SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16824 - 12/21/01 03:10 PM troubling midi\audio problem
deeluxe Offline

Loc: toronto
hi,

I have a very strange problem that has stumped just about everyone I know. It's time to try here on the internet.

I have a small setup here, which includes:
AKAI s3000XL sampler
Korg Prophecy synth
yamaha dS2416 mixer
p450 384RAM running VST 5r6.

Everything is plugged into a midiman midisport 2x2, and into inputs on the mixer

Here is my problem. Through hours and hours of troubleshooting, I have determined that whenever my synth sends or recieves midi data, there is a quiet, but audible hissing sound that appears in the audio. I can see the hissing noise on the synths mixer channel coming in at about -66dB. If I unplug all the midi cables from the prophecy the noise disappears. The offending noise seems to be independant of the syths volume control. Even when I turn the volume all the way down on the synth itself, the noise retains the same level. If I mute the track on the mixer, the noise disappears. It is especially annoying when trying to record midi to audio, whenever I move the pitch controller, or a controller knob the hiss presents itself. I can even hear a hiss when the midi clock ticks!

My sampler, which is also on the midi network, does not experience the same noise problem.

Is my synth screwed? Is there something I am missing here?

I hope someone might have experienced this before, and will know how to fix it.

Dee

Never send a man to do a machines job.

------------------
Never send a man to do a machines job.

#16825 - 01/02/02 04:13 AM Re: troubling midi\audio problem
Tayo Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Dee,
Don't know if this will help, but since you have such a small setup (like me) and you're not using a multitracker for recording, perhaps you could do without the midiman midi interface. I have a setup similar to yours, perhaps less advanced:
p400MHz 128MB
Behringer 1604A mixer
Korg X5D
Akai S900
Logic Audio Platinum and SB Live!
and my system runs in perfect audio sync without the aid of a midi interface?

------------------
Regards

#16826 - 01/05/02 07:44 PM Re: troubling midi\audio problem
WS Offline

perhaps it is your mixer channels. Since you didn't list what you tried already (and I don't blame you)...plug the Korg in different mixer channels. Make sure your cables are seperated, especially from power supplies...try different midi cables and audio cables...The first thing I would do is unplug everything and then only plug the korg into the mixer. If there is noise than change channels and cables. If there is no noise I would plug the midi direct to PC if possible...check for noise. Plug a headphone into Korg...is there noise? Plug the midi into midibox...if noise change cables/ or ins/outs. This might isolate the problem. Try to have everything seperated from each other. If there is no noise then bring everything together and see if it appears...

[This message has been edited by WS (edited 01-05-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online