SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95102 - 01/20/02 08:39 PM Yamaha DGX500
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Here's the facts on the DGX500:
88 piano sized light weighted box style keys.
3.5"floppy disk drive reades STMfiles, Disc orchestra collection and Yamaha style files and plays and records your own songs on disk in SMF 0 format
Music data base provides setups for over 200 songs
610 realistic instrument voices(128 Panel and 482 expanded (8 MB of wave rom
135 accompaniment styles
song sequencer records up to 5 songs with 6 tracks each.
32 note polyphony.
wood grain legs included
sustain pedals included
uses PA5 adapter or 6 D Batteries.
Available to ship august 2002
53.9"W x 17"D x 38"H (product dimenstions on stand
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#95103 - 01/21/02 08:21 AM Re: Yamaha DGX500
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The DGX500 is a really nice move for Yamaha! I was very sursprised to see this as an 88 key model. Even if it's not weighted, it's still a great keyboard for the price. The design is rather nice too. I'm curious about the speaker system though. Any information about how many watts they put out or whether the tweeters actually work (unlike the inactive ones on the PSR-350 and 550)? I wish they would make an 88 key version of the PSR-550. I'd buy that one without question..... I personally like keys that are not weighted in regards to keyboards. I myself am also a drum player, and recording user styles in real time with weighted keys really limits the player. If you're recording a beat that uses a fast high hat for example. A weighted key will take longer to come back up. I've tried before to record drum loops on weighted keys and I find it often gets in the way. I persanlly think synth action is the best to use. I used to own a roland XP-60, and it had semi-weighted keys, but that's the furthest in weight that I will go.... I like a key that has a smooth and quick response..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#95104 - 01/23/02 04:58 PM Re: Yamaha DGX500
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks George for that information regarding the DGX500! I truly appreciate it!

But I do have some questions about the keyboard's features, if you don't mind me asking.

1) Is 32 notes of polyphony good enough for decent compositions? I am asking this because I know that if I get a keyboard someday, I will probably be doing a lot of layering, multiple tracks, drum rythyms, etc - so I am afraid that 32 notes of polyphony just isn't enough.

2) How good is the sound quality if there is only 8 MB of wave ROM?

Well, that is all the questions I have. I like how it has wood grain legs included along with other features, like a 3.5 floppy disk drive and a decent sequencer. It sounds really nice for the price, but the polyphony is questionable. I was really looking forward to hearing more about the DGX500 and I was really surprised to see that you posted that information out on the forum for us to see!

squeak, I agree with you completely. I was really surprised to see that is was 88 keys. Also, I do not like weighted keys because of the reason you gave in your post. It would be a problem to have weighted keys if your doing fast drum rythyms or using an instrument voice that does not work well with weighted keys. I would find it awkward to be playing an electric guitar with the feel of weighted keys, it would not feel as free and natural. I would like it to have a, like you said, quick response where you can perform any instrument you like.

Well, see you all around on the forum and have a nice day,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#95105 - 01/23/02 01:53 PM Re: Yamaha DGX500
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I did play this keyboard at NAMM . The action is on the very inexpensive side . If you think the PSR2000 is flimsy ? You will really hate this action ! IMO people ! dano

#95106 - 01/23/02 03:28 PM Re: Yamaha DGX500
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Ryan,
32 notes of polyphony would be just fine for this keyboards 6 track sequencer. If you want to record songs on software programs of course having more would be better, but remember, you can pick up a Roland JV1010 module or the new JV5050 module which was just released to add another 64 notes of polyphony later. Also, the sounds are good, not great, but what would you expect for the price? Musicians used to playing on the higher end Solton, Roland, Yamaha keyboards which use a semi wheighted synth action will find this new 88 key light piano key action different to play, but most customers get used to what they have and although a really good feeling keyboard is prefered, it is what keeps the cost down.
George Kaye
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online