SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95351 - 07/26/07 06:07 PM Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I haven't used my Mackie since last summer outdoors and I'm confused about some things. I can't remember who has the 808s Mackie on this forum.

I'm hoping you will be able to help me with a couple of questions about hooking up for stereo and mono using my Carvin full range amp as a monitor etc.

I also have questions about some of the buttons. Another thing is that I have a distortion problem when playing my sax blowing harder in the upper register. I can't figure out whether to lower the volume knob or to lower the input level knob for the sax mic.
Thanks for your help,
Boo Hargis

#95352 - 07/26/07 07:42 PM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hi Boo! What's new?
On the second question, set the input to where the signal is good, but not overdriving, THEN adjust the volume to the appropriate level.
The output won't make it distort; the input will.
DonM

#95353 - 07/26/07 07:51 PM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hey, Boo. I've got an 808s. To hook up a power amp for your monitor use the monitor out jack (mono). It is a line signal that matches the volumes set to your monitor send dial at the top of each channel.

The mains mixer outs are also line signals, but they are matched to the mains volume dials. If you use one while broadcasting in stereo, you will only get that channel - so, you'd have to use both outs for stero. Using one mains out in mono would put the mains mix into your monitors.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-26-2007).]

#95354 - 07/27/07 04:58 AM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I also have the 808s. It can be a little confusing, especially the (rear) speaker outs (stereo vs mono w/monitors). It is also very unforgiving if not set up (eq'ed) correctly for both the speakers and the room. They're always a click or two away from going from crappy-sounding to reasonably good (I use mine with a pair of 2-way 12" Cerwin Vegas). Just a caution.

chas

#95355 - 07/27/07 07:49 AM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I use a pair of Mackie C300's and the system never sounds crappy. I would rate the system a '9' and only wish I had the money to move up to EV SX200's to improve the sound. I also use an EV SBa120b 12" sub and that really expands the sound. IMHO, Cerwin-Vega's are not speakers to use for a PA; my apologies Chas.

As for the speaker jacks in the back - if you are running stereo, one set is for right, the other for left. The trickiness comes when running the system in mono. But the jacks are clearly marked mains and monitor, so just be cautious and read carefully. In that case, you would not use the pan controls on the board, as the mains (bottom white) and mon (top red)dials control the channel mixes.

For EQ, Mackie suggests trying to start with a flat field, moving up and down ever so slightly as needed - as the EQ is very sensitive. I use: 63 flat, 125 +5, 250 +3, 500/1k/2k flat, 4k +3, 8k +5 and 16k flat or -1. That works for most rooms (for me). Always try to keep the 16k lower than the 8k to avoid screeching and excess crispness. Of course, your speakers will also affect how you need to EQ the sound. I do adjust the channel EQ to match mics. We use three SM58's but all three have different gain characteristics. I will alos boost the high EX for each mic and maybe add a little low for one or two of us. I run my keys straight thru, so I do boost the bass on my midi file player to about 2 o'clock on the dial.

#95356 - 07/27/07 02:04 PM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
IMHO, Cerwin-Vega's are not speakers to use for a PA; my apologies Chas.

[/B]

Hey, no need to apologize; different stokes for different folks. My CV's are at least 10 years old, but like new as i've played out very seldom during that time. I like them because they are wood-framed, but still light in weight. They also sound "bigger" than they are with a high-quality, high-power, power amp. I have one of those but don't like having to use a seperate mixer; plus, that power amp weighs about 8 tons.

Although I've had it awhile, I hardly ever use it (808s), so i'm sure you guys know a lot more about it than I do. Keep that good info flowing.

chas

#95357 - 07/27/07 08:55 PM Re: Person with Mackie 808s power amp, I need info
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Well I got out the manual and with the suggestions here, I feel a lot more confident. I now have in my head that the volume is not the problem. I'll turn every thing to zero but the sax mic and blow a few hard licks in the upper register and keep my eye on the clip light next to the input level and I'm sure that that will do the trick.

Then I'll do the same for the keyboard and the ih harmony box for the vocals.

Everyone's always liked my sound, but when I played up tempo and funky stuff on the sax, some times it would distort on certain notes and licks that I'd play loud.

This Thursday night farmers market is a big deal here in Grand Junction. I heard that a few thousand people pass by during the 3 hour or so event.

I just have to play for an hour and a half. They pay $100. I played once about 3 years ago when they first started and they only paid $25 at that time.

Thanks for all of the help.

Don when things get straight here I'm gonna make a trip friend. Please tell Susan and the boys hello for me, huh?

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 07-29-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online