I played with a guitar player in New Orleans when I was 30 or so. He was in his forties. He played with every country band in town but listened to Howard Roberts.

We did a lot of the top 40 in those days, but I was always pushing to do jazz standard stuff. we use to do "Everything's Coming Up Roses" as fast as you could tap your foot.

Man you should have heard this guy "COOK" on this tune. I made him do several choruses of improv until he got tired, and he never played the same lick twice.

He had a day gig to make a living. He could have worked with anyone. Music like bricklaying and many other things involve a lot of luck I mean being in the right place at the right time. There's guys in town I wouldn't hire because of bad habits laying brick that make more money than I ever did.

I don't think any one could make a living here in this town with music. At best it might be a good sideline income. I mean raising a family and such. I'm sure someone here is doing it maybe living in a one room apartment or maybe in their 57 chevy.