SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92280 - 05/15/07 05:54 AM Roland e-60 vs e80
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
I have heard lots of talk about the e-80 here and it does seem like a wonderful (if oddly shaped) board. I have listened ti some of the impressive demos and it clearly sparkles. I would like to know what the REAL differences between the e 80 and e 60 are. Are the sounds the same? The styles? I know there are fewer sounds and styles in the 60 and there is no after-touch, but is the quality of those sounds and styles inferior? Is one a beginner board while th other is an advanced "pro" board? I am a gigging musician in the market for a new arranger - I have been using a Technics KN2000 (as a MAIN BOARD, I should add) forever - and I am looking at the Roland boards.Thoughts, anyone?

#92281 - 05/15/07 08:28 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
E60 is a little brother to E80, and that means less styles (with less complex structure), less poliphony, and more important, less sharped sampled sounds. it was a large discution at the time when the both boards were released about the clarity and quality of sounds, and i also got to the conclusion that even though the sounds are the same as number (i hope i remember right) the quality of the sample is pourer on E60. you can easily notice that also from the demos on their website.
nevertheless, the E60 provides you with some features that none other keyboard offers in this price range: 76 keys (with good feel), guitar mode (very handy in writing guitar tracks), good styles, modern and very inspiring, good sounds, etc.
i wouldn't call the styles "inferior" to E80, but just less complex. in fact, many of the E80 styles are also in the E60, but modified as structure, according with the hardware's possibilities.
as my oppinion, i would say if you really like E80 (many don't, so be noticed) you would not go wrong with E60 either. the best way, give them a try when you can.

#92282 - 05/16/07 01:16 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
o3bor Offline

I agree with Adimatis' comments; I want to add that, compared to E-80, E-60 is missing also the Virtual Drawbar mode, the Vocal Harmonist, the 3 MFX for Song/Style parts and the single part equalizers, but it is lighter, cheaper and has 76 keys.
It mainly depends on what you're looking for and on your needs.

#92283 - 05/16/07 06:09 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
what they have done is absurd: make a $1500 kb and a
$3500 kb, both of which have glaring drawbacks, instead
of one $2500 kb, which could have become the industry
standard for years and something that would be heaven
for players to enjoy... a 76-key great-feeling lightweight
good-looking kb like the e60, combined with the vocal
harmonizer (or at least a mic input w/controls/efx) better navigation, optional multipedal capability, and other upgrades the e80 offers. Instead what we have is a bare-bones e60 and an ugly 50-lb 61-key behemoth of an e80.

Miami Mo

#92284 - 05/16/07 06:39 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mo, what you get with that 50 lbs...is the most powerful on board sound system on the market...There are many other pluses you get with the E80, too

Drawbacks for me are the 61 keys on the E80, and if it holds true as in the past, the lesser models do not sound as good as the top models..

BTW , I haven't played either one...only played the G70..that has the key range and feel, and the goodies offered on the E80....5 pounds less weight..

#92285 - 05/16/07 10:31 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have to confess, the E80 does not have sufficient new sounds or features for me to want to give up my G70.

Firstly, I have NO need for built in speakers. I play strictly under gig conditions, or at home in the studio, both of which provide FAR superior amplification. Secondly, for me personally, I need a 76. Haven't gigged anything smaller for 15 years. So just in form factor the E80 has two strikes against it.

The only OS improvement I covet is the style-to-text and bitmap display options, and I think there's a slim possibility the text-to-style might make an appearance in the G70's OS. The bitmap stuff we have been told needs hardware the G70 doesn't have, so no chance of that!

A lot is made of the E80's three MFX insert effects, compared to the G70's one (for keyboard Parts only), but the truth is, there's an easy workaround (connect the Direct Outs to the IFX - an extra MFX with RCA inputs for external gear) that now gives us TWO MFX, and one can go on Style Parts. So not that significant, at least IMO.

The two Mastering Effects blocks (compared to one on the G70) again have little impact on me. I HATE the compressor (no metering, so VERY easy to over-do, and I'm TRYING to sound dynamic and 'live', NOT CD-like!), and use very little master EQ (got a mixer for that!), so no problem there....

I have yet to even get one SRX board, so two SRX slots would be wasted on me! (Although I'm starting to take a shine to the Brass board)

Damn thing's heavy enough without adding another 5lbs for the speakers! Plus I use a full flight case for it... (but someone will pay me top dollar for it when I sell it five or ten years from now!). I usually prefer duo work, so weight isn't QUITE the issue some seniors have with anything other than fly-weights.

The sounds..... So far, I haven't heard anything on a demo that makes me go 'I GOT to have this...!'. Yes, there's a 'slightly' improved piano, but I already LOVE the G70's main one, so no real 'need'. A few new drum kits, but again, nothing I can't live without, and a few sliced audio loops of drum 'performances' (ride loops, etc.) that I think are gimmicky and I'll probably tire of, quickly. Some extra sounds, but apparently, a LOT of older sounds missing, as Roland decided to leave out a lot of the Sound Canvas sounds that make backward compatibility much easier. I had a G1000 prior to the G70, and actually LIKE some of those older sounds! Plus it makes converting older styles a bit easier...

So... long story short (as if! ), until Roland come out with a new 76-er, hopefully with the return of the Chord Sequencer and MANY new features and sounds, I don't see the point in 'upgrading' to an only slightly improved arranger.

And for those of you thinking about the E80, try to play a G70 (with OS3 installed) along side it if you can. I think you will find it to be fairly (very!) similar, and now that G70's are being sold at some MI stores, while the E80 still languishes in CK 'Mom and Pop' stores, with little discount, you can probably get a G70 for nearly a grand less than an E80. Someone sold a slightly used one here for $2k recently. That's a bargain compares to nearly four grand for an E80....

The E80 is a VERY good arranger... I just don't think it is $1000 better than a G70.

#92286 - 05/16/07 12:22 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Diki.

The G70 here in the UK is far cheaper than the E80 and these are still selling very well. With you mentioning that the E80 styles have been converted for the G70 (and they are very good because my neighbour has a G70), I agree totally with you above.
The benefit of 76 notes would be great and the G70 is also lighter, so you'd get a far better deal going for a G70, unless the few extra options in the E80 are really what you need.

I still like the G1000 piano rather than the new ones in these arrangers. That machine was just so classy when it came out and is a great buy if any come up 2nd hand.

#92287 - 05/16/07 04:43 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Diki Offline

The G1000 piano is in the G70. But I never use it any more, the GrandX FantomX piano is FAR better (true stereo rather than fake panning mono samples, more velocity switch dynamics) and MUCH warmer in the middle of the keyboard, something I used to find lacking in the G1000.

I don't like overly bright piano sounds. I've got a real piano, I play Steinways and Yamaha's all the time for studio work, and VERY few arranger pianos give of that mid range warmth that a real piano does. Most of the arrangers sound like you are pounding the darn thing, even if you are playing mid or low strength. This just makes quiet passages sound 'distant' and brittle, rather than 'close' and warm, which a real piano does (IMO)...

It's easy(-ish!) to get a good piano sound at the top and bottom of the keyboard, but detail and warmth in the middle is very elusive. The G70 is the first hardware one I've enjoyed (soft-pianos like Ivory are MUCH better). My comments, though are entirely about the GrandX patch. I quite dislike most of the others, mostly because of too much 'hammer knock' sound on them. But, IMO, one good piano sound is all you need!

Of course, if you prefer that bright, almost tack piano sound that cuts through ANYTHING (Yamaha's pianos come to mind, even including some of their REAL pianos!) you are not going to agree, but spend some quality time on a really good piano (play some soft passages, put the soft pedal down now and again!) and then go back to your arranger. NOW do you see....?

#92288 - 05/16/07 04:56 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Diki Offline

Mo, I can see you are upset with some of the feature losses on the E60, but, pray tell us, which features WOULD you drop off the E80 to save $1500?

And what 'glaring' drawback does the E80 have other than being heavy? Most Wersi owners are going 'THAT ain't heavy!'

Be realistic... what you REALLY want is a full E80 for MUCH less that Roland can make it. Me, I want a Maserati for the price of a Honda. I want a T2 for the price of an MM6. But I don't think complaining is realistic...! (or effective)

You can often find G70s for the mid-to-upper $2ks. THAT is the product you are asking for! Lighter than the E80, all the same control possibilities, and even BETTER output options, 76 keys! You virtually described the G70 in your post....

What's stopping you?

#92289 - 05/16/07 05:09 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
miden Offline

Loc: The World
to add my bit...i have the e-50 (on top of my yammie s90es)and it does sound quite good throught the PA.... but now i am seriously considering (even to the point of getting my dealer to get a "price" for me) moving up to the g70, and ditching the e-50 and the yamaha...i might consider a motif es rack, but that is ONLY for the electric guitar sounds, nothing else...and if roland add the OS updates diki has mentioned, as i think they are essential, especially the chord sequencer, then choosing the g70 is a no-brainer...(when was the last time you got an os update from yamaha??)
dennis

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online