SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95706 - 01/02/04 05:35 PM Something to listen...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't know him already, listen to this "kid" (specially - but not only - those into jazz): http://www.jamiecullum.com/ . That's what I call great and interesting music from the heart.

Happy New Year to all the "family"!

-- José.

#95707 - 01/02/04 06:00 PM Re: Something to listen...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jose. Thanks for bringing up this kid Jamie Cullum. Great stuff. There definitely seems to be a 'new' surge of talented young guns resurecting the classic standards. Boy I'm really feeling 'old' now !

Checkout the below audio clips. You'll need to 'scroll down' to the music samples. Definitely worth a listen. Highly recommended, I've got all these albums. - Scott

Jamie Cullum: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=music

Peter Cincotti: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ce&s=music&st=*

Michael Buble: http://www.michaelbuble.com/home.php

#95708 - 01/02/04 11:36 PM Re: Something to listen...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had the Michael Buble album for a few months now. Very hot arrangements. Very hot band. Very adequate singer. He sounds like a cross between Sinatra and Harry Connic Jr, but younger and less polished. His tone is great - his pitch too, but the overall effort is a bit labored for my taste. Some people can just swing naturally, and others have to "work at it". I was surprised to hear the George Michael tune (Kissing a fool) on that album. What a great song. I prefer Georges version, but Michael does an nice job on it too.

This kid would pack local places in Philly, but as a national act ..... I see him as another Sinatra wannabe. Nice pipes, just too sterile for me. Take away the band, and he's just an American Idol candidate.

Sorry Mickey ...... I call 'em as I see 'em !(hear 'em)

#95709 - 01/02/04 11:54 PM Re: Something to listen...
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi There,
I have the Buble album and the Jamie Cullum album. I much prefer Jamie Cullum. My Partner prefers Buble..... mind you he prefers Streisand I much prefer Midler (is that an S+M relationship?)

Jamie Cullum is brilliant and if you get the chance to see him perform he is amazing. Such energy and confidence. He sometimes confuses his piano for a set of drums (sacrilage) but I can forgive even that when you see the sheer passion he has for his craft. Amazing talent.....and he is but a babe in arms....I should hate him! (...but I can't)
Best wishes
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#95710 - 01/03/04 06:16 AM Re: Something to listen...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with Tony, I much prefer Jamie Cullum, he really breathes inspiration. The biography on his site is worth reading, as well as the texts accompaning his album descriptions. Had the chance to see him performing on the TV and I got to see him playing live. From what I could see/listen and read, I feel a great empathy with his personality and attitude towards his passion. He's young, still a lot to come in the future!

-- José.

#95711 - 01/03/04 06:26 AM Re: Something to listen...
Dnj Offline

Both those guys mentioned do nothing for me IMO but....
Im surprised no one has mentioned this upcoming Singing Star...

Michael Amante

www.michaelamante.com

check out the Listening Lounge Demos

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-03-2004).]

#95712 - 01/03/04 08:30 AM Re: Something to listen...
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Here is another musician's site I found very interesting. He's also on the Atkins Diet and lost quite a few lbs. Has his own club in Japan.

http://www.eddielandsberg.com/

Check out his tips for playing out, and his jazz faqs.

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 01-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 01-03-2004).]

#95713 - 01/03/04 11:50 AM Re: Something to listen...
Dnj Offline

That short B3 Video Jam sesion brings back the old days... oh Yeah!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-03-2004).]

#95714 - 01/05/04 05:39 AM Re: Something to listen...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Chet Atkins has a diet?

Tom

#95715 - 01/05/04 08:44 AM Re: Something to listen...
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
And as singers go, how about the big band arrangements of Steve Tyrell and Bobby Caldwell?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online