SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93400 - 04/14/07 12:42 PM Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Here is a link to a free music notation program. They have a different free downlod every day.
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

My thanx to Taike for turning me on to this site. That's how I found that Beatles song yesterday. They were giving away a free web site builder. That company had example's of people using their program and as I looked in the music category I found the Italian site with Free As A Bird. So, I tip my hat to Taike, again.

Scott

#93401 - 04/14/07 12:49 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

BTW, that's approximately 1:40 AM central.

You must download AND install it during that time.

It looks like a good program so far.

Scott

#93402 - 04/14/07 12:50 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You're right, Scott...the site is terrific...I've downloaded a number of great programs...all for free...even games!

I just downloaded the music notation today.

Many thanks to Taike for the link...it is invaluable.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#93403 - 04/14/07 03:31 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Thanks, Scott and Ian. I had posted the link on 04-03-2007 so it's been around for some time.

Taike

#93404 - 04/14/07 03:49 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

Taike

You've got to remember I'm originally from Wisconsin and they are 20 years behind. Thank goodness.

#93405 - 04/14/07 03:55 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Scott: Great info. I have been using Finale Allegro and have been frustrated with it lately.

Two comments that maybe someone can answer.

1. I tried entering lyrics and it seems to place them above the notes not below.

2. Can't enter chords. Help file says to hit Alt+C or click chord palette. Alt+C blows the program up and there is no chord palette. Is this simply not a feature of the "school" version.

#93406 - 04/14/07 06:06 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi RobertG

I haven't had but a few minutes to fool with it so far. You mentioned it was the school version. I didn't notice that, but it would make sense. I am sure just like the free web site builder I downloaded yesteday that they have upgrades available that they hope most people will want and I'm sure it's designed with as few options as they can.

I would think though that what you want to do would be a standard thing. If I get at it and find anything out I'll let you know.

Scott

#93407 - 04/14/07 06:08 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

BTW, I've fooled around with Finale also and find it very puzzleing. Not very intuitive as compared to say Encore.

#93408 - 04/15/07 04:11 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
BTW, I've fooled around with Finale also and find it very puzzleing. Not very intuitive as compared to say Encore.

Scott thanks for the link. That program is a nice find. I have the student editon of Sibelius. Took me some time to pick up the tricks of using it but still find it not as easy to use as Magic Score, even though I spent all of 15 minutes playing with it. Looks like a keeper to me. Upgrade to the higher end version is not price too high. I think I payed $99 for Sibelius student.

#93409 - 04/15/07 04:27 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
Scott Langholff Offline

Got a question on the music notation programs. Can you put in 1st and 2nd endings with repeat signs etc? Or is it that these being midi that if you want to repeat something you have to write it out twice?

I've been trying to figure this out, even to go so far as to actually look at the help index. (This really is a last resort to me. Just don't like to look in the manual, just like on keyboard. I'd rather poke around and see what I can find.)haha

#93410 - 04/15/07 08:18 PM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
RobertG Offline

Scott: Repeats are something I did figure out in Magic Score. After you play your music you add repeats.

1. Click on the Symbols palette.

2. Click on the "Repeat Open" tool and click on the first measure that is in the repeated bars.

3. Click on the "Repeat Close" tool and click on the end of the measure of your first ending.

4. Click on the "Volta" tool, click on the measure inside of the range you choose in step 3 where the first ending begins, choose 1st and tell it how many measures from the start of the first ending to the end of the repeat you selected in step 3.

5. Click on "Volta" tool again, click on the 1st measure that is outside of the range of measures you selected in step 3, choose 2nd and the number of measures in the 2nd ending.

If you had a 3rd, 4th ending etc. you would expand the range of step 3 to include every ending except of the last.

#93411 - 04/16/07 05:42 AM Re: Free music notation program download until 1:40 AM
RobertG Offline

Got an email response from the company on my questions about lyrics and chords. Here is the response I got:

Hello!

1. When I enter lyrics they appear above the notes. Can they appear below the notes.

May be you have not last version (5.110)?

2. Can I enter chords in the school version. Hitting Alt+C causes a program error and there is no chord palette.

For this you have use version Maestro or Classic:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online