SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91808 - 12/29/01 08:50 PM Just bought psr 740, hurray!
XP60User Offline

Loc: On, Canada
I don’t know if I am an exception to any rule. I bought the psr 2500 long long ago, and found it very hard to use. And then I thought iwould buy a smaller one so I bought a smaller pss 270, couldn’t use it much either, and then finally I decided to buy the xp60, and I for some reason (others seem to be going the other way on this) found the xp60 a synth, easier to use, as a novice, then an arranger. Now after using the xp60 for the last three years, I have finally gotten up my musical talent that I have just bought a brand new psr 740, and am proud to say that I can play it, as I have never been able to play arrangers before, (YES I AM A PSR 740 OWNER, the xp60 stays though, and I am already beginning to see limitless possibilities with this duo).
My two cents on the arranger/synth debate:
I believe there are two ways of approaching an arranger. The way I play, improvisational, off of the top of my head, I sing that way too (whatever comes to mind or fits the beat/rhythm/music), I found the arrangers very hard at first since I had to listen to the accompaniment, to fit in my improvisation just at the right moment, and this proved frustratingly hard in the beginning. The xp60 (a pro synth) solved that problem as it doesn’t have any accompaniment, and with its arppegiator, (much simpler accompaniment) I was able to develop my timing from ground up without listening to complicated accompaniments/arrangements found on arrangers. As well I would use the same midi file over and over again and put in my improvisations, getting better, as I was getting used to which musical turn was coming when. Now having practiced on xp60 for so long, I have built my timing skills up to the level where I can play an arranger.
From my experience a sequencer/synth is for beginners, and then the arrangers for pros. Because on arrangers you have a lot more going on, and the way I play, nothing is planned so unless I am really used to the keyboard, I am making the decision to play the note at the very last moment when I hear the accompaniment.
The second way of approaching an arranger, is to memorize the chords and play from memory, exactly as you had planned it. In that case I can see how the arranger can be of help to a beginner as the beginner gets an encouraging accompaniment to move his memorized chords forward. Having played on arrangers for some time now, in the shops (as well as muddling along with my psr’s, and pss), I have come to appreciate the talent that goes into playing them. Its all about timing. Whereas on the synth/sequencer like the xp60 you have to create a set before hand and practice on song over and over until its perfect, on an arranger the possibilities for improvisation become the center stage. On a synth you would use your grey matter mostly before the performance (to create the midi file), but with an arranger it can be both ways (before the performance to create a midi file, and then during the performance arranging on the fly).
In conclusion imo:
Arrangers are for beginners if you are memorizing every chord and cannot deviate, it encourages with a good background, and for pros it opens up endless improvisational (arrangement(left hand) and melody (right hand)) posibilities.
Synth/sequencer, great for solo play, sound creation, and creating a song from scratch, but not for improvisational one man band situation. As I developed my timing skills with the synth, in terms of arrangement improvisation I found synths restrictive, but as a beginner I found synths simpler than arrangers for creating improvisational music.
Now with the psr 740, I am kicking it. Man I just used the vocal harmonizers, and WOW! It just brings out the singer in me.
By the way, where can I get the psr 8000/9000, korg pa80 etc. styles for the 740? Any one site that provides all the downloads?
Sincerely
Benz

#91809 - 12/29/01 09:21 PM Re: Just bought psr 740, hurray!
Beakybird Offline

Congratulations! The PSR740 is a great keyboard. If you are looking for styles, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/files/ and http://spectromagic.com/PSR-Styles-Vault-Archive/. Here you will find many many styles for your new keyboard. I hope you have a lot of fun with your keyboard.

Larry

#91810 - 12/29/01 09:28 PM Re: Just bought psr 740, hurray!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats on your new 740. There is a Yahoo Group that has a very large style file.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/

The one downside to the 740 is that you can only load 3 user styles at a time. To add another you have to replace you previously loaded. But it is a great KB. Enjoy.

#91811 - 12/29/01 10:56 PM Re: Just bought psr 740, hurray!
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Congratulations with the PSR 740.
You will find lots of PSR stuff (styles, software, tips and tricks, linkse etc.) at The Unofficial YAMAHA PSR Resource Site at http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages

The site originally started as a PSR 740 Web Site, and it still has a "PSR 740 Corner".

Best wishes
Jørgen

#91812 - 12/30/01 02:48 PM Re: Just bought psr 740, hurray!
XP60User Offline

Loc: On, Canada
Thanks everyone!
Just checked out the sites.
WOW, there is alot of stuff, phew. I am going to be really busy with this.

Any other stuff i should be aware of, like OS upgrades, or major bugs that have fixes?

Thanks in advance.

#91813 - 12/30/01 06:31 PM Re: Just bought psr 740, hurray!
Beakybird Offline

Since it takes a long time to load styles, I recommend Style Player which you can pick up at SVPworld.com. If your PSR740 is hooked up to your computer, you can open Style Player, open a style on your hard drive or floppy, and press play to immediately listen to how a style sounds. It's a good way to browse styles.

Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online