SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95921 - 11/22/04 08:23 PM SmartMedia Phasing Out?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
A couple of things have got me wondering as to how long we are going to be able to buy SmartMedia cards for our keyboards, cameras, etc. Our local Sam’s Club no longer stocks them and when I asked a clerk she said they would not be getting anymore. Then, today I noticed the latest issue of TigerDirect’s catalog lists a lot of digital media but only two SmartMedia cards. But what really caught my eye was the statement in their ad (printed in red), “Last Chance To Get SmartMedia.” Could a phasing out be happening?
Thanks,
Deaton

#95922 - 11/22/04 09:13 PM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Very interesting Deaton!

That is a brilliant observation and one that may well indeed be true and forthcoming. And sooner than we may realize too.

Smart Media is limited to 128 Mb's in capacity which is meagerly compared to other Formats like SD (Secure Digital) and Compact Flash cards.

Unless the Smart Media specification is somehow expanded to enable greater capacities, I think it will go the same route as the Floppy Disk but in a much shorter time frame. The Floppy Disk is obsolete technology that is of limited value in today's high tech world. Apple no longer sells Floppy Disk Drives in their computers. Many PC's no longer come with a Floppy Disk drive. Although the media is still available, the concept is totally out of date and becoming useless (beneficial) as a viable storage means.

I think the same thing is happening to Smart Media only at an accelerated pace.

I hope Yamaha is taking note of this phenomenon and acting accordingly.

PS: Don't come crying to me Yammie when the bottom falls out of Smart Media technology and you're left holding the bag. I have already voiced my thoughts about what I think of Smart Media and its limiting storage specification and its usefulness as a viable storage medium. And I have warned you of its continuing use in your Keyboard products. PS: The excuse of using it to make it backward compatible with other existing products doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

There, I've warned you again. I hope you guys finally listen...

Best regards,
Mike

#95923 - 11/22/04 09:50 PM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Vquestor Offline

The writing was on the wall for a while now.
Good riddence.

#95924 - 11/22/04 11:25 PM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hear that radio stations may not be using 8 track tapes any more either !

What's happening to the world?

Basketball players are fighting like Hockey players!
US Presidents are watching the backs of their SS men!
Philadelphia Eagles are 9-1 !!!!

It's mad I tell you, MAD< MAD< MAD !!!!!!!

#95925 - 11/23/04 01:22 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
just to add another phase-out:
Dixon's are selling off all their existing stock of VCR's and now stocking only DVD stuff.
Any more anyone's observed?
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#95926 - 11/23/04 04:53 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey UD

Caught a little of one of your US Basketball games on the TV the other night.

Didn't realise that it was a spectator sport. You have to be fit to go to those games!!!

Don't remember the team names but most of the action was in trhe crowd anyway.

KF

#95927 - 11/23/04 05:46 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Hey you have to be tough to even watch basketball in Michigan.

U.D. some things remain a constant in this crazy world to help us keep what little sanity we have left. In Michigan that constant is the Lions still suck.

Tom

Tom

#95928 - 11/23/04 06:25 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
There are YOUNG people I work with that think turntables are great!!! Doh! They love the clicks, pops, scratches, really retro???
Turntables?? My technics turntable is in a box in the basement. Where would you buy needles for them? I listen to CD's.
Starkeeper

#95929 - 11/23/04 06:30 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
Dnj Offline

CD's? whats that? !!

#95930 - 11/23/04 06:33 AM Re: SmartMedia Phasing Out?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was told by three retailers that smart media was being phased out because the format was too small for today's high-resolution digital camers, which is the primary purpose for which they were designed. One of the other problems, which has been pointed out on the forum, is they do tend to crash, similar in some ways to a hard disk drive. With this in mind, those of you who are now using them in your keyboards may wish to purchase a few to have them on hand as back-ups. Nothing is forever--including us!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online