SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93831 - 11/13/03 07:33 PM Beer For Lick
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Anyone playing the fast guitar lick on Beer For My Horses like the record. I don't mean in 6 beats I mean in 4 beats like the record.

I'm embarassed. A jazz guy can't do a country lick. I'm gonna try it on my sax tomorrow. I can't get it on the keyboard. It's about to drive me nuts. I bet that's the only fast lick that that country pea picking guitar player can play.

I bet DonM can do it and in 4 beats too, not 6 beats. Fran's a country guy maybe you can do it heh Fran?

If any of you hadn't tried it, you should.
I wonder if Dexter Gordon, Coltrane, Rollins or Micheal Breaker can do it? Wish I could ask them. If they'd say yes, I'd want to listen to them do it before I'd believe it.

I can do a close fake of it. I'm not talking about close. I'm talking exactly like the record. I mean live. Not sequenced at a slower speed.

#93832 - 11/13/03 08:40 PM Re: Beer For Lick
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
I bet that's the only fast lick that that country pea picking guitar player can play.

Boo,
Most country guitarists can wipe up the floor with other players. They have more speed and acuracy than most everybody....and they don't rely on distortion or overdrive to sustain and fill up the holes. They just PLAY man, play.

As for your tune ... sorry - no help here. I don't do that one.

#93833 - 11/13/03 10:29 PM Re: Beer For Lick
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do it, but I'll have to listen to the recording again to see if I do it "right".
The question is "can they do it like I do it?"
Actually, Dave is right. That guy on Toby Keith's songs can flat pick a guitar! Not sure if he is a session player or in Toby's band.
Anyway, I guarantee there are at least five guys in town here that can play it. Probably only me on the keyboard, he modestly adds.
DonM
P.S. I just listened to the recording and the guitar work is definitely multi-tracked. Not that's it's that fast, but there are too many notes and overlapping parts. It's either multi-tracked or there are two guys with identical-sounding guitars.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 11-13-2003).]

#93834 - 11/14/03 07:14 AM Re: Beer For Lick
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
UD's right about many of the country pickers, especially those who play professionally or in sessions. I've got several recordings of top country session players more or less "off the record". And what do they play in that setting----no, not three chords and a cloud of dust, but straight-ahead jazz tunes where they can really stretch-out.

#93835 - 11/14/03 10:03 AM Re: Beer For Lick
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I played with a guitar player in New Orleans when I was 30 or so. He was in his forties. He played with every country band in town but listened to Howard Roberts.

We did a lot of the top 40 in those days, but I was always pushing to do jazz standard stuff. we use to do "Everything's Coming Up Roses" as fast as you could tap your foot.

Man you should have heard this guy "COOK" on this tune. I made him do several choruses of improv until he got tired, and he never played the same lick twice.

He had a day gig to make a living. He could have worked with anyone. Music like bricklaying and many other things involve a lot of luck I mean being in the right place at the right time. There's guys in town I wouldn't hire because of bad habits laying brick that make more money than I ever did.

I don't think any one could make a living here in this town with music. At best it might be a good sideline income. I mean raising a family and such. I'm sure someone here is doing it maybe living in a one room apartment or maybe in their 57 chevy.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online