SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91890 - 02/13/05 02:17 PM Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Need some help gang...

I have a Digitech Vocalist Access (Tom's old one, in fact)...I'm told its very similar to a Digitech Voacalist VR..

Friday night I dropped the power supply...

It was disconnected...Upon plugging it back in, the unit would not power up. I suspected I damaged the power supply...I went out Saturday morning to locate a new one. Most places didn't have the proper adapter. (It needs 9.75 volts AC and 820 milli-amps)

Finally I located a universal adpater that lets you choose a setting...which is rated up to 1000mA. I figured I was home free.

I set everything up as usual today...the unit powered up just fine...The information panel is functioning normally...however, when I sing into the connect mic...there is no audible vocal coming out. I can see the unit is getting a signal. Also, the midi communication looks ok also, (IE: if I play a E minor chord on the Tyros...that's what's displayed on the Digitech.

I have crossed checked all cables...they all check out fine...

Here's my gear and hook-up info:

*Two 1/4" cables out of the Tyros into a stereo channel on my Behringer PMX 2000 10 channel mixer

*Two 1/4" cables running out of another stereo channel to the inputs on the rear of the Digitech

*Mic connected to mic input on front panel of Digitech

NOTE: I can see a signal is being recieved by the Digitech harmonizer, but again no vocal sound can be heard.

Digitech VR Harmonizer settings are as follows:

Harmony Hold-on
Reverb-Cathedral
Midi-Channel 1
Midi prgrm-off
Zone-Below b5
Scale Smooth-off
Global Reverb-on
Global mix-off

The level on the lead vocal is max
The level on harmonies is set at 32

I'd really appreciate any help that can be offered. Right now I'm not sure if its fried (I doubt it since it seems to be receiving midi data ok) or what. Is there a factory reset perhaps that might be worth looking at?

Thanks a million for any help...

PS: What is the difference between the Digitech Vocalist Access and the Vocalist VR?

Bill in Dayton

#91891 - 02/13/05 03:04 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
Roel Offline

I'm sorry to see you are having problems.

Is the original power supply a 'single' voltage one ? (e.g. 9.75 Volts)
Some equipment wants 2 (different) voltages (e.g. 12 and 9V on seperated connector pins)

One thing worries me :You write "It needs .....Volts AC (Alternating current)"

I could be wrong but the one you purchased is a DC (Direct Current) one ?

If it is a DC-supply, it is possible some parts of the VA do work (display etc). Other parts, as operational amplifiers most of the time need both + AND - voltages..... and the - voltages often need AC to be generated.

Please check the PS you purchased!

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-13-2005).]

#91892 - 02/13/05 04:03 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill--WRONG POWER SUPPLY! The power supply you need is 9-V AC--not DC with a 130-mA rating. The digitech will not function with a DC power supply. Sure, the lights will light, and there may be sufficient AC ripple for the signal to be processed, but not enough for the vocalizer to function.

The Digitech uses an HPRO PS0913B-120 power supply, and it is the only one that I know of that will work correctly.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#91893 - 02/13/05 04:17 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
BTW, I have one of those Digitech vocal processors for sale if anyone needs one. Like new, with power supply.
DonM

#91894 - 02/13/05 04:40 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Guys-

The packaging on the adapter says:

Upon further review...

Digital Universal AC Adapter

"Converts AC power from a wall outlet to Digital DC power to eliminate expensive batteries"

I have tried:

Radio Shack
Rex Audio
3 different Music stores in Dayton
2 different electrical supply houses
Wal-Mart

Two questions:

How the hell do I get my hands on one of these by Tuesday afternoon?

Have I done any damage to the Digitech by using (or trying to) use this other adapter?

Bill in Dayton

#91895 - 02/13/05 05:04 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Is this the exact adapter I need?
http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PS913B.htm

This is the one I need for my Digitech Vocalist Access? Can anyone confirm this?

If yes, just call me Noah...I'm buying 2 of everything from now on, lol...

Bill

#91896 - 02/13/05 05:05 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
Roel Offline

Bill,

The package of the one you purchased says AC adapter but the output voltage is DC !

Your wall-outlets supply AC into the adapter, that is why is says "AC adapter".

The digitech probably is not damaged, some circuits just don't work without a portion of Alternating Current

Any ordinary transformer with 9 or 10V AC and 1000 mA (secundary voltage) will do. Any good electronic-part shop should be able to hand one over right away.

In fact the one you purchased can be modified very easy by an electronic engineer :
Just remove the DC-circuits and connect the output wires to the correct transformer-terminals.
I could fix it for you in 15 minutes

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-13-2005).]

#91897 - 02/13/05 07:10 PM Re: Help needed ...Harmonizer stopped working...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Just call Digitech and have them overnight one to you. You'll have it by Tuesday morning.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online