SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#92376 - 09/29/04 08:44 AM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Dnj Offline

Also ADD UP $6.00 per pack x how many packs you smoke FOR A YEAR and see what your burning up in smoke! Chewing Tobbacco is no beter!

#92377 - 09/29/04 08:48 AM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Guys, this is difficult. I am 33, smoking for 15 years now, had to quit for a few weeks (vocal polyps surgery), the habit returned.
Things I think will probably work (seen them work on friends)

1) Find out what habits are associated with smoking and quit them the same time. Be it morning cups of cofee, be it beer with friends, try to reduce them also.
2) Smoke a cigarette in the afternoon or night, after work, as a reward for one day of non smoking. "Tips" to yourself are not allowed.
3) Put a transparent jar somewhere and put the daily cost of cigarettes inside. Watch money accummulate fast.
4) Decline every cigarette offer saying "Thanks, I don't smoke". helps to reassure yourself that you are NOT a smoker anymore.
4) Since he is a musician, if possible, try to only play in places that cigarettes are not allowed.
5) Ask a professional for help. When your car breaks, you don't usually fix it yourself, right?

Hope your friend is successful, SemiLiveMusic, and above all, healthy ever after.

#92378 - 09/29/04 09:18 AM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
zuki Offline

Also...
One thing to try is "Quest" cigarettes. They are a minimal nicotine based product and designed to wean. Supposedly (I don't smoke) they are so awful that one will quit rather than smoke another one.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#92379 - 09/29/04 11:07 AM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Well, I hate to sound like one of those guys on TV. I smoked heavily for many years, quit several times but started again too.
Then one day I saw this stuff in the store, I had seen it on tv, and I never believe ANY of thos infomercials. I thought, what the heck, let me try this.
I bought the Smoke Away kit at the pharmacy, followed the instructions and believe it or not, IT WORKED.
Its been a year and I have not touched a cigarette since. Not even cravings for it.
Smoke Away did it for me.

#92380 - 09/29/04 02:24 PM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I tried the nicorette patches and they made no difference whatsoever UNTIL I took the patches off my arm and stuck them over my specs. I still wanted a ciggie but could not see where they were to light one up!

Best wishes
Tony (Don't smoke in bed!)

#92381 - 09/29/04 02:27 PM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Dnj Offline

My friend DIED using those patches...because he also smoked while wearing the patch giving him a Double Dose of Nicotine causing a Heart Attack!
He was 40 and left 3 kids behind!

#92382 - 09/29/04 02:31 PM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Dnj Offline

http://www.presmark.com/htmlfile/pictures.htm

check out the pics....it will help you quit smoking!

#92383 - 09/29/04 03:20 PM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Donny,
You know I hold you in the greatest respect and I really hope you did not take offence at my lighthearted quip above. It does seem in poor taste after reading the experience you related above.

best wishes T

#92384 - 09/29/04 03:47 PM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
Dnj Offline

Tony........No problem..some people like to smoke and thats fine to each his own....I smoked for 20 years and quit cold turkey at my wifes birthday pary in a Nigtclub here in New York while I was playing with my 7 pc band. I had such a bad cough that night I though I had throat & lung cancer & actually scared myself big time, when I went to my car after the gig I threw a pack of Marlboro on the floor stepped on it and never smoked again ....that was 21 years ago!
I just want my friends and loved ones around for a long time thats all...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-29-2004).]

#92385 - 09/30/04 06:42 AM Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
It's been 20 years now since I gave it up but like most of you guys I tried once or twice before I stuck at it.

I was then selling musical instruments during the day and playing out in the evening and getting through two packs a day (smoking most but giving away plenty). They didn't seem to cost that much then so that wasn't a major factor.

No - What really did it for me was my little girl coming home from junior school in tears. She had been shown an anti-smoking film and had seen someone's lungs full of tar and old that this person had died from smoking cigarettes.

At first I was mad at the school for scaring her but the deed had been done and my daughter nagged me to stop smoking. I only had to remember her face that day she came home and that really helped me kick the habit into touch,

The ironic thing is that the same daughter later began to smoke when she left college and has only just given up about a month ago despite me reminding her about the film....

Kids...... Aaaaaaarrrrggg..... But she did me big favour I'm sure and I really hope she has kicked it herself now.

The best method? - Dunno! - But get your pal to do it.

KFingers

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online