SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95941 - 11/24/04 05:38 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The reason Smartmedia was used could well have been cost. Smartmedia was specifically designed to replace floppy drives with minimal rework (it's file structure closely matches that of floppy discs). But this also means thats its capacity is inherantly limited.

It'll do me in my 3mp camera; I get 80 pictures per 64meg. I'd be a bit scared about using a mega capacity card as this might make me lazy in backing up the pictures and then the consequences of media failure are that much greater.

#95942 - 11/24/04 08:43 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Compact flash seems to be the most stable, and are available in large compacity[512 and larger]..Roland uses this with the VR760, and I think this will work with the G70[pcmcia slot with card reader]..
I had smart media failures with the DisCover5..maybe they are not all that dependable..

#95943 - 11/24/04 05:32 PM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I won't miss smart media at all!!! I inserted 1 card into my PSR3000 and use it like an internal hard drive. I've never removed it. It seems to fragile to keep inserting and removing to exchange data with my computer. I do use and LOVE my 128 meg USB pen drive and use that to swap files. They are much more durable and the prices have really dropped during this year!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online