slow.

Whichever method you use the golden rule and I cannot emphasise this enough is BEFORE you do any major changes BACKUP FIRST and you could do periodic backups when you get so far so if it goes pear-shaped you have not lost all - Joan

#62356 - 01/20/06 06:21 AM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bernie & Bruno,
Check to make sure that you copied the file 'KN7000MN.INF" when you made backups of your original card. This file resides in the KN7000 folder on the card and it contains the index of what is on the card. Without it your files will not show in the keyboard.
Another hint - the reason that you cannot use Windows explorer to add Technic files to the card is because this index file is not updated. Unless you are really an expert with a hex editer program, the only way this index file gets updated is by either the keyboard when you load and save, or by the special SD Explorer program.
Walt

#62357 - 01/20/06 10:18 AM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Walt and Joan for the additional info, but it brings a question as to the best way to do it. If I move/delete in Windows, and if the .inf file is present, will the aforesaid index be updated ? I guess you would rate me as an intermediate computer user.

#62358 - 01/20/06 11:17 AM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Joan Offline

Hi Bernie - The .Inf file only has any significance if you are taking a backup the old method NOT USING THE SD EXPLORER METHOD.

You only see that when you are looking at the file from PRIVATE, TECHNICS, KN7000. TFLD001, TFLDOO", method

Reading these instructions look far more difficult than they really are.

You must still have the 8MB Card which came with the keyboard. Try following my method with some data on that card and see how you go on. You will still have your existing SD card intact. At worst you will not be able to do what you want - you could be pleasantly surprised and find that it reads harder than it really is.

Using SDExplorer regularly, like any other program gets easier to understand.

To be honest, unless someone can explain this easier then I don't know what else I can tell you. Good Luck - Have a go.......Joan

#62359 - 01/20/06 01:13 PM Re: SD CARD QUESTION
Bernie9 Offline

No, Joan, your instructions were very clear. I just wondered about the .inf file. Good idea about the old 8 MB

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online