SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#96320 - 08/27/03 03:42 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
benthepianoboy,

The local dealers in my city are complaining about the same thing. But I have one question for all of them:

How come George Kay is selling lot of keyboards? What value does he add to the sale that make everyone wish they live by his store?

Just a question.

#96321 - 08/27/03 04:25 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
.... Even on these discussion forums there seems to be a separation of attitudes and purpose. I know some of you guys can’t figure why the people that play that overpriced keyboard made by a manufacture who could care less about add-on harmonizers and blinking colored lights are so enthused and have so much pleasure playing them.

Man, some of you guys really get yourselves riled up. That ‘T’ word sure gives some of you ‘Y’ guys a big lump in the middle of your throat and an upset gut.

Tell me about what you don’t like about what I just said.

I’m listening, Grandpa Doug

Hi Grandpa Doug,
I can figure exactly why people would buy that 'overpriced' Kn7000 and that is because it is an excellent keyboard. My point was never to dispute that fact. Like I said I bought Technics and nothing but Technics for years. I even auditioned the 7000 before plumping for the pro. Visually it looks the dog's whatsits and in my humble opinion the sound / speaker system is unparralelled on any keyboard out today.
I even think that no keyboard has been able to match the soundsystem on technics since the kn5000 and with each subsequent model have raised the standard even further.

My point though is that Technics, especially in this day and age, cannot rely on customer / brand loyalty alone. I work very hard for my cash and have a perfect right to be demanding when I am spending it. If I think I am being placated or not getting the best value or that you are playing on my loyalty you are not getting my hard earned.

You say Technics could not care less about harmonisers or blinking lights.....well they do or they would not include the harmoniser in the first place. It really is awful and of sub standard quality. Still they put in on to compete with other brands. Like I said before I would have had more respect if they had said "Sorry guys we make keyboards not harmonisers". But they don't and they won't because they need to compete. If they are happy to leave it on they should be happy to accept the criticism.

I don't get riled up at the 'T' word. Well maybe I do a bit at the 'H' word I don't know why it bothers me so much other than the attitude that Technics seemed to have over the harmoniser that people would put up with it because they are so strong in other areas. As a business man yourself surely you must agree that today manufacturers need to cover all bases and be seen to go the extra mile to keep their clients?

I am not sure that to buy anything other than a Technics infers that you follow the pack rather than innovate or lead but you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

I will say that I love a hundred things about my 9000pro and am glad I made the change BUT I bet there are a hundred and one things I don't like about it as well and EVEN find myself often saying....why can't they do it like Technics!

Until Technics buy out Yamaha or Vice versa and make the Yamatech 99000 we will always feel that we need to defend our board of choice and to the hilt Personally if Korg, Technics, Yammie, or even Casio bring out an amazing board next year I will be first in line to try it and would have no qualms about changing whatever logo is emblazened on the back. (Hope the harmoniser is decent though ;D )

All the very best
Tony W

#96322 - 08/28/03 05:34 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
benthepianoboy Offline

Loc: Sacramento Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
benthepianoboy,

The local dealers in my city are complaining about the same thing. But I have one question for all of them:

How come George Kay is selling lot of keyboards? What value does he add to the sale that make everyone wish they live by his store?

Just a question.

Fill me in on George Kay... I'm not familiar with him.

#96323 - 08/28/03 06:49 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
"How come George Kay is selling lot of keyboards?

Perception me boy, perception!

Grandpa Doug

[This message has been edited by Douglas Dean (edited 08-28-2003).]

#96324 - 08/28/03 07:04 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by benthepianoboy:
Fill me in on George Kay... I'm not familiar with him.

Hello Ben ,

George Kaye has a music store in the Los Angeles area . He has been participating on the forum for years.
Dano

------------------
keyboardcity@yahoo.com
www.keyboardcity.net
1-866-348-8876

#96325 - 08/29/03 10:14 PM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote by Tony W: “I don't know why it bothers me so much other than the attitude that Technics seemed to have over the harmonizer that people would put up with it because they are so strong in other areas. As a business man yourself surely you must agree that today manufacturers need to cover all bases and be seen to go the extra mile to keep their clients”?

Tony, yes, it would seem on the surface as a business man (that's me), surely must agree that today manufacturers need to cover all bases and be seen to go the extra mile to keep their clients? Well let’s see! From Sears department store I buy most of the tools we use in our two shops. Very good tools. We have six kids. All the years raising those kids, to this very day we do not buy any clothes from Sears because they stink. The quality is not very good. We buy them from another department store, Carson or Fields, where we found we could pass them down from one kid to another. In other words the quality was such that they lasted longer. Both department stores, but neither covers all bases even to this day. I buy my fertilizer from one landscape supply company, my grass seed from another. Why? They don’t cover all bases but they are landscape supply companies. I buy all the grafted plants, all the seedling plants and all the different varieties that I line out in my nursery from different propagating nurseries and greenhouses. They are all successful and have kept their clients for many years without trying to be all things to all people. There have been some who have tried but are no longer with us. As a business man owning my own company for 58 years I do not cover all bases in my business. Neither do my sons who have all but taken over and are running it. I hang around in the office looking important doing some of the computer drawing when I feel like it and taking credit when ever I can get away with it. There are things we have done very well over the years and some things we are not really interested in but do provide. If our clients insist on quality above our ability to provide excellence, we recommend others that can provide the specialty we are not very apt or interested in. We go the extra mile to keep our clients that come to us for our expertise but we don’t feel a need to cover all bases. However we sure do keep our clients. Tony I do hope this makes some sense to you. There is a segment of the population that are brand loyal even to this very day. No matter how shoddy the product or how crappie the service, they are loyal. I really feel sorry for them, they are missing so much. We have been given one life and a set number of years on this earth, how sad.

Tony, you are right, If they are happy to leave it on (harmonizer) they should be happy to accept the criticism. Please, please Tony and the rest of the unhappy campers out there: call them, write them, visit them, send them e-mail or anything else you can think of and criticize them, read them the riot act, tell them how stupid they are, tell them how much money they are loosing because you wont buy one because you have a bug up your rear end. I’m sure they will cry all the way to the bank. You guys, I don’t make them, I don’t design them, I don’t sell them, I just play them, enjoy them, make a few bucks with them and the people like to fill my little jar to say thanks for the lovely sounding music and a lovely evening.

If you don’t get riled up at the (T) word, then what gets you all so riled up? Man, on the other forum nobody picks apart the other keyboards. The only remarks made about the other boards was that some of the guys bought the 9000’s and the Tyros and made a mistake and never play them anymore. They don’t produce Rheims of print finding fault.

Tony, you say quote: “I am not sure that to buy anything other than a Technics infers that you follow the pack rather than innovate or lead but you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine”. My opinion is, that is not what I said. This is what I said, Quote: You hit it right on the head, Don. Most of the players around you play Yamaha because you do. Only confirms my observations, most people are followers and not leaders. Here is the quote from Don: “But, in all fairness, they are playing them because I do”. I know you have some kind of a sore spot with Technics but please don’t put words in my mouth. Don was saying there are some guys around him that play Yamaha’s because he does. I remarked that confirmed some of my thoughts on the subject. I could care less what people desire to play. What I do have an interest in is why people do what they do, why they have the attitudes they do and what makes them tick. Because I have to deal with people everyday in the process of selling them my wares it helps me to understand how they think, and why. So to sum my observations to this point, I think the only thing that happened is that I am getting a headache.

Grandpa Doug

#96326 - 08/30/03 03:51 AM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Grandpa Doug,
First off apologies if you thought I was putting words in your mouth, believe me I would not dare My mistake. I assumed you were saying something you were not and it is not the first time assumption has got me into hot water!

Believe it or not I did once write to technics (how sad is that) over the harmoniser issue! Not that I got much of a response..... In the grand scheme of things my little £1800 purchase did not register that much and although I did not like the fact I am realistic enough to understand it. I did the only thing I could do as a consumer and that was to change brands next time I was in the market for a board.

Don't get me wrong....I would not cut my nose off to spite my face! Even I am not that daft. Had Yammie or anyone else not had a board that compared favourably to Technics I would have sat on my pride and carried on 'kn' ing

The simple fact is that there are choices out there and I suppose it is a good thing too.

If I have a Technics 'bug up my rear end' then I bet I have two Yamaha ones up there as well keeping it company! I freely admit I am hard to please but I really don't want that to come across as my being so myopic as to blame only one company for all the ills in the keyboarding world!

It is true that the other forum (fori, fora, what is the plural of forum?) do not pick apart other boards but I think they tend to be more brand specific whilst here in the general forum we tend to take every opportunity to justify (not least to ourselves) why we spent so much money on a particular brand / model. It is back to choices I think.....with so much quality stuff out there we like to reassure ourselves that we 'got it right'. Often this materialises in the form of denegrating the competition when in reality we were only a gnats 'eyelash' from buying it in the first place

Of course we could and probably would disagree for the next forty posts over the harmoniser on technics models. It does not really matter though. What is important to me does not have to be important to anyone else. It is only my opinion and I made my choices because of it. The fact that I now have a board with a half decent harmoniser on it and yet never use it (the harmoniser not the board ) only serves to make me wonder why I got so het up about it in the first place......funny things principles!

I am sure the thing we can agree on is that whatever we play, buy, moan about, or adulate we all love to make music and that is what keeps us all here and keeps us all so passionate. Maybe we should all concentrate on that because at the end of the day the Technics v Yamaha contest is as silly as Gershwin v Porter.

Hope your headache improves and that I have not made it worse!
Very best to you
Tony W

#96327 - 08/30/03 05:12 AM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony W:
(fori, fora, what is the plural of forum?)
Tony W

I think "fora" is a good bet

#96328 - 08/30/03 05:41 AM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
grandpa doug,i agree with a lot of what you say,BUT following sheep,on this great site there are pro,s who have valuable input regardless of the keyboards offered,its ok to say to people to go into the shops and try out for yourself all the keyboards and pick what you like best (i,m not saying that you said this) iv,e had my psr2000 for just over a year now and i still don,t understand everything about it,when you try other keyboards with different layouts to fathom,its not easy for most of us ,thats why we rely on the pro,s on this site even though it is sometimes bias,i for one would rather trust my friends here than a salesman who MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEIR PRODUCT is only interested in my money,i don,t include george kaye or don or others dealers on this site,because there is a lot of sincerity in what they say,for this reason i suggested some time ago that maybe we could have a breakdown of all the keyboards on each part of say 1 to10 on sounds, operating ,styles etc,etc etc,as said before there is no perfect keyboard but the better we can get for our money the more happier we are,mike

#96329 - 08/30/03 07:21 AM Re: KN7000 is Toast...... Upon further investigation..
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
"Rheims" of print - nice. Keyboards are a personal choice. In a particular class of keyboards you can't really say one is "better" than another. One person's sound is another person's noise. Certain features may be "better" but overall keyboards are as Doug points out - none of them are "better" in every respect. I've long been a Yamaha person and XG user but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a KN-7000 if I had the money because I like it whatever its benefits or faults. It's all down to personal opinion in the end and we'll never have a definitive answer to that one otherwise we wouldn't be here, arguing the toss.

Bryan

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online