SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96466 - 12/30/01 12:59 PM Need advice on unpowered speakers
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I have a powered mixer (275w into 4 Ohm x 2), and was looking to get a pair of speakers to work with it. I was looking into various speakers, on eBay and at the stores. I have seen Community speakers, which are fairly inexpensive, as well as other, more expensive brands. The main considerations are weight and power handling, but primarily it needs to sound good for a full-range application using arranger.

Do any of you have any experience and recommendations you can share?

Thank you,
Alex

#96467 - 12/31/01 01:16 AM Re: Need advice on unpowered speakers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Community's are a good buy - they are light weight and handle alot of power. There are also speakers from PRO that are turning heads around here. Peavey has some lightweight models, as well as EV. Spend a whole day, and bring a CD or tape of YOUR music to play through them. It's the best way to audition speakers.

#96468 - 12/31/01 02:00 AM Re: Need advice on unpowered speakers
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've always been very happy with Peavey. They are light-weight, inexpensive and very reliable. I have big ones and little ones.
The are generally not available on the internet because Peavey tries to protect their dealers.
You can get at least 30% off retail if you insist.
DonM

#96469 - 12/31/01 03:21 AM Re: Need advice on unpowered speakers
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup - Peavey is one guy that refuses to allow any mail order sales. He really does try to give his dealers the edge.

#96470 - 12/31/01 12:47 PM Re: Need advice on unpowered speakers
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Uncle Dave, Don,

Thank you both for the information. I appreciate your advice, especially as I have never had done any speaker shopping before.

Regards,
Alex

#96471 - 12/31/01 06:10 PM Re: Need advice on unpowered speakers
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello and happy new year, I think you should take a look to RAMSA and TOA, they make a very nice, fine, light-weight and reliable models, I had (until few months ago) for more than 11 years couple pair of Ramsas AW300 (300wts. RMS EACH), I sold them because I got more bang for the $, but they still work just fine, I´m not shure about the model.

------------------
mdorantes

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online