SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92713 - 11/14/05 03:56 AM Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
For me personally, I prefer the Tyros styles. My reason is because I play mostly eastern/indian music and for those type of songs the Tyros styles are far more suitable.
Also I can record my own mulipads using the arabic drum kit on the Tyros.
The Ketron SD1 also has that "live band" feel doesnt it?
Which keyboards styles do you guys prefer? Would you say Roland is also like a polished CD ?

#92714 - 11/14/05 08:07 AM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I prefer the Korg over the Tyros. Yes the Korg does have that "live band" feel. I feel Yamaha's styles are over quantized. I think that in turn makes them sound less natural. It's not to say the Tyros styles are bad, but for a more natural feel I prefer the Korg. (If I had another choice I'd say Ketron)

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92715 - 11/14/05 08:11 AM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
Dave Wolf Offline

Loc: Granite City,IL USA
Simple---Have one of each !!

#92716 - 11/14/05 12:57 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Better still, convert the Korg styles to the Tyros 2 and save some money.

#92717 - 11/14/05 12:59 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
svpworld Offline

Where can I hear some good demos of the Korg's "band" styles?

Simon

#92718 - 11/14/05 03:19 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Much prefer the Korg's sound.

Too bad their product isn't as good an all-rounder as the Tyros is.

Zalman

#92719 - 11/14/05 03:36 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I haven't had my hands on a Tyros 2 or a PA1x but from the demos it appears that while both may have some improvement in sound quality over their respective predecesors, neither has changed radically in the style dept.

Have had my hands on both the PA80 and Tyros 1. My take:

Yamaha styles sound polished, polite, very much like a CD recording. Drums and bass are a bit weak for my tastes.

Korg Styles sound very "In your face". I like to play a lot of progressive rock, blues and sometimes jazz rock and a touch of jazz fusion. I like the live sound, so the korg styles in general work better for me. Unfortunately, some of the fills don't quite match every variation in some styles.

But... I much prefer most of the Yamaha panel ( lead ) voices over Korg's, with the exception of the Organs, and all synth sounds ( pads, leads, strings, combis, etc -huge advantage for PA80 in synth sounds, even vs the Motif series ).

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-14-2005).]

#92720 - 11/14/05 03:44 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I haven't had my hands on a Tyros 2 or a PA1x but from the demos it appears that while both may have some improvement in sound quality over their respective predecesors, neither has changed radically in the style dept.

Have had my hands on both the PA80 and Tyros 1. My take:

Yamaha styles sound polished, polite, very much like a CD recording. Drums and bass are a bit weak for my tastes.

Korg Styles sound very "In your face". I like to play a lot of progressive rock, blues and sometimes jazz rock and a touch of jazz fusion. I like the live sound, so the korg styles in general work better for me. Unfortunately, some of the fills don't quite match every variation in some styles.

But... I much prefer most of the Yamaha panel ( lead ) voices over Korg's, with the exception of the Organs, and all synth sounds ( pads, leads, strings, combis, etc -huge advantage for PA80 in synth sounds, even vs the Motif series ).

AJ

What about the Korg Harmonica ? It's one of my favorite voices. The British (Beatlesque) guitars are great also.

I have said many times that Korg styles are to me, very much like a few guys sitting around jamming. That's a good thing.

Simon,

The Korg does have some great big band (I assume he means) styles. I can do you a mp3 if you like.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 11-14-2005).]

#92721 - 11/14/05 05:57 PM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yes, I like the korg harmonica very much. I kinda include that with the organ voices in my mind anyway. I also like the Yamaha harmonicas too. Almost a tossup.

I agree that korg sound like a few guys sitting around jamming. Great analogy.

The concern for me is doing acoustic solos with vocals. Really it isn't a problem when space isn't at a premium because I then setup both my Motif ES and my laptop, which has amazing softsynth sounds. The ES does fairly good guitar stuff and I'm comfortable using those sounds solo without any backing, but not as good as Real guitar for example.

It's only a concern when I am cramped for space and can only bring one board. The korg guitars and pianos are passable ( some like them a lot I suppose ), but for me they are a bit unispiring when played as solo voices. Perhaps they are a little or maybe even much improved on the PA1x, but I can't find one anywhere to demo.

I hear the SD1 has really alive sounding styles along with nice panel voices too. Unfortunately, I've never seen one that I could try out.

AJ

#92722 - 11/15/05 10:43 AM Re: Do you prefer the live band styles of PA1X or the polished CD styles of Tyros ?
svpworld Offline

I'd like to hear an mp3 of the Korg, just to give my honest opinion on how it compares (personally) to my Tyros 2.

Simon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online