SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98484 - 11/04/05 02:54 PM MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Dnj Offline

Im trying to hook a controller KB evolution 461c KB to the 3k....

never did it before & I need some help in makin it work.settings recieve transmit etc etc
any midi gerus out there??????

I think the problem is that it didnt come with a AC adapter so Im using the USB to midi cable it come with to power it via teh LT......but I dont know if you can use it via midi without the adapter to the 3k?.....so Im off to radio shack top buy a 9v adapter now Arggg!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-04-2005).]

#98485 - 11/04/05 04:00 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Clif Anderson Offline

Donny, you are right, you cannot power the controller over the USB-MIDI cable. You would need a USB-host to USB-device cable connected to your computer or other device with a to-device USB port. However, the USB-MIDI cable is proper for controlling your 3k with the controller. It should work without any special effort on your part, as your 3k is probably set to receive in omni mode. If it does not work, you will have to figure out how to match the controller's transmit channel with the 3ki's receive channel. Good luck.

#98486 - 11/04/05 05:33 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Dnj Offline

went out got the AC adapter & after 3 hrs still can't make it work via MIDI with the 3k..as a prelim to the Midjay next week..
I got a headache trying ........tried every 3k Midi config I could think of......read the manual etc etc ....it even stumped Mr Wizard!
Although all the buttons and sliders are nice but the keyfeel is HORRIBLE IMHO on the M Audio 461c...Way too flimsy & lightweight for my taste.........even the key corners/edges are sharp to the touch on glisandos, etc ....
It will go Bye Bye in the morning for sure...the search continues for a nice controller ...next! !

#98487 - 11/04/05 06:14 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
is it possible this controller may only work with a computer?? Does it actually have midi in & out port, or just USB?

The psr3k may be different, but if I want to midi my clavinova (usb) to my dgx305 (usb), I have to do it via my laptop.

I got this from the Yamaha Website on the psr3k

USB TO HOST is plug and play simple for recording and playing back MIDI files, as well as transferring data to and from your computer.

"USB TO DEVICE is for connecting optional peripheral USB storage devices like floppy disk drives, thumb drives and hard drives. USB TO DEVICE is also used for connecting the keyboard to the Internet using an optional USB-Ethernet or USB Wi-Fi adaptor. "

It doesn't mention that you can actually connect a keyboard directly via usb, just the drives????

If your controller actually has a midi out port, you may be able to connect it to a psr that way.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-04-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#98488 - 11/04/05 06:28 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

is it possible this controller may only work with a computer?? Does it actually have midi in & out port, or just USB?

Rikki.......It has a Midi out & USB......
somtimes units just dont talk to each other correctly for some reason......who knows?
being I couldnt try it anywhere in a store around here I took a shot at it..........
But I tried to no avail.....even if it worked the other faults I decribed turned me off significantly to justify any stage use with it.....anyway thanx for the reply....
take care.

#98489 - 11/04/05 07:14 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Dnj,
can I ask a dumb question, what are you actually using the controller keyboard for, are you going to use it with a computer or controlling a keyboard? Couldn't quite work it out.
Just wondering did you try it with just an ordinary midicable ie midi out( controller) to midi in ( psr )?? No USB.
Other thing, can you actually set the midi out channel on the controller keyboard without having it connected to a computer?
I gather you're no longer interested in this one, but it may be an issue with another one as well.

Also did you have the correct settings in your PSR for receiving?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with modern day usb controllers that connect to computers , I'm a bit of an old dinosaur who used to luv fooling round midiing stuff together.

Good luck with your hunt for a controller.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B] Rikki.......It has a Midi out & USB......
somtimes units just dont talk to each other correctly for some reason......who knows?
being I count try it anywhere in a staore around here I took a shot at it..........
But I tried to no avail.....even if it worked the other faults I decribed turned me off significantly to justify any stage use with it.....anyway thanx for the reply....
take care.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-04-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#98490 - 11/04/05 08:04 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Dnj Offline

Gonna hook it up to control a MIDJAY module... http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.htm

Its boxed and ready to go back

I'l be tryig a Fatar Kb next

#98491 - 11/04/05 08:29 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Donny,

the one way that it will work for sure is if you connect your controller to the PSR/MIDJAY with the midi cable (MIDI out on the keyboard to MIDI In on the module/PSR).

I think the USB connection will work to a computer, which maps MIDI over USB, but not to a PSR (check with AJ if it may work with MIDJAY).

Regards,
Alex

#98492 - 11/04/05 09:42 PM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Donny

All you must do is hook the usb (EV) to your computer no drivers necessary and the midi from Evolution to your other synth. Same channel of course. It works here...

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 11-04-2005).]

#98493 - 11/05/05 05:04 AM Re: MIDI KB help Midi gerus needed
Dnj Offline

Thanx for all the help...........

Its gone back...the quality of some of these controller is horendous.......Live & Learn

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-05-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online