SD CARD QUESTION

Posted by: Bernie9

SD CARD QUESTION - 01/19/06 01:29 PM

I have a 256 SD card 2/3 filled with all kinds of files. I also have all of my favorites loaded with shortcuts all over the card.

I don't want to rearrange the files with KN7000 Explorer as it will destroy my Favorites placement.

If I backup a copy of my card in two different files, it would seem I could rearrange one copy the way I want it, and restore it to an empty card.

Am I missing something ?
Posted by: Joan

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/19/06 02:21 PM

Bernie - Yes you can do what you describe.

In SD Explorer BACKUP your SD card choosing a name that will identify to you that this is the original SD CARD. You will now keep the SD card as it is with your favourites in place.

Put this SD card on one side you will not need to touch this again for the next step.

YOUR NEW SD CARD
Create a new blank folder (NAMING THIS WHATEVER YOU WISH, e.g. COPY SD CARD?

Mouse Cursor on the BACKUP copy you have just made,

Right Click with mouse,

Choice of options menu appears the top item of which is "Restore SD Card"

Browse for folder options appear.
Cursor down to the new folder you have just made and then Click on OK and your restored SD card will restore to the new folder.

You can now re-arrange your COPIED SD card into any order you wish.

On completion of this - BACKUP this version and then you can RESTORE it TO THE NEW SD CARD.

You have two versions now - original and the newly rearranged one.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-19-2006).]

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/19/06 03:16 PM

Thank you, Joan, for the detailed instructions. With this, I believe I can do it without messing up my card.

Bernie
Posted by: bruno123

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/19/06 05:25 PM

I bought a second 256 SD card ? different make. The first was Panasonic, the new one is SimpleTech.

I have the Trial program for KN7000.

1-I used drag and pate in my window explorer.
2-I also tried using the trial program as it was described.

On my computer I can see the files ?if I open those files I can see the Technics files. In the keyboard shows no files ? message is this file is empty.
????????????????????
I am missing something and I haven?t the slightest clue. I remember seeing this topic a while back -- ????

Thanks for any help, John C.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/19/06 05:26 PM

Please do not read this it is a dupe of above.

I bought a second 256 SD card ? different make. The first was Panasonic, the new one is SimpleT

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-19-2006).]

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 02:48 AM

Hi John - not sure what you mean BUT

You say you have Windows XP so the SDExplorer FULL version does work if it is set up correctly.

I cannot comment on the TRIAL version as I only ever used the earlier BETA versions and it is well over a year since I used those. I know it has been changed since then anyway.

Question: When your card is in the KN7 can you tell from the MEMORY USAGE whether the files are there but just cannot be seen?

On the KN7 with the card in the keyboard - If you save something to the SD CARD when it is in the KN7 does this make any differance? Can you see anything other than this last save?

Other than these suggestions John unless you can send me an example folder or I get a better Crystal ball I cannot help any further.

Can anyone else?

MESSAGE TO BERNIE - Hi there, when I gave the instructions to you about backing up card etc., I was explaining how I would personally would do this.

I choose to move/delete/copy in Windows XP because it is much quicker than using the actual SD card. HOWEVER some users are not so computer literate and would probably prefer to do this directly on the SD card when it is in the READER. This is perfectly acceptable but it is much slower.

If you have two card readers you can have an SD card in each one and COPY/MOVE across that way - this is very slow.

Whichever method you use the golden rule and I cannot emphasise this enough is BEFORE you do any major changes BACKUP FIRST and you could do periodic backups when you get so far so if it goes pear-shaped you have not lost all - Joan
Posted by: Walt Meyer

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 06:21 AM

Bernie & Bruno,
Check to make sure that you copied the file 'KN7000MN.INF" when you made backups of your original card. This file resides in the KN7000 folder on the card and it contains the index of what is on the card. Without it your files will not show in the keyboard.
Another hint - the reason that you cannot use Windows explorer to add Technic files to the card is because this index file is not updated. Unless you are really an expert with a hex editer program, the only way this index file gets updated is by either the keyboard when you load and save, or by the special SD Explorer program.
Walt

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 10:18 AM

Thanks Walt and Joan for the additional info, but it brings a question as to the best way to do it. If I move/delete in Windows, and if the .inf file is present, will the aforesaid index be updated ? I guess you would rate me as an intermediate computer user.

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 11:17 AM

Hi Bernie - The .Inf file only has any significance if you are taking a backup the old method NOT USING THE SD EXPLORER METHOD.

You only see that when you are looking at the file from PRIVATE, TECHNICS, KN7000. TFLD001, TFLDOO", method

Reading these instructions look far more difficult than they really are.

You must still have the 8MB Card which came with the keyboard. Try following my method with some data on that card and see how you go on. You will still have your existing SD card intact. At worst you will not be able to do what you want - you could be pleasantly surprised and find that it reads harder than it really is.

Using SDExplorer regularly, like any other program gets easier to understand.

To be honest, unless someone can explain this easier then I don't know what else I can tell you. Good Luck - Have a go.......Joan

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 01:13 PM

No, Joan, your instructions were very clear. I just wondered about the .inf file. Good idea about the old 8 MB

Bernie

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/20/06 11:23 PM

Hi there Audrey - your link for Bills site is incorrect.

Bills correct site is:
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/kntechtips

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-20-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-20-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-21-2006).]
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 01:03 AM

HELLO EVERYONE,

IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE WEB ADDRESS FOR BILL NORRIE'S SITE POSTED BY ME LAST NIGHT IS INCORRECT AND I HASTEN TO APOLOGISE TO EVERYONE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED AND PARTICULARLY TO BILL FOR THIS ERROR.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED, THE CORRECT WEB ADDRESS IS AS SHOWN IN JOAN BANFIELD'S POSTING.

ONCE AGAIN MY SINCERE APOLOGIES.

AUD (U.K.)

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 03:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joan:
[B]Hi there Audrey - your link for Bills site has a vital "a" missing in Wanadoo. See correct one below. Easily done - Joan

Bills correct site is:
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/kntechtips

Joan

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 05:39 AM

Thank you all for your help. As it turned out, Joan was right; it is far easier than the instructions appeared.

I backed up my card and used two card readers. I put one song in my blank card so it would read, and dragged and dropped from my full card. When you drag, it copies, and did not disturb the original card at all, although you can move by using ctrl.

It is like everything else. Once you start working with it, it is a pieace of cake.
Posted by: kn7

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 05:55 AM

Aud and Joan -

My, my, girls!!! I'm glad that Bill's site is straightened out.

Are you trying to tell us something, Aud?

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 06:54 AM

Hi Bernie - Great to hear you have done it!

You have moved from card to card - very good thing - very slow if you have a lot of data to move/copy but I can see that you would feel more in control using this method.

When you have a spare hour or two - try the folders on desktop method - Piece of cake!!!

Still confidence is the key and there will be no stopping you now.......Joan

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/21/06 10:38 AM

Hi Joan
Just used the decktop method, and of course, it is much faster. When you are working from a copy and the SD card is sitting safely in the KN7000, one can get pretty bold.

Thanks again

Bernie
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/22/06 12:26 PM

Hi KN7

I know my mistake caused a lot of people concern for which I am sincerely sorry, but when I read your comment I couldn't help laughing. I have seen many 'moons' so "chance would be a fine thing?" ha! ha!

Thanks for your posting though, I was very worried at the time and it helped lift my spirits.

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)
Posted by: kn7

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/22/06 03:06 PM

Hi Aud, (laughing, as I write)

Thanks for your reply. When that site came up, I was more concerned than shocked that I was zapped with a virus and thought your computer caused it with your link. I do find it amazing that it is sooooooooooo close to Willum's site name. I noticed that he has remained silent on this issue.
Posted by: Bill Norrie

Re: SD CARD QUESTION - 01/22/06 04:42 PM

I may have been 'silent' here, but I phoned Audrey after Joan phoned me and informed me of the error and its effect
Unfortunately, I have no control over the URL of my website - apart from the 'willumspages' part. The rest is allocated by my ISP
They allow me 150MB of webspace for free, so I'm happy to put up with the rather 'clunky' long name.

------------------
Willum