SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#961 - 07/11/03 09:25 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Soft Machine Offline

Being born in the 70s and growing up in the 80s, there was no escaping the sound of synthesizers.

Somehow, as i grew older, I came to hate synths sounds, and went into a totally different musical direction.

But strangely enough, the earliest songs i had heard in my life revolved around those machines, and i still held those songs very dear to my heart.

I think that for me, at least, without pinpointing an exact time, the interest came by trying to re-live those days of my early life and the whole cultural aspect of life itself which has never stopped but continues to evolve. (maybe i was trying to understand the context of time where i came in)

Synthesizers, as well as any new technology, really were and still are part of a revolution. It all goes hand in hand.

man I knew this would be a hard question to answer..not enuff space..im blabbering

ps: Junos may not have the fattest of sounds but the design has to be the most intuitive I've ever seen. Too bad i sold my 106 to buy a 300lbs Hammond M3. I'm glad i have the M3 but I miss the little guy.

And all the ppl who said it are right...
Some pads and sounds i did with a 106 had the most pristine, crystal clear sound ive ever came up on a synth ((other)) than a Roland.

#962 - 07/11/03 09:48 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Soft Machine Offline

But mostly,
i miss his weight

#963 - 07/12/03 05:28 AM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
So, are they quite light?

#964 - 07/12/03 01:03 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Soft Machine Offline

My was I loaded..hihi

For a 5 octave keyboard of that time they're pretty lightweight.

#965 - 07/13/03 03:25 AM Re: How did you all get into synth?
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
played Classical piano from abot 6 or 7 (My mum was a piano teacher) to about grade 7 I think .all was fine untill the school bought a roland Jx3P its been all down hill from there ! Its sometime nice now to play a 'real' piano like with wood and stuff on it .
and speaking of weighty Kbds I got a ensoniq Esq 1 (predates teks SQ1 I think) maaaaannnnn it was heavy didnt sound toooo bad though quite analouge-ish for a s+s synth

#966 - 07/13/03 07:27 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
O.K. JOHNSON Offline

Loc: LACEY, WASH. USA
I got into synths about 10 years ago. Background in Hammond organ (M series, H-112 and B-3) since mid 60s. First synth was an EMU MPS+. Also have a Korg Trinity and EMU sampler and assorted rack gear. I play contemporary worship music at church and some classical and "old standard" stuff my folks required of me. Still like the R&R and blues.

Synths are definitely lighter to pack than the Hammond and offer a bigger pallete of sounds. However, my heart still lies with the Hammond and Leslie combo. Nothing quite like it.

#967 - 07/14/03 08:08 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Llyren Offline

Wow, I definately feel like a newbie. I've been playing piano - classical and the occasional Broadway or ragtime thrown in - for close to ten years. About a year and a half ago I got an interest in composing and an interest in playing in a rock band about the same time, and bought myself a low-cost synthesizer to take care of both new hobbies, building a small MIDI setup with a computer and working my way into a band a few of my friends had formed. It took about a year before I realized the limited possibilities of the Roland XP-10, but once I bought an XP-80, it was synth showtime within a week. (I formed my own band, too.)

#968 - 07/19/03 09:51 AM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I started by climbing up onto the bench for the organ that my aunt had and making as much noise as possible with it. I figure I was about 4 years old or so. She also had a piano but I just wasn't all that interested in it. I liked the organ better right from the beginning because I wanted something portable and you could alter the sounds and do cool things with it. Even at 6 years old I kinda realized the value of this for me. It didn't get much more portable than my 2 octave magnus chord organ. I could pick the thing up and move it at from room to room at will.

I stayed with organs until I got my Hohner Clavinet back in about 1977. A few years later, and after a trip or two to Sam Ash and a thorough cleansing of my bank account, I was playing a CP25 and a Poly six. The Poly6 immediately clicked with me when I realized I could alter the sounds in it. I loved that setup and it served me through the 80's and into the early 90's, although occasionally I'd added and subtracted a couple of Casio synths here and there. Then I got an M1 and was just in awe at the time.

Had synths been as widely available and affordable in the 60's when I began to play,
I would have immediately set out to be a synth player. I tried drums way back when too, but I was so into keyboard / organ that I never really tried to develop any real skill at it. Today, armed with a little better knowledge of drum beats and patterns, thanks in large part to midi technology, I have rekindled my interest in drumming a bit.

AJ

#969 - 08/05/03 10:07 PM Re: How did you all get into synth?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Piano player since age 3. My sisters had some old keyboards for the family band. I was drummer. Sisters had an old Crumar for bass and some Korg thing for the leads. My folks still have them. Don't remember the models.
Anyway, I never got too interested in the synthe sounds of a synthe. I am more interested in having a keyboard that does really good representations of real instruments. Also, I just like the ability to create sequences for my own backing tracks when i play other instruments.
Bought my first real synthe, Roland XP80, in 99. Prior to that we always had some toy keyboards around, plus my sisters' keyboards. They also had a Roland RD700, which I sometimes now use as a weighted controller for the XP. My styles are country and jazz, but I've done session work for rock, and R&B and pop stuff as well.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 08-05-2003).]

#970 - 08/06/03 12:41 AM Re: How did you all get into synth?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Ensoniq totally redeemed themselves later though, when I found out the guy who started it, is the same guy that made the SID chip.

-tek

The SID chip was a lot of fun to program. I wrote a couple of synths in 6502 assembly code when I used to write games for the Commodore 64. Even though it was only 3 voices you could do a lot with them with a little imagination combined with coding.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-06-2003).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online