SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#94176 - 11/08/02 10:43 AM PSR2000 O.S.
Arbaz Offline

What is the latest O.S. for PSR2000? How to check it? what are the changes in new and old O.S., and one more question initially on the Yamaha website they wrote that PSR2000 operating system is upgradeable now that line is gone, it is still can be seen on some websites, now I have been following the previous threads and I have noticed that Tyros suffer from the same type of flash rom as PSR2000 it might be bigger but basically the same trouble, but Yamaha representative (Steve) said it would be upgradeable if Tyros operating system can be upgraded why can't we upgrade the PSR2000 O.S. via floppy? Is it only because TYROS is $2500 and PSR2000 is $1200 After all it is not a $100 Casio keyboard it cost more than a grand, most of us (at least me) can't afford to upgrade every now and then, so what is the deal Yamaha?

#94177 - 11/08/02 02:39 PM Re: PSR2000 O.S.
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Arbaz, the latest chip version for the PSR 2000 is 2.0 I believe. That is on the new PSR 2000's presently shipping. Existing owners do NOT have the option to upgrade the OS via the internet or otherwise. The new PSR 2000's do not have the ability to update the OS although some of the first ones that came out ARE able to but Yamaha has decided that they will not write flash ROM OS updates at all. The reason I think they gave up on the idea and made the new PSR 2000's non-upgradeable is a money issue. The PSR 2000 is feature packed with high quality sounds, and I think there profit margin is not that much IMO, hence they didn't want to spend the time and resources in developing OS flash rom updates for it. Now you take the Tyros on the other hand and you have a keyboard that costs around 3x as much as a PSR 2000 and their profit margin is considerably higher no doubt, thus they have the time and resources to develop OS updates for the Tyros. They almost have to keep their word on the Tyros considering the price of keyboard and the ensuing lawsuits if they didn't provide some type of updating of the OS.

Best regards,
Mike

#94178 - 11/08/02 02:51 PM Re: PSR2000 O.S.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bottom line: Yamaha lied and sold the 2000 under false pretenses and many sites have not changed their advertising still today.
They didn't have any problem getting the false information from Yamaha, but seem to have a real problem deleting the false advertising.
You can upgrade by sending your keyboard to Yamaha and letting them change the chips.
DonM

#94179 - 11/08/02 04:35 PM Re: PSR2000 O.S.
Arbaz Offline

Thanks for the reply guys, can someone tell me how to check which version I have in PSR2000?

#94180 - 11/08/02 05:12 PM Re: PSR2000 O.S.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Abaz:

You can easily check your PSR2000's OS version by pressing/holding the notes: C#2, F2, G#2 simultaneously (C#maj triad chord) while turning on the keyboard. Use Tempo + / - and Star/Stop (Accompaniment) buttons to perform the various tests (main boot, main program, etc).

My PSR2000 older OS version reads:
Main Boot: 1.03
Main Proram 1.00
All others (BMP,Style,etc): 1.00

I believe the more current OS versions correct a bug where the 'fingering mode' is not able to be stored in Registration Memory. I am actually satisfied and have no problems whatsoever gigging professionally with my earlier OS version, and don't plan to send it to Yamaha for a physical chip replacement.

Have fun playing your PSR2000. It's a terrific keyboard.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online