SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103827 - 03/19/07 07:07 AM Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As a youngster, music was my salvation. I ended up in the hospital (lot's of broken bones, a punctured lung from a stabbing) lot's of times, from abuse by a troubled parent.

Luckily, at the age of 11, I was able to make enough to help ease the situation for my four younger brothers, and leave home at the age of 14, where I could support myself and still assist my brothers.

Music is so powerful, and sharing the joy of music is an amaising, nobel thing to do. It can change lives.

Recently, I was honored to fund the purchase of a controller keyboard and needed Roland electronic drum components for the kids at the school where our good friend Dave Boyd teaches.

I suggested to Dave that we see if there is interest in this group in contributing to the school, with funds going to improving the music program. He works with talented, but troubled kids, and he's the most dedicated teacher I know of.

A contribution of $5.00 would purchase an instrument cord, strings, picks, etc. Combining our contributions would make it possible to do so much more.

Any interest? Dave is preparing a "wish list"/budget of needed items. If, as a group, we want to do this, he'll supply history of the school and his plan for improvements to the music equipment and program. The school is a 501-c non-profit, so any contributions are tax deductible.

Please let me know what you think. Don't send any donations yet, but let us know if you would consider participating. If we proceed, checks would be made out to the school and sent to Dave. We would get acknowledgement and thanks from the administration, the kids, photos of the equipment posted here, and all enjoy a good feeling in the knowledge that we made a difference and shared the gift of music that is so important to us all.

I'm in...how about you!

In appreciation...

Russ

#103828 - 03/19/07 08:54 AM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sign me up.
DonM

#103829 - 03/19/07 09:25 AM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
$5.00 ??? ... I've dropped that for far less worthy causes ...
t.

#103830 - 03/19/07 10:44 AM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, guys...it's no surprise you two are the first positive responders. If we do this, it not only helps needy kids, it shows support and appreciation for the dedication and efforts of one of our best friends and valuable contributor/members...a crusty old F*** with a heart of gold on his sleeve.

There is a childrens rehabilitation center here, and I have supplied them with several guitars, a bass, amps, a digital piano, drums and a sound system for over 10 years.

I maintain/replace/upgrade the equipment and harrass my player/friends to go with me several times a month to hang-out/jam with the residents. Several volunteer to give lessons-no charge. Believe me, we get much more out of the effort in terms of personal satisfaction than we put in.

It's a WIN, WIN deal, I say.

Don and Tony, thanks so much. I PERSONALLY appreciate your personal support and friendship.

To quote Tony, "I LOVE this place"!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-19-2007).]

#103831 - 03/19/07 11:38 AM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Russ

There are still some good guys out there, keep up the good work

I'm semi broke but not to broke for this. Count me in. You might consider PAY PAL for real easy payment. Make it easy they will contribute.

Jerry

#103832 - 03/19/07 12:27 PM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Jerry. We'll let Dave check out the Pay-Pal option at the school. I'm sure there's a way to process the necessary paperwork to use as proof of a tax deductible contribution.

Russ

#103833 - 03/19/07 12:34 PM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Sorry we missed the boat this time but will catch it for sure next time. Let us know when.

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 04-23-2007).]

#103834 - 03/19/07 12:34 PM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I'm in. Paypal would be easier.
Bernie

#103835 - 03/19/07 01:24 PM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow!

This reminds me of when we all pitched in to get Composer Ryan a new Yamaha Psr740 ... remember?!? That was such a great community effort!

This zone was sooooooo helpful in that quest that Yamaha USA even donated the keyboard so we could buy other useful gear for his composing needs. We set this kid up with great stuff, and he’s now composing his brains out!

I have to thank Russ for starting this ball rolling. I never would have asked you folks for help, but he was so excited to help my kids ( I sounds like Jerry Lewis !!! ) that I thought, hey - maybe it IS possible to get some of the gear we need to bring our second campus up to the standard that our main campus studio has.

Here's the story, in a nutshell:

New Hope Academy started 25 years ago as a private tutoring facility, but the kids did so well in our environment, and failed so predictably back in public school, that our founder and president found a way to keep the kids FULL time, but stay on a one to one, or very small group lesson schedule.....thereby enabling NHA to graduate these kids! We issue the diploma, hold the graduation, and throw the prom ... the whole deal!

Anyway – many of our kids are very, very talented in the arts. We have a major Mac Lab where we make movies and do computer animation. We have tremendous painters and graphic designers. Our music department is running ProTools, Reason, Logic and more. Our main campus has been set up for a few years, but we just expanded into a second facility ( where I work ) and we don’t have the budget to outfit the music studio as of yet. This is still a Mom & Pop business and we have a 2 to 1 ratio of students to teachers, so you can imagine the payroll we have for teachers alone.

The gear we need in our studio is as follows:

1) Power Mac G5 with expanded RAM and drive storage for digital audio use.
( Approx $4000 )
2) Dual 23” monitors ( we paid $1100, but they just were reduced to $800 each ! )
3) We’re matching a corner studio desk to the one we already have that houses all the gear. It’s a Sauder unit and it was $400 on line.
4) Russ has already given us the 88 key M-Audio keyboard controller we needed, so that’s in place
5) A few desk chairs, cables, mics, windscreens, stands and incidentals bring the grand total of the renovation to just over $7000.

We submitted this bid to our budget committee, and they said – “no way this year.” It’s understandable, because we just moved our main campus into a building that’s TWICE the size of the original one, and we only signed up 3 new kids to help fill it. We’re a non profit school that gets very little help from the parent groups. In most cases, the parents are the reason our kids need this place. Many come from beatings, molestations and other dysfunctional situations. In spite of all this … we send 90% of our seniors to COLLEGE!
NINETY percent ! ( truth )
Our kids thrive here. We give them respect when they don’t deserve it, and eventually … they get the idea. I swear, at least once a week, I’m brought to tears by the acts of kindness or growth that I see with these kids. I haven’t even been with this school for an entire year, and I already feel like I’m loosing family members at graduation. I hate to see them ( most of them ) go !

This is a wonderful gesture of community that Russ has started, and I know 96 kids ( and their teachers ) that will be forever changed and blessed by whatever contribution you can give to help them pursue, and achieve their dreams. We have no football team, no marching band, and no cheerleaders. We DO have chess masters, yoga experts, and fantastic, talented, artists, singers, dancers and musicians that can become useful, productive, CREATIVE members of the work force with your help.

Your contributions are tax deductible, heaven blessed, and certain to entertain and educate the musicians of tomorrow! Thanx for listening, and thanx to Russ for starting this wonderful movement in charity. Heartfelt blessing to you all, from Uncle Dave and his kids !

#103836 - 03/19/07 02:54 PM Re: Let's help some of Dave's kids...!
zuki Offline

No problem...sign me up. I can perhaps donate a few musical items too?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online