SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92726 - 10/29/02 01:14 PM Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
In exploring the Ketron XD9's internal styles, I've discovered that the XD9 lacks MANY of what I consider 'essential' styles patterns which are included in the SD1.

I assume though (to overcome this limitation), that it's possible to just import SD1 styles into the XD9 and then store them on the XD9's hard drive for quick (instant?) access. But how about SD1 styles which include Ketron's famed 'audio drum loops'? Can these audio loops be imported along with the SD1 style into the XD9, and then subsequently be played back on the XD9 along with the style as well?

How large are Ketron style files (including associated audio loops), and HOW MANY can be realisticly stored at a time on the XD9's hard drive?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

#92727 - 10/29/02 02:18 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
if an SD1 style is associated with an audio loop you have to import that as well for the style to sound properly. However, this an entirely different ball game compared with importing a style. A style can be easily saved on a floppy disk, while an audio loop can take more than 1 Mb (depending on the lenght, the sample rate and sample resolution): I don't think that the Ketron loops are sampled at 44kHz and 16 bit; still, don't think that they would fit on a floppy disk. My guess is that they have to be transferred to a PC first and then to the other keyboard. I have never done a thing like this, but once I will start transferring sounds from my Akay to the SD1 (via PC) I think that I could do the same with the audio loops I have on my sampling CD-ROMs.
Anyway, I will try to check this on the SD1 or the XD3 manual as soon as I can.
Speaking of styles, their average size is about 20Kb (only a few comples styles with long loops can take up to 100 Kb) and so on the HD you can store thousands of them (but each folder can store "only" 999 styles).

#92728 - 10/29/02 03:25 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Scottyee Offline

Andrea: This sounds like GOOD news. I suppose you could theoretically import ALL SD1 styles (including associated audio drum loops) into the XD9's HD and effectively have BOTH the XD9 and SD1 styles in ONE keyboard for equally quick access, right?

I would guess that style 'sound re-assignment' would be required for 'some' styles because many of the SD1 sounds are not included in the XD9, that is unless you can export that style's specific SD1 Preset Instrument Voice (as a WAV file?) from the SD1 to the XD9's hard drive (or FLASH expansion card?) as well.

Andrea: Thanks for your reply, and oh, CONGRATULATIONS on getting your new XD3 (module version of XD9).

Scott

#92729 - 10/29/02 03:30 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Dnj Offline

Scott,

did you buy the XD9 yet?

#92730 - 10/29/02 03:58 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott,

did you buy the XD9 yet?

Donny,
Scott better buy it before he loses any more sleep.
Terry

#92731 - 10/29/02 04:04 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Dnj Offline

hehehehe yes Terry,

I just got one and love it so far. I know Scott will too. Once you set it up for your playing style it ROCKS!!

Common Scott join the Ketron team!

#92732 - 10/29/02 04:33 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Scottyee Offline

Nope, still haven't made a 'final' decision yet. To be honest, I'm still weighing all the features/options between XD9 & Tyros.

XD9 advantages:
1) built in speakers
2) good keyboard feel
3) impressive acoustic piano sound
4) ability to import new sound voices
5) live drum audio loops (Wav files)
6) jazz chord recognition in both split & full kb modes
7) Manual bass feature & drum re-mix feature

XD9 disadvanatages
1) awkward 2 button push method to change variations (with fill in) from variations other than neighboring
2) smaller user community support than Yamaha
3)No MusicFinder Data base to store your complete song repetoire

Tyros advantages:
1) User friendly (familiar) interface
2) great auto 'fill in' to/from any variation
3) Impressive Mega Voices (Guitars, strings, bass)
4) Feature improvements over the PSR2000: HD, mulitiple intro/ending buttons
5) Lightweight (27 lbs)
6) Large User support community
7) Multi Seq Pads for added sponeneity

Tyros disadvantages:
1) NO built in speakers, not that lightweight considering this fact
2) more/less the same Yamaha styles as other PSRs
3) Sax, horns, woodwinds a 'let down' compared to 9000/2000, at least as heard on Dirk's MP3.

I realize there's no ONE perfect arranger KB out there but I still need to detrimine which ONE will suit ME best. So far though, I'm still pretty satisfied (more/less) with the PSR2000. Now if only the 2000 had a HD, better keyboard feel, better build, rootless chord recognition in full keyboard mode, blah blah blah . . .

Scott

#92733 - 10/29/02 04:45 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Dnj Offline

scott,

all thats well and fine in theory. But you have to dig in and get your hands dirty to really get the true feel of a keyboard. Buy it, try it, if you don't like it sell it! and move on to the next one. Playing an arranger KB is too subjective especially on a profesional level like we do to just make a decision on opinions from others.

#92734 - 10/29/02 06:07 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
tracknet Offline

Scott,
excuse me, but your thinking about upgrading from your psr2000 to another kb, XD9, which costs (I think) exatly the same price on Synthzone.... makes me think!
It is clear you think XD9 is better than PSR2000, but its price is similar.
Do you think PSR2000 it high priced so?
By the other side, you doubt between Tyros and XD9, but Tyros is much more priced.
So, it seems as you think XD9 is a great choice for its price, and Tyros is good but not so good for its price... Am I ok?

#92735 - 10/29/02 06:14 PM Re: Importing SD1 styles into XD9: does it include audio drum loops?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]you have to dig in and get your hands dirty to really get the true feel of a keyboard. Buy it, try it, if you don't like it sell it! [B]

Call me cautious, but buying and then having to quickly sell, and probably at a loss (if I don't like it) isn't really my big ticket purchasing style. I need to feel fairly confident that the kb I choose is going to be the BEST one for me BEFORE taking it home, especially if there is NO return policy. As far as I know, no Ketron dealer offers a 30 day return policy as Guitar Center did when Ketron boards were previously sold there by DanO.

Luckily I've recently had the opportunity to finally audition the XD9 in person. So far, VERY impressive. I look forward to auditioning it again before coming to any decisions. And there still is the question about Tyros . . . The MP3's sound impressive in MANY ways, but disappoint in others. I realize that until I can get my OWN hands (& ears) on the Tyros, I'll won't really know if it's worth the upgrade from the PSR2000 or not. In the meantime, I'll keep doing my homework.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online