SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#99003 - 01/10/05 11:15 AM Scott, did you get your new gadget yet?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, checking in to see how the Notation/music/lyric display gadget is working out..

#99004 - 01/10/05 12:27 PM Re: Scott, did you get your new gadget yet?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Fran: Yep, the MusicPad Pro 'Plus':
http://freehandsystems.com/products.html

arrived on my doorstep last Thursday. I've been busy having fun getting it setup and importing music (lead sheets, chord charts, and/or lyrics sheets) into it. What I especially like is how easy it is to convert Band In A Box files (lead sheets, chord charts, and/or lyrics), Microsoft Word documents, or any other music software program which supports 'file print' into MusicPadPro's Freehand Systems file format. Once specific setting adjustments are tweaked, I get very acceptable viewing results on the MusicPad Pro. The only format I've yet to get optimal viewing results are from specific PDF files. Perhaps the limitation comes from the possibility that these particular PDF files (as the Pro had suggested) may have been highly compressed when originally created. Also, music scanned in from my Canon Scanner appear to look pretty good on the MusicPad Pro.

The display is bright & ez to read, and song organiziation & the ability to call up any song quickly is a plus. The MusicPad Pro navigation system utilizes a TOUCH Screen (no keyboard). My only complaint (so far) is that navigating & selecting individual items (icons & folders & files)is a little difficult with larger fingers, and more easy to accurately select with supplied pen. Freehand Systems (manufacterer) advised me that they are working on releasing a future OS update to make the icons a little larger to make it easier for direct finger access/selection.

A feature which personally appeals to me is the ability to markup the score with personal notes, chord changes, and other personal notes like: arranger specific button/registration change notations using multi-colored pens.

I'll provide a detailed review of the MusicPad Pro in a few days, but so far, this device looks to be a keeper.I'll keep you guys posted on further developments.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-10-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online