SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96082 - 12/18/02 10:17 AM Converting PSR2000 Registrations to TYROS
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
There is no way to automatically convert the registration memory file from PSR-2000 to the Tyros, however the following method may help to reduce the manual conversion time.

1) Connect PSR-2000 MIDI out to Tyros MIDI in.

2) Set the MIDI Out status on the PSR-2000 and MIDI In status on the Tyros as follows:
PSR-2000 ch1 Main ==> Tyros ch1 Right1
PSR-2000 ch2 Layer ==> Tyros ch2 Right2
PSR-2000 ch3 Left ==> Tyros ch3 Left

3) Select one of the registration memories on the PSR-2000.

4) Store the current setting on Tyros to the registration memory.

NOTE: If a parameter setting for consecutive registrations is the same as the previous one, the PSR-2000 doesn't send a MIDI message. Yamaha recommends selecting several registration memories between steps 3 and 4 and then confirming that all parameters are updated. Yamaha arranger keyboards won't send parameter change data out the MIDI jack, if a parameter is already set. For example: if the current registration uses the style ''8 Beat 1'', which uses the GM Standard Drum Kit, and the next registration changes the style to ''8 Beat 2'' which also uses the GM Standard Drum Kit, the keyboard will not send the GM Standard Drum Kit patch change, because it's already on GM Standard Kit. Choosing a dissimilar Registration before selecting the final one helps to insure that all of the patch changes and other required information is being transmitted out the MIDI jack.

Hope that helps,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#96083 - 12/19/02 12:24 AM Re: Converting PSR2000 Registrations to TYROS
Datablues Offline

Loc: Nuernberg, Germany
Hi Steve

first of all thank you for this information. Nobody at the moment was able to tell if it's working or not.

But on the other hand, I do not understand YAMAHA. TYROS supports the conversion of PSR8000/9000 registration files in the software bundle on the CD-ROM delivered with TYROS. I tested this with my local music dealer here in Germany.
Why there is no converion for PSR2000. First I guess knowing the PSR2000 OS very well, that it is quite similar to that of TYROS. Second if someone has bought a PSR9000 in the last two years it will be hard for him to sell this with a big loss and to spend again so much money for the new TYROS, specially because a lot of people here in the forum are saying that TYROS do not have so many new feature compared with PSR9000/pro. But for me as a user of the PSR2000 TYROS is a big step. And I guess a lot of PSR2000 owners think in the same way. Therefore supporting the change for PSR2000 owners is more important!

BTW I ordered my TYROS three weeks ago, but at the moment YAMAHA seems to be unable to deliver anything here in Germany or around the world. This is also very strange for a Japanese company. I guess a lot of your marketing people and specially the ones reponsible for organisation should be fired.

Best greetings from Germany

Datablues

Datablues

#96084 - 12/19/02 09:10 AM Re: Converting PSR2000 Registrations to TYROS
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Datablues,

I cannot tell you why the decision was made to develop the conversion for one model and not another. I can't promise anything, but I will gladly pass along your comments and let you know what response I get.

Regarding your delivery issue, we're early in production of model that's in high demand right now. I imagine the orders are exceeding the scheduled production. I know you're anxious, but try to be patient. Nobody plans to have backorders, it just happens sometimes.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#96085 - 12/19/02 10:43 AM Re: Converting PSR2000 Registrations to TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Steve,

Thanks for your response regarding PSR2000 to Tyros registration file conversion instructions. Though I'd prefer an automatic software utility, your method is the next best thing until a conversion software utility is developed.

I recently received word from Heiko, that his PSR Registration 'naming' utility: 'PSR Reg' will be updated to include support for the Tyros. http://heikoplate.de/indexhtml.htm

I'm also trying to persuade our good friend Michael Bedesem (Yamaha PSR software programmer guru) to explore the possbility of writing a software utility program which will convert PSR2000 registrations to work on the Tyros. I believe that Michael is purchasing a Tyros himself, so I'm confident (with his talents) that he will be able to come up with a registration conversion program. . . keeping my fingers crossed. - Scott

#96086 - 12/20/02 06:00 AM Re: Converting PSR2000 Registrations to TYROS
Datablues Offline

Loc: Nuernberg, Germany
Dear Steve...

sorry for my open words, I don't want to offend you. You're one of the first YAMAHA guys trying to help me... and that's great!!!

I will be patient, cause you YAMAHA people are always working with the good old marketing trick, proven since hundret of years. You make fantasic performances or demonstrations with your new products (I joined one in October this year with Peter Bartmanns from Netherlands) and puhh... after this I knew I want to buy this beast asap. In my opinion it's the one of the best keyboards around... (sorry guys ;-) ).

And getting such a outstanding board it worth waiting some days, weeks or (hopefully not!!!) months.

After all I'm a big fan of YAMAHA boards...

Greetings from Germany

Datablues

[This message has been edited by Datablues (edited 12-20-2002).]

Datablues

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online