hi,

I have a very strange problem that has stumped just about everyone I know. It's time to try here on the internet.

I have a small setup here, which includes:
AKAI s3000XL sampler
Korg Prophecy synth
yamaha dS2416 mixer
p450 384RAM running VST 5r6.

Everything is plugged into a midiman midisport 2x2, and into inputs on the mixer

Here is my problem. Through hours and hours of troubleshooting, I have determined that whenever my synth sends or recieves midi data, there is a quiet, but audible hissing sound that appears in the audio. I can see the hissing noise on the synths mixer channel coming in at about -66dB. If I unplug all the midi cables from the prophecy the noise disappears. The offending noise seems to be independant of the syths volume control. Even when I turn the volume all the way down on the synth itself, the noise retains the same level. If I mute the track on the mixer, the noise disappears. It is especially annoying when trying to record midi to audio, whenever I move the pitch controller, or a controller knob the hiss presents itself. I can even hear a hiss when the midi clock ticks!

My sampler, which is also on the midi network, does not experience the same noise problem.

Is my synth screwed? Is there something I am missing here?

I hope someone might have experienced this before, and will know how to fix it.

Dee

Never send a man to do a machines job.

------------------
Never send a man to do a machines job.