SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#984 - 11/01/05 02:33 PM microKorg piano effect
bthmedicinetree Offline

Loc: cranston, RI, USA
I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to make an effect that sounds like regular piano on the microKorg, or atleast close to it? Anyone mind posting the parameters and such? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out...

#985 - 11/02/05 12:04 PM Re: microKorg piano effect
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi!
You rule man.

A "Piana Effect" for a Micro Korg? Are you a guitarist by any chance? LOL

Wel, seriously if you are looking for a piano sound on your mIcro Korg or a way to create one you're facing a brick wall. A Micro Korg is an analog modeling synth. Not made for piano sounds.

It is only capable of making cheepy fake EP sounds. That's it. DOn't expect "The Grand".

Hey, I wil look into this. I'm not really an ass but a joker. You just made me laugh that's all.
Reminded me of times wen my drummer and bass were trying to find a switch on my Odyssey so it "could like make drum sounds and kits like those cool groove-box things..."
I think that was one of the highlights of all my studio experiences and adventures.

If you really decide to persue this and try to get a piano type sound out of your Micro Korg than the best you can do is basically take an existing fake EP sound and turn up the cutoff freq and modify the envelope shape so it becomes more percussive. Don't get to discouraged since I once had to use only analog synths and got some pretty cool percussive keyboard sounds some of which worked as well as a piano in the mix of other sounds.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-02-2005).]

#986 - 11/05/05 12:19 AM Re: microKorg piano effect
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
ED, as soon as I read this it was no surprise to see you had responded to it. I somehow knew you would lol. And what are you trying to say about guitarists anyway Don't you play guitar yourself just like I do ?

But you were more restrained in your response than I expected and everything you said was just how it is. It's hard for people to realize the difference between sample playback and analogue synthesis. I guess because you and I grew up with MOOG, Sequential Circuits and ARP synths we know only too well what they are good at and what they aren't.

Like ED said you maybe able to coax an electronic sounding electric piano sound out of the MicroKorg but that's all. On the other hand that CAN work well in some songs and may work for you. But it will never sound like an acoustic piano. That is not what the MicroKorg was designed to do. But what it does do it does very well. If you are just using the MicroKorg with a PC and you have a MIDI connection then you could trigger the PC's GM piano sound using the MicroKorg just as a MIDI controller. But you would need to have a MIDI adapter of some sort for your PC to connect them together.

#987 - 11/05/05 06:04 AM Re: microKorg piano effect
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Either that or get a used Korg TR rack or something similar. Will take care of them "pianas".

Yup, agreed. Times have changed. THings got a bit more advanced and confusing. Can't know everything. I don't personally.

But will help if we can.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-05-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online