SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96522 - 10/21/02 02:17 PM How To Play Latin Music
KN_Fan Offline

Hi all,
I'm trying to broaden my horizon and start learning to play latin music...anybody here can share a good book to buy? Online resources? I basically would like to know the different chord voicings, right-hand coordination, scales, etc...basically everything that will make my music sounds "latin"...(instead of press "rhumba" on the rhythm section...).

Thanks all.
KN_Fan.

#96523 - 10/21/02 03:18 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
KN Fan,
it all depends on what kind of latin music you are referring to. Just to make an example, salsa piano players play a lot of notes in octaves with the right hand and use that technique to play repetitive riffs which kind of add to the rhytm section. On the other hand, bossa nova players use complex chords, like b5, b9, 13, etc and actually have a lot in common with jazz players. Just to start, you could take a midifile of a latin song you would like to play and then analize the tracks with a program like Power Tracks, Cakewalk, Cubase, etc, to see how the chords, scales, riffs are played. Otherwise, you could simply listen carefully to the latin styles in your keyboard and try to replicate what the different players are doing.
Frankly, I don't think that a book would be really useful. Anyway, if you can be more specific about the genre of music you would like to play, that would be helpful.

#96524 - 10/22/02 09:28 AM Re: How To Play Latin Music
deb Offline

Loc: netherlands
Put a hat on your head, this certainly helps.
I saw this many times when latinmusic was
played.

#96525 - 10/22/02 01:31 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
KN_Fan Offline

Dream,

I'm not sure of the style I want to be playing...but I think I can do bossa nova just fine (at least to my standard...heh.he..). Perhaps I was looking for something more "authentic"? or..for modern music, like Selena's...or Miami Sound Machine's...

Deb,
Tried it (10 gallon hat)..didn't work. Perhaps I should try a sombrero instead.

KN_Fan.

#96526 - 10/22/02 02:06 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
Dreamer Offline

Miami Sound Machine, uh? You mean Gloria Estefan and the likes...well, that takes a lot of octave playing, like we said before. There is no ready-made recipe, just listen to the music you would like to play and get into the right mood (when your body starts moving with the rhytm is a good sign). Then select a style like a salsa on your keyboard and start playing simple chords, like Cm and Bb in succession, with both hands wide spaced on the keyboard (try these fingerings: G-C-Eb-G for Cm and F-Bb-D-F for Bb) and try to play in time with the music, with the two hands playing NOT at the same time (imagine that instead of playing a keyboard you are playing congas: the keyboard becomes a percussive instrument and you hit the keys instead of a drum). Play until you become one with the music.
Okay, that was just the beginning...

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 10-22-2002).]

#96527 - 10/22/02 02:11 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That's a damn good explanation Dreamer... You're right.. The piano does become percussive.. I remember when I lived out in Mesa Arizona.. I had a lot of friends that played in latin bands.. It was always a treat to watch the keyboardist play...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#96528 - 10/22/02 02:19 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Deb:
I think you forgot to put the "smilie" on your comment about the hat, right?

Mario

#96529 - 10/22/02 03:06 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Dreamer...keep those advises flowing in....

I was taught also to use different inversion for both hands..like simple A Minor (e, a c, on left, a c, e on right..or the other way around? I don't remember...he.he..i'm emailing from work so, obviously no keyboard to try it with...play the triads along with the rhtyhm...)

#96530 - 10/22/02 10:05 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
Dreamer Offline

Yes, the idea of playing different inversions for left and right hand is very good; another option is to use chord alterations. In the above example the Cm can easily become a Cm9 playing a chord like Eb-G-Bb-D with the right hand (while still playing G-Cm-Eb-G with the left hand). There is really a lot to experiment; sometimes a latin tune starts just from a successione of two chords like these played with the right feel.

#96531 - 10/22/02 10:51 PM Re: How To Play Latin Music
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Andrea.

The first lesson is fine !

Chico

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online