claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
VA 76 NOT VA 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!11

#93171 - 10/24/05 07:55 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
VA76 is the 76 note version of a
VA7 ( 61 note). I think the VA76 may have some additional functions? but they're very similar keyboards. I did a comparison on them a few years back.
Either way, the group would have VA7 & VA76 owners.

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by claudiu:
VA 76 NOT VA 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#93172 - 10/25/05 01:07 AM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks for pointing that out rikki.

By the way we haven't been seeing so much of you lately. How are both you and your husband doing ? And how is your software based arranger sytem using OMB and Soundfonts doing anyway ?

Great to see you posting again mate

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-25-2005).]

#93173 - 10/25/05 07:19 AM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
claudiu Offline

Cool - why do the Motifs don't have Zip/Floppy drives ? Just wondering.

#93174 - 10/25/05 07:07 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Nigel,
been having a bit of a break. Hubby's doing well thank goodness, though now that he's had to retire, I'm seeing TOO much of him, haahaa, he's taking up my precious forum time.
My OMB/Soundfont arranger is going well, I think it'll keep me busy for some time yet.
Frank (flr) keeps trying to lead me astray with all sorts of wonderful new softsynth options for the styles, but I'm still hanging in there with the fonts. It's so great having such an inexpensive arranger option to keep me occupied.

Lovely to hear from you.
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Thanks for pointing that out rikki.

By the way we haven't been seeing so much of you lately. How are both you and your husband doing ? And how is your software based arranger sytem using OMB and Soundfonts doing anyway ?

Great to see you posting again mate

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-25-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#93175 - 10/25/05 07:32 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, using modern math....when you have a lot and you spend a little you still have a lot....or is it....if you want to make it big you have to spend it big???

Good to hear your love one is doing well. Does he participate in your investment decision making (music)???

#93176 - 10/25/05 07:56 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
if that was the case, I'd be top of the hit parade. haahaa

Hubby has no interest in music what so ever. He doesn't even listen to music on the radio. There again, he kept me in keyboards for 20 years so I can't complain. He was happy to buy, as long as I wore a good set of headphones when he was around. Now I just make sure he spends LOTS & LOTS of time pottering round his beloved garden haa haa.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]or is it....if you want to make it big you have to spend it big???

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#93177 - 10/25/05 08:42 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by claudiu:
I'm going to play in a band. I will use the Roland VA76 like an arranger and the casio wk3500 - for completing the VA76 - those two are on a double stander. And on the other side, a friend is going to do stuff with the Motif. Do you guys think that will work out? I'm using the casio because it has cool sounds, and i'll play with the left hand on it and on the va76. The motif is for the other guy. Do you think that the Motif is necessary ? or i should play on the va76 and him on the casio...? Please, advices... Thank you very much for your answers.

motif is not necessary if you want to play solo and if you have an decent arranger.

things to do before buying

dump you Casio(i don't want to break your heart but),buy a good used workstation.nothing against casio but using casio for backing and soloing motif es doen't make sense.

if you want to go solo
or save money and go for sd1,pa1x,used t1 or t2 or stick with your va.yes you can play them with the band(or get a used wkstation like I said).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 10-25-2005).]

#93178 - 10/26/05 07:13 AM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
claudiu Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
motif is not necessary if you want to play solo and if you have an decent arranger.

things to do before buying

dump you Casio(i don't want to break your heart but),buy a good used workstation.nothing against casio but using casio for backing and soloing motif es doen't make sense.

if you want to go solo
or save money and go for sd1,pa1x,used t1 or t2 or stick with your va.yes you can play them with the band(or get a used wkstation like I said).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 10-25-2005).]

I will play in a band man! I'm gonna play on the va-76 arranger and on casio - My friend is gonna play on something - is that going to be MOTIF ES workstation ? that's what i'm asking - i'll use the arranger to play the "negatives" and sequences that i'm creating on zip/floppy ! and solo with right hand - and the other guy is gonna complete me - ! is that ok ?!

#93179 - 10/26/05 04:50 PM Re: I NEED SOME ADVICES ABOUT A MOTIF
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Claudio,
I'm not a performer, so I can't really advise. but you could use
VA7 to play styles in realtime or as a sequenced song/backing track, which pretty much takes care of the backing,
A motiff could be used for a sequenced song/backing track, but remember, it doesn't have styles ( like the VA76) so you'd have to record these songs in your sequencer from pretty much scratch.

You or your friend could use the casio to add additional parts to fill the backing out ie add strings, guitar whatever ie you're using it as a synthesizer.

I don't think you've mentioned whether you have a singer or whether one of the keyboards is going to play melody part?? If you're using keyboard for melody, then either the VA76 or Casio or Motiff could be used. Motiff would probably have the better set of sounds as it is a dedicated synthesizer.

If anyone can saw any flaws in my logic, please jump in, I'm not a performer.

Years back I've seen bands where a keyboard player had 3, 4 synths stacked together.
I would imagine the only reason for doing it is to give the player a choice of variety of sounds. Each manufactures synths had their own sound. Some had better piano's some had better strings, some had better brass, but it was probably in the synthesized type sounds that they varied the most.
The quality of the modern day synth & keyboard has come a long long way.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online