OT - Friend wants to quit smoking

Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/28/04 09:18 PM

A bass player friend... he's scared now. His mom just got a lump in her chest. His dad died of lung cancer, so did uncle. My friend smokes like a chimney. He's a tobacco addict, age 43. Looks 55. He said he kicked a morphine addiction, a codience addiction but can't lick the cigs. I told him far as I know, cold turkey is only way I've heard good results. He said he really does want to quit. (I hate cigs.) He admitted he despises them too. I don't know what to tell him, how to do it.
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 02:02 AM

His mom just got a lump in her chest. His dad died of lung cancer, so did uncle.

How much more warning or reason does he need !!!!!
Posted by: zuki

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 04:50 AM

Sometimes, individuals just don't have the willpower to quit bad habits until it smacks THEM right in the face. Hearing about others just doesn't cut it. My wife knows she must quit, but the addiction is too strong. Even with a rapid heart beat that sent her to the hospital last month, she is still at it....like a chimney.
zuki

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
His mom just got a lump in her chest. His dad died of lung cancer, so did uncle.

How much more warning or reason does he need !!!!!

Surely you know how evil tobacco is. I am searching for feedback from people who might have insight as to what WORKS to quit. Maybe an expert on here.

From what I have gathered, consensus so far is COLD TURKEY is the most successful method. Although, success rate, I doubt, is that high.

Tobacco is evil, I tell ya. EVIL. People gloss over the fact how evil it is. I see these young people puffing away like it's so cool. It ain't cool. (And yep, I was an idiot when I was young and foolish.)

Right now, I am washing the clothes from a gig last night. I had to shower just to sleep cuz it was on my skin and I couldn't stand it.

You would think somebody would invent a purifier that actually WORKS for bars.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 06:02 AM

Cigarette addition has been described as worse than heroin, and I sincerely believe this is the case. I smoked for more than 30 years, tried quitting a half-dozen times, and finally, 20 years ago, I was laying in bed with a moderate to severe case of pnumonia and gasping for every breath. I fell asleep for about an hour, woke up and reached for a cigarette. At that point, I quit--cold turkey.

The secret success, at least for me, was to have my wife toss all of the ash trays in the trash can, wash anything that smelled like cigarette smoke, and tossed that last pack of cigarettes in the trash as well.

For the next two weeks, I was the most misserable SOB on the planet to live with. And, for at least a year or more I would wake up in the middle of the night, dreaming I had a cigarette in my hand.

Now, after nearly 20 years, the smell of cigarette smoke becomes noxious, even when I'm outdoors. I gues there's nothing really worse than a ex-smoker!

Gary
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 06:29 AM

Since past July I can say that I am a proud ex-smoker (20 cigarrets/day).
I am happy with this radical decision.

Chico
Posted by: Dnj

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 07:51 AM

Only YOU can QUIT Smoking, Only if YOU want too!
Just carry a picture of your wife & kids around look at it and think about life.......

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-29-2004).]
Posted by: Alex K

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 08:01 AM

I agree with the previous posts that only the person himself can quit smoking, and if they want to. At the same time, if they do resolve to themself to do it, I think the things like the nicotine patch and nicorettes should make it easier than in the past. In fact, I have heard an advertisement on the radio about a medical clinic offering quit smoking injections. They say a single shot is all it takes. Fortunately, having never touched a cigarette in my life, I have no reason to test the validity of their claim; however, there must be some basis to this claim.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
He said he really does want to quit

Tell your friend that if this statement is honest, he's already 90% home free. Tell him the difference between humans and other life forms is that we have free will. The next step is to find the mechanics of what will work for HIM.

Cold turkey IS NOT the only way... everyone is different. For some, gradual weaning works. Simply estimate how many cigs are smoked in a day, then every morning, 'ration out' that day's supply... one less each day, or every other day.

BTW, I certainly don't mean to suggest that quitting smoking is easy, for many, quite the contrary. But when there's a will (he wants to quit), there's a way. Good luck.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by GlennT (edited 09-29-2004).]
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 08:30 AM

I used nicotine gum, it's expensive and it took me about 2 or 3 years of trying. The thing I liked about the gum is the package is a pain in the ass to open so it gave me something to do with my hands when it was cigarette time.I tried the patch but you put it onb and forget it. I need the routine of opening the pack of gum.
But I had decided to put $150 in my budget every month for the gum sometimes I smoked and chewed gum at the same time. Sometimes just the gum but then I bummed a cig from everyone I saw. It was the hardest thing I've ever done like I said it took years to quit. You just have to keep trying and don't let a setback get you off track.
I'm 55 been smokin 40 years. Then I had to get off the gum, thats another story. Been free over two years I'm afraid of the gum or the cig now because I know how easy it is to get back in the habit. And I've found better things to do with the money

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 08:44 AM

Also ADD UP $6.00 per pack x how many packs you smoke FOR A YEAR and see what your burning up in smoke! Chewing Tobbacco is no beter!
Posted by: trident

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 08:48 AM

Guys, this is difficult. I am 33, smoking for 15 years now, had to quit for a few weeks (vocal polyps surgery), the habit returned.
Things I think will probably work (seen them work on friends)

1) Find out what habits are associated with smoking and quit them the same time. Be it morning cups of cofee, be it beer with friends, try to reduce them also.
2) Smoke a cigarette in the afternoon or night, after work, as a reward for one day of non smoking. "Tips" to yourself are not allowed.
3) Put a transparent jar somewhere and put the daily cost of cigarettes inside. Watch money accummulate fast.
4) Decline every cigarette offer saying "Thanks, I don't smoke". helps to reassure yourself that you are NOT a smoker anymore.
4) Since he is a musician, if possible, try to only play in places that cigarettes are not allowed.
5) Ask a professional for help. When your car breaks, you don't usually fix it yourself, right?

Hope your friend is successful, SemiLiveMusic, and above all, healthy ever after.
Posted by: zuki

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 09:18 AM

Also...
One thing to try is "Quest" cigarettes. They are a minimal nicotine based product and designed to wean. Supposedly (I don't smoke) they are so awful that one will quit rather than smoke another one.
zuki
Posted by: arnothijssen

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 11:07 AM

Well, I hate to sound like one of those guys on TV. I smoked heavily for many years, quit several times but started again too.
Then one day I saw this stuff in the store, I had seen it on tv, and I never believe ANY of thos infomercials. I thought, what the heck, let me try this.
I bought the Smoke Away kit at the pharmacy, followed the instructions and believe it or not, IT WORKED.
Its been a year and I have not touched a cigarette since. Not even cravings for it.
Smoke Away did it for me.
Posted by: Tony W

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 02:24 PM

I tried the nicorette patches and they made no difference whatsoever UNTIL I took the patches off my arm and stuck them over my specs. I still wanted a ciggie but could not see where they were to light one up!

Best wishes
Tony (Don't smoke in bed!)

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 02:27 PM

My friend DIED using those patches...because he also smoked while wearing the patch giving him a Double Dose of Nicotine causing a Heart Attack!
He was 40 and left 3 kids behind!

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 02:31 PM

http://www.presmark.com/htmlfile/pictures.htm

check out the pics....it will help you quit smoking!
Posted by: Tony W

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 03:20 PM

Donny,
You know I hold you in the greatest respect and I really hope you did not take offence at my lighthearted quip above. It does seem in poor taste after reading the experience you related above.

best wishes T

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/29/04 03:47 PM

Tony........No problem..some people like to smoke and thats fine to each his own....I smoked for 20 years and quit cold turkey at my wifes birthday pary in a Nigtclub here in New York while I was playing with my 7 pc band. I had such a bad cough that night I though I had throat & lung cancer & actually scared myself big time, when I went to my car after the gig I threw a pack of Marlboro on the floor stepped on it and never smoked again ....that was 21 years ago!
I just want my friends and loved ones around for a long time thats all...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-29-2004).]
Posted by: KFingers

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/30/04 06:42 AM

It's been 20 years now since I gave it up but like most of you guys I tried once or twice before I stuck at it.

I was then selling musical instruments during the day and playing out in the evening and getting through two packs a day (smoking most but giving away plenty). They didn't seem to cost that much then so that wasn't a major factor.

No - What really did it for me was my little girl coming home from junior school in tears. She had been shown an anti-smoking film and had seen someone's lungs full of tar and old that this person had died from smoking cigarettes.

At first I was mad at the school for scaring her but the deed had been done and my daughter nagged me to stop smoking. I only had to remember her face that day she came home and that really helped me kick the habit into touch,

The ironic thing is that the same daughter later began to smoke when she left college and has only just given up about a month ago despite me reminding her about the film....

Kids...... Aaaaaaarrrrggg..... But she did me big favour I'm sure and I really hope she has kicked it herself now.

The best method? - Dunno! - But get your pal to do it.

KFingers
Posted by: nardoni2002

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/30/04 05:27 PM

semilivemusic,reading your story has given me to at least reduce my smoking,and i have discovered today a brilliant way to cut down with NO withdrawal symptoms,i normally smoke about 30 a day,(40 years)i tried this new method out today and its down to 12 cigs,after only one day ,tomorrow i will try to cut down to 9,then 6,etc i will let you know how i get on,(HERE IS THE SECRET) i found that when you light a cigarette it is only the first puff or two is all that you need to supply your nicotine addiction,so after 2 puffs cut off the lighted bit with a pair of scissors ,when you next want a cig relight same cig and take another 2 puffs,again cut off lighted bit,this may sound a bit mean,i have reduced my smoking intake by 18 cigs in 1st day,without no problems,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 09-30-2004).]

Re: OT - Friend wants to quit smoking - 09/30/04 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nardoni2002:
semilivemusic,reading your story has given me to at least reduce my smoking,and i have discovered today a brilliant way to cut down with NO withdrawal symptoms,i normally smoke about 30 a day,(40 years)i tried this new method out today and its down to 12 cigs,after only one day ,tomorrow i will try to cut down to 9,then 6,etc i will let you know how i get on,(HERE IS THE SECRET) i found that when you light a cigarette it is only the first puff or two is all that you need to supply your nicotine addiction,so after 2 puffs cut off the lighted bit with a pair of scissors ,when you next want a cig relight same cig and take another 2 puffs,again cut off lighted bit,this may sound a bit mean,i have reduced my smoking intake by 18 cigs in 1st day,without no problems,mike

That's pretty cool, Mike.

Whoever said their daughter came home in tears, I know another guy this happened to. The daughter was distraught and they finally figured out when she fessed up "Because Daddy's gonna die."

I am collecting all of this for my friend and I will hand it to him. He told me again last night he really wants to quit. Not sure yet about that but let's hope.

I can't tell you how much I despise cigarettes. I don't badger people but it just seems insane when you think about. You are sucking in a known POISON, actually a bunch of them, with every breath.

I watched a man at a bar at a gig last weekend. He was right next to me at the bar when I took a break. I noticed my gosh, how much he is inhaling. I started counting. Every 12 to 15 seconds, this guy took a drag. One cig after another. Chain smoking, one drag every 15 seconds. Now, that is disgusting. That poor man was pathetic. Heck, all smokers are. I hope they scare heck out of kids but it doesn't look like it's working to me. Young people, it's WAY up there. I don't know percentage but it's really high, how many smoke. If I play in young person's bar, it's HORRIBLE with the smoke.

Tobacco companies are evil.