SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95180 - 02/09/06 03:07 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
I found the MFD to be far more difficult to navigate than my registrations.

Hi Eddie. I certainly understand your concern. I can't speak for Gar regarding his PSR3000, but I find Tyros 1 & 2's MusicFinder navigation (via button scrolling) far easier to navigate, scroll, & search, than on the PSR3000. Why? Because the Tyros' MusicFinder's navigation buttons are substantially larger & more ruggedly built, with the upper/lower buttons (below LCD screen) independent of each other, vs single toggle type design used on PSR3000.

In addition, the Tyros' significantly larger (brighter) LCD screen (including larger EZ to read text fonts) and custom tilt screen make song list viewing/scrolling far easier on the eyes, of which is one of the reasons I opted to upgrade to Tyros from my previous PSR series KB.

Quote:

I gave the MFD a shot and even compiled a Favorites list to minimize scrolling. But, trying to scroll while playing required more dexterity than I could muster. The song title font is also much smaller than the font used for registrations.

With the alphabetical scroll feature, you can tap the lower button 4 times to reach the "D" songs or 8 times to reach the "H" songs, which speed up the scroll process, especially for songs at the end of the alphabet.

Quote:

In addition to the downsides of the MFD you posted above, pedal assignments became a huge issue for me. Using two pedals and assigning specific functions which vary from song to song is not something that can be saved in the MFD.

I keep my pedal assignments pretty much consistent.

Pedal 1: sustain
Pedal 2: fill to self
Pedal 3: Harmony on/off
Pedal 4: Registration Advance

As you can see I utilize (mix/match) both methods (MFD & regs) when performing my songs. For more spontaneous requests & casual venues, I may simply pull things from my MusicFinder all night, while, for more formal venues (shows) or medley tunes which require a lot of different KB setup configurations, I'll call on custom registrations.

Interestingly enough, I'm experiecing slower access navigation to song registration files, as I must press multiple buttons to navigate to a specific song registration bank file. For collection of say 20-30 songs, it's managable, but when you have to store 75-150 songs in separate alphabetical folders, and by then folders by genre , I find it a far slower navigation process than Music Finder. The ability to search for any specific song from your entire repetoire in ONE PLACE (via MFD) makes the most sense to me and adding the ability to link any song in MusicFinder to a specific REG Bank File would be a match made in heaven.

This of course is only my perspective, and I realize Pose will have to figure out the method which works best for him. In the meantime, I recommend everyone not let the technicalities get in the way of your keyboard playing enjoyment. Go have fun. Ok, I'm off to my gig. Later.

Scott

#95181 - 02/09/06 03:26 PM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my perspective, the big advantage of using both the MFD and registrations is that everything can be done on the fly. Add to this the laptop computer loaded with midi files, mp3s and lyrics and the combination of possibilities is awesome.

The best advice I have for anyone that has recently purchased a T2, PSR-3000 and any of the earlier models is to set up the entire system at home, then spend some serious time working with the systems available. Yep, a good, old-fashioned rehersal using everything you would normally use on the job. Do a couple four-hour gigs at home, go through the songs, be creative and you'll be amazed at just how easy and enjoyable those performances become.

Enjoy,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#95182 - 02/10/06 01:47 AM Re: Can't save regs on the ty2??
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

The best advice I have for anyone that has recently purchased a T2, PSR-3000 and any of the earlier models is to set up the entire system at home, then spend some serious time working with the systems available. Yep, a good, old-fashioned rehersal using everything you would normally use on the job. Do a couple four-hour gigs at home, go through the songs, be creative and you'll be amazed at just how easy and enjoyable those performances become.

Enjoy,

Gary

Just my 2 cents, and many of my ideas came from posts from Gary and/or Scott.

I have a number of ways of organizing styles for songs with folders. I started initially by creating my own set of 18 registrations that I use for various types of gigs. Each registration has a variety of music, I also used some of Gary's registrations 40s, 50s, 60s to further get organzied and because he's done a great job with the registrations. Next I created a master library of styles with series of folders labeled A-E, F-J and so on thru the alphabet.

When I find a style I like for a song I rename that style to coincide with the name of the song then place it in the proper folder. After months of work my library is pretty well established I can draw from the library. I also spend as Gary has suggested rehearsal time at home.

During this last fall season I was hired to play music at a fashion show with a Fall Harvest theme. The clients wanted some Andrew's Sisters music to be played during the show. Simple enough I created another folder (Fall Harvest Fashion Show) using my usb thumb drive at my computer then simply copied and pasted the selections I wanted into the Fashion Show folder. In the case of the fashion show there was a specific order of fashions that would be modeled. So that I could match the order of the songs to the models I then put numbers in front of the named styles so that I could have them in a specfic order. In other words, Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree would appear after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, but if I wanted Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree to appear before Bugle Boy in my folder I would rename the file in the Fall Harvest Fashion folder 01Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree and Bugle Boy as 02Bugle Boy. The numbering convention before song title helps me be as organized as possible especially when I'm playing a theme type gig. Of course, it is some extra work doing it, but it works for my use. I do supplement a bit with the MFD probably not as much as Gary or Scott does. I have also downloaded Gary's customized MFD files. Any changes to the MFD for the most part I do at my computer.

One other thing is that I also depend on lead sheets since I play very little from memory. That's where having a Muisc Pad Pro comes in real handy. Much of my music has now been downloaded into my MPP. Great thing about the MPP is that I can create play lists that correspond to my folders and/or registration setups in the 3000.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-10-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online