SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4123 - 05/11/06 05:17 PM Bought a second keyboard.
analogcontrolfreak Offline

First off, want to say hi, and second just bought a Korg Poly-61, for $170.00 from a drummer in New York. (third one I have owned) Also have a Korg KS-61 on back order from Sweetwater.

ED: You are right, it is better to own more then one keyboard.

Studio is slowly comming together, need to replace my single "X" stand, with one that will hold three. Also need to invest in a good mixer, used preferably. As well as a good software sequencer.

There are some other synths I would love to aquire. Espically a moog, not just a mini, any moog, well at least one that I could afford. Would love to own an Ion, Nord Lead, MS2000, TR-61 or X50, EPS-61+, the Korg Legacy Collection. List is endless.

I'm not sure, but I think I am starting to go gear crazy.

#4124 - 05/12/06 09:15 AM Re: Bought a second keyboard.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Awesome news Paul!
Glad you're working on building your own studio. It's a neverending process...

Since I last spoke to you I also added some synths to my studio. A second Waldorf MWXT and I've got Virus TI on order. I went for the TI desktop because I have quite a few keyboards already. Right now my favorite synth in the studio is MWXT though. It's a mad, mad instrument. I've rackmounted both of them in one 10-space rack case. Looks like one giant yellow synth with two displays and 88 knobs. I love it. Waldorf are back in business so I may even upgrade both XTs to 30 voices. ALthough right now 20 voices of outlandish sounds is enough. I'm glad to be back to using hardware synths.

IF you're looking for mixers and MIDI interfaces I've got a few suggestions. I've been using Mackie mixers for as long as I remember and I think you'll be quite happy with the Mackie 12/02. They don't cost a lot used.

For a MIDi interface you might want to check out any of the 6 IN/OUT models by ROland/Edirol and so on. I'm recommending a 6 port model because you never know how many synths you will add to your setup.

THe cool thing about all synths (except for some classic analog synths) is that they always get cheaper.

-ED-

#4125 - 05/12/06 01:45 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

Thanks ed. Aside from pre-ordering the KS-61 controller keyboard, I hadn't really thought about buying another synth, but when this gentleman offered me a Poly-61 for $170.00 I could not pass up the offer. Especially since I have a web site dedicated to the Poly-61.
http://paulspoly61-page.tripod.com

Yea, I had heard about Waldorf up and running again, over on the VSE BBS. They are nice synthesizers, but are a bit expensive for me. Having hardware synths, is really cool, becuse you have a physical object to work with, as opposed to useing a mouse. Your right, about a lot of classic analog synths, becoming more and more expnsive. I also noticed that, the origanl Clavia Nord Lead is fetching high prices as well, and it's only 12 years old.

That Mackie Mixer, is it a desktop or rack mount module? As I am limited for desk space. Thanks for the recomendation on the MIDI Interface.

#4126 - 05/12/06 03:20 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.
3351 Offline

A 12/02 is definitely a desktop. I don't think it can be rackmounted. It's a small mixer though. About the size of an average computer keyboard. Well not really. A few inches deeper but definitely not as wide. Won't take up much of your desktop space.

If you've ever seen a Novation Nova or a Virus C desktop modules it's about the same size.

-ED-

#4127 - 05/12/06 03:56 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

[img]dcp_003[/img]

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 05-12-2006).]

#4128 - 05/12/06 04:05 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

Here is a link to my web site with a photo of my current set up.
http://synth-freak2.00.tripod.com/id30.htm

#4129 - 06/07/06 02:30 AM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

Okay, it's now June 7, 2006, and still have the poly-61.It's not getting much use, nor is the Arp Omni, but then again, I'm not a performer. Of course it's dosen't make much sense, too own two performance synths. Of course, I'm not giveing them up either. I'll figure something out.

I bought the Omni, becuse it was cool looking, and cheap, and bought the poly-61, becuse there was not much on it, on the net. Plus it was inexpensive as well. I just wish KORG had made the Arpeggiator splitable on the Poly-61, but unfortunealty it's not. sigh!

I'm still waitng on my KS-61 controller keyboard, which KORG has now decided to release in July, when I thought, it was going to be released in May. I wish I knew the reason for the delay, but could find nothing on their websites. US or Japan.

#4130 - 07/31/06 02:51 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

Went to Guitar Center, and bought a two teir keyboard stand, and put the omni and Poly-61 on it. Still need to buy a decent mixer.

#4131 - 07/31/06 04:02 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.
3351 Offline

Good news. Where are you going to put your Korg though? Once it arrives that is.

BTW I'm still waiting on my Virus TI. Three months now. I'm considering getting something else instead. Get the TI later when it's more *available*.
Anyhow, hope to hear some more news man.

cheers,

-ED-

#4132 - 07/31/06 05:32 PM Re: Bought a second keyboard.

Well, there are some considerations,like maybe, getting a bigger computer desk. A computer workstation. Or, I could put it on top of the omni.

As far as the new Korg Keyboard, Korg still has not shipped yet. First, they were going to ship the K-61 in May, then July, but it could be August now. I just wish I knew what the hold up was?

Yeah! The TI is nice, but really expensive, I'm sure it will come down, in price eventually. I toyed with the Poly Evolver, and SH-201, both pretty cool keyboards. Although the Evolver is expensive. The SH-201 is a throw back to Roland's earlier SH synths from the 1970's. Rather unusal synth, in that it has no dispaly. Last synth I saw that had no display was my music teachers Minimoog.

The Radias looks cool, but a bit over priced.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online